Random observations as a Fire Mage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Random observations as a Fire Mage

Going through the game a 2nd time, both times as old camp (once as guard, now as fire mage). It's too bad that New Camp won't let you get magic sooner (for all of the fun map quests) and Swamp Camp won't let you go all the way...

Anyhoo, some thoughts:

- People in the old camp don't seem to care anymore about me going into their huts as a Fire Mage. Are they intimidated? I just go in with the owner standing outside or even inside, and rummage through their stuff and leave, with nary a complaint or saluatation...

- You can do a quick beat-up-and-steal as a mage (or a warrior with scroll) with the Sleep spell. I used sleep on Arto and Scar (at separate times), and just pummeled them while they were in a daze. When you hit them, their figures stand up, but they seemed to be sleeping still... Anyway, I just love how Raven, Gomez and the other guard don't seem to care one bit about you pummeling them THE FIRST TIME. I accidentally knocked Scar out a second time, and everyone got krazy mad, esp. Raven, who came in like an avenging wind and slaughtered me in 5 blows

- You can use the sleep spell to temporarily take out observers in a room, so that you can steal stuff in chests or lying around. I used this on the guard in the weapons/chests room in Gomez's castle, and was able to take the weapons off the wall without incident (make sure the guard isn't waking up when you take something!... otherwise he gets hostile, and Bartholo the Invincible gets in on the action too, sometimes).

- Fireball takes off about half the life of an Orc Scout, while Storm of Fire (which costs double the mana) takes off only about 85% off of an Orc Scout, with the side-effect of disabling the creature for a while. For a purely damage/mana ratio efficiency, it's therefore probably better to go with Fireball than Storm of Fire. However, sometimes Storm will take someone out in one hit, which definitely makes it worthwhile, esp. if you have multiple opponents. The stun effect is also a *good* thing.

- I've gotten a 3 mana and 5 mana Fireball off, but I can't seem to get a 4 mana Fireball. Is this even possible? If it is, it would be just the right amount to take out a Biter without overkill. (3 mana Fireball leaves a biter with just a hair of life left).

- Ice Block is a *GREAT* spell for 1-3 opponents. It freezes them while doing a little damage, and it allows you to kill them at your leisure, or stall for time while you take out the other baddies. All this for only 3 mana! When it gets to be more than 3 enemies, though, it starts to lose effectiveness (as you won't get to freeze more than 1 or 2 before you can't cast any more and you're overwhelmed).

- Oh yeah, here's a biggie: If you manage to kill an enemy with a long distance attack spell (in the first hit), then the creature's friends (i.e. fellow orcs or biters or whatever) will NOT react! However, if you merely damage the creature, then everyone in the area will swarm you. I managed to trigger a massive Orc Dog swarm by undershooting my Fireball...

- Orcs significantly outrun humans in a straight race

- Putting ZERO skill points in any weapon is a possible strategy for getting up to the Fire Mage promotion. I've been using a Rusty Two-Hander (from Stone's chest) for a while now, and I've been whacking everything with it; weapons training increases attack speed and rate, but you can learn to live without any sort of training at all. It's paying off now, as I'm a level 14 Fire Mage with Circle 4 training and 63 Mana and 20 SP left to play with (and still no weapons training .

- A guy in a red robe swinging around a large sword with the grace of humpty-dumpty is a wonderful sight

The Orc Cemetary awaits!
- Wind
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 12:36 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Yes, being a Mage requires a learning curve. As you can tell now, any dumbass can win as a warrior.

You'll have a nice time figuring out best spells for different situations, like Razor attacks, the Free Mine, the undead orc priests... oh so many!

Last edited by Erb Duchenne on Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:30 pm
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Erb Duchenne
Yes, being a Mage requires a learning curve. As you can tell now, and dumbass and win as a warrior.

You'll have a nice time figuring out best spells for different situations, like Razor attacks, the Free Mine, the undead orc priests... oh so many!

Well, Snappers I've taken care of with just my unskilled Rusty Two-Hander and Fire Robe armor, though I do take some damage (1 snapper battle takes off ~15% of my life). None of my spells seem to kill them outright, and oftentimes it's hard to lure them to get a 1 on 1... Though if I do get a 1 on 1, I just use Ice Block and whack'em to death. For Razors I imagine using the same tactic (unless I get Circle 5 magic by the time I face'em).

