Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Will the Gothic franchise stand the test of time/progress?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Will the Gothic franchise stand the test of time/progress?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been reading up on an upcoming game for the X-box, and hopefully the PC called 'Fable'. If this game is half as good as it's creators claim, it will take everything that Pirranha Bytes has brought us and make it 10 times better. (Reffering to the AI; immersiveness, etc..) We all know that the makers of Gothic were the first ones to make a world so real, and they will go down in history for that. But will future installments be ran over by other competition, or will Gothic 2/3 remain on top in terms of quality, similar to the way Gothic 1 surpassed the later Morrowind? *at least that seems to be the general concensus on this forum*
What do you think?
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:36 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I think that Fable is going to be a great game but i wont compare it to Gothic... much Fable, as far as i know, wont have such a free roaming evironment as Gothic. That can be a good or bad thing depending on the view but i personally wont like that aspect. (assuming i remember correctly) When you get a quest you are teleported to the area and then are teleported back when youre done.

I guess I've gone a little off track but to answer your main question: No, I dont think G2 will stand the test of time but it will have a special place in my heart and my computers heart

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:31 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

We´ll see if Fable is as good as the devs want to make us believe. Molyneux knows how to market his games.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:01 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Very true, Gorath. Very true...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:19 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

My take

The notion that the existence of one game will diminish that of another game is one that I’m skeptical of. I enjoy Gothic and Gothic 2. At the same time, I enjoy games like Diablo, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, TToEE and so on.

Based on history, the one thing to look out for that tends to lead to the demise of a great series, is any kind of change that affects the original development team. That could be team members leaving. It can also mean team members not having full creative control. It can also mean team members not getting the amount of time they need. But essentially, anything that affects the original team of developers, at least for me, sends up my red flags that a great series could be going downhill.

Single player Ultimas. R.I.P.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:36 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Re: Will the Gothic franchise stand the test of time/progres

quote:
Originally posted by Jabberwocky
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been reading up on an upcoming game for the X-box, and hopefully the PC called 'Fable'. If this game is half as good as it's creators claim, it will take everything that Pirranha Bytes has brought us and make it 10 times better. (Reffering to the AI; immersiveness, etc..) We all know that the makers of Gothic were the first ones to make a world so real, and they will go down in history for that. But will future installments be ran over by other competition, or will Gothic 2/3 remain on top in terms of quality, similar to the way Gothic 1 surpassed the later Morrowind? *at least that seems to be the general concensus on this forum*
What do you think?

Every game's developer is going to try to make you believe that their game is the best, of course. I personally don't see much in what I've heard of Fable. Personally, I don't believe that ANY console-based RPGs have EVER cut it (maybe KOTOR, but that was in simultaneous development for the PC). They're all too much like action games. The only ones that do any good are the ones ported from or concurrently developed for the PC. That's just my opinion however.

Gothic and Gothic 2 will be classics we'll all look back on. When I get older and have kids, I'll have them play Gothic and Gothic 2 (just like my parents had me play the original Donkey Kong).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:41 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
I think that Fable is going to be a great game but i wont compare it to Gothic... much Fable, as far as i know, wont have such a free roaming evironment as Gothic. That can be a good or bad thing depending on the view but i personally wont like that aspect. (assuming i remember correctly) When you get a quest you are teleported to the area and then are teleported back when youre done.

I haven't read that about Fable yet, Korplem. If that's true then I totally agree with you - I wouldn't like that either!
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:52 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

if those jackasses that rate games start to understand what makes a good rpg then gothic will be around far longer than any of us
Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:19 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by Shmaugus
if those jackasses that rate games start to understand what makes a good rpg then gothic will be around far longer than any of us

Too true!

Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:17 am
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

AMEN!!!
I guess when I started this thread I had in mind the fact that the english add-on to G2 would probably be released after or around the release of Fable. Being the huge Gothic fan that I am, I naturally want it to be the most popular RPG. Most popular = more sales = more future installments. I just hope that other games, like Fable, do not steal all the credit and popularity, and G2 and the add-on get lost in the mix.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:50 pm
Razer
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

The one thing that will make G2 and 2.5 fall from where they are now( a very lonely first place ) is the marketing strategy of PB and their distributors for the games.
The English addon mised the Cristhmas shopping frenzy.And this is not good for PB and for us (cause we don't get to play the addon until 2004 )
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:43 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

PB have nothing to do with and no say in the marketing strategy.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:45 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

They should change

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz

They really should...
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:42 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Re: They should change

quote:
Originally posted by Neptiofpovar
quote:
Originally posted by Jaz

They really should...

Agreed! It's really a shame how overlooked the games have been. I really want Gothic 3 in English!

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:35 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Re: They should change

quote:
Originally posted by Neptiofpovar
quote:
Originally posted by Jaz

They really should...

Most developers don't have anything to do with marketing. That's just how things work in the gaming industry.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:33 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next