Usergroups
Looking For Thief Info
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
grimzap

Looking For Thief Info

Hi,

I didn't use a thief-type character because it has been a while since I saw a good implementation of thieving. For those of you who have tired this, can you answer a few questions?

1. When you steal something does everyone know you did it no matter if they saw you or not? In other words, can you be undetected in thieving?

2. If you have stole in one town, do they know you are a thief in another (caught or uncaught)?

3. Can you sneak up and pickpocket someone in broad daylight in a crowd? Do others ever catch you in the act?

4. Can you burgle a home undetected during the night or day?

5. Can you be an assasin and get away with it if you are careful?

Thanks.

grimzap
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:30 pm

WinnipegDragon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

**POTENTIAL SPOILERS**

Answers:

1. Nope, if you are undetected, they don't know. Just don't try selling anything back to a merchant you stole it from. They can recognize their own goods (maybe they use maker's marks or something).

2. If you are caught, but only if you are caught, then there is a price on your head. If you flee form the guards in one town, another town's guards will know about the price on your head. Your guild can help you with this.

3. Yes you can, I don't know if others will report your crime or not.

4. Yup, if no one sees you.

5. Dunno about this. I think you can kill someone and if they do not raise an alarm, or report the crime, you can get away with it. However, you can taunt them until they attack you first, and then it is self-defense!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:45 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

okay as a thief of the 23rd sign:

you will recieve a offical writ (free kill) from the assasins guild. Anyone other than that who is killed (and others are around to report the crime) you will have to pay like 147gold per kill. When you do an official kill you, the crime will still be reported and i guard will still come after you but you will show the writ to him and the bounty will be removed.

The most important thing to know as a thief (and I just found this out this morning) is if you have even a bounty of 5 gold and talk to a guard, you can pay this and give back the stuff....BUT THAT BAD THING IS THEY TAKE BACK EVERYTHING THING THAT YOU HAVE EVER STOLE DURING THE WHOLE GAME, EVEN THE STUFF THAT YOU GOT AWAY WITH STEALING AND NOBODY NOTICED. I lost every single freakin thing I was wearing, since I don't like to buy stuff. I had to quick load, learning my lesson. So just never talk to a guard with any kind of bounty.

If you try and steal of pickpocket, not a single person can be looking at you, or you will be caught.

This game is actually the first real game, that it pays to be a thief. Usually you have to be some kind of fighter/thief, but here, I just kill everything with a bow, so my low hitpoints don't matter. Lots of people are playing an assassin, and yes...you can do so much as one...so enjoy
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:59 pm
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, I'm glad you can get a writ to assasinate people from the Guild. My Night Blade's speech skill is only 9 so I haven't been able to get certain people to attack me. But, can you apply the writ to anyone, or does it have to relate to an assasin's quest?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 6:34 pm

Yeah, that whole "guards can sense stolen items" thing is just shabby. It kind of makes sense if there was a statute of limitations on it, or guards in cities far away from where the items were taken, but