Heh, and I don't know about the warrior route being the dumbass one. Although more often tha not, my tactics as a warrior fell into 3 categories:

1) Rush in and whack everything to death, and whack'em some more.

2) Lure 1 guy away, and whack'em 1v1

3) Hit and run a group of supportive baddies (like the Thug Camp, who'll all gangbang you if you attack one). Then come back and hit and run some more.

I never had to use combat spells except for Shrink Monster (for the 10-ton beast and Death to Undead (for that otherwise invincible dude).

Being a Mage IS more fun, I do agree

- Wind
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:10 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Windwalking
I never had to use combat spells except for Shrink Monster (for the 10-ton beast and Death to Undead (for that otherwise invincible dude).

They are not invincible. Both the troll and the zombie can be killed with a sword (my str is around 110 though and I got dmg 90 sword or something like that--all legaly obtained too ).
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:09 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
quote:

They are not invincible. Both the troll and the zombie can be killed with a sword (my str is around 110 though and I got dmg 90 sword or something like that--all legaly obtained too ).

Heh, I believe my warrior only had 44 str at the time with a Krush UrRok(dam 60?) so to him, it was invincible...

And how did you get str 110 for the search for focus stones? I guess it must NOT have been your first time through

- Wind
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:07 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Apart from some immortal humans and one semi-immortal undead orc shamman, I think everything is killable with the sword.

You can also beat people up with a sword, without killing them.

Thus the sword really is the most versatile weapon.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:26 pm
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Apart from some immortal humans and one semi-immortal undead orc shamman, I think everything is killable with the sword.

Thus the sword really is the most versatile weapon.

Yep, the warrior route is definitely the easiest, but being a wizard is more fun (for me, anyway). It makes some battles that would normally be child's play challenging (groups of orcs are annoying as heck until you get wave of ice...)

Then again, wizards can make some battles a lot quicker (notiably the 5-6 bloodhounds on the way to mountain fortress). 6 storms of fire, and they all dead, no life lost

- Wind
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:32 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
And how did you get str 110 for the search for focus stones? I guess it must NOT have been your first time through

No, it was my second time through the game. The absolutely first thing I did in chapter two was buy a spell of tranform into bloodfly and flew straight for and through the orc camp, into their prison and got myself that revenge steel or whatever it's called. But in order to use it, I needed high str. So I spent all my skill points on sword mastery and strength. Once it was at 100, I had couple of str potions saved up.

I have a theory that it would be possible to get revenge steel at chapter 1. But I dont' have the time and patience to test this out. The question is also, do Orcs kill meatbugs (they are sort of indifferent to bloodflies and scavengers).
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:54 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Sleeper = immortal.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:54 pm
Muds Dog
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Sleeper is NOT immortal. But he does have 9999 resist to swords+arrows.

Open up Marvin, target the sleeper, and use Kill. It takes two kills to kill him, then he dies. Oddly though, he appears after that like an NPC - the name above him without having a weapon withdrawn but from a range.

Also, use 'k' to go forward into the area behind him. Walk all the way to the back.

Then turn around and go back --- you'll find The Sleeper has dissepeared.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:26 pm
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

quote:

I don't think a sword can hurt a Stone Golem.

quote:

The charged up Uriziel does kill people.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:00 pm
elonin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm playing a fire/water mage and the wave of ice seems worthless. Storm of fire is really cool, however.

elonin
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:39 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yup! Storm of fire is (for me) the best spell. One charged up to max. killes almoust everything, and the spell damages nearby creatures! Combined with Wave of Ice it is unstopable. I am unstopable. By the way - I have level 21 water/fire mage, I have 1h weapons at 2nd level, Bow at 2nd, Circle 5, Acrobathics and Sneaking.

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:56 am
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Warrior = Easy and fun.
Mage = Tough and very fun.
Ranger = Good luck.

I beat the game using a bow only character and it took forever. Many saves and loads but I can kill most things using no melee weapon training now.

left, right, left, right, up, left, right, left...

Do that with correct timing and all 1-on-1 fights you will win while pushing your opponent back, closing in, and taking no damage.

EDIT: Before people jump on me, yes, I did have to use Uriziel near the end a little bit.

Unreal 2: The Disappointment
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:09 am
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

GTA 3 RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS: I use the technique left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up, left, right...

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:37 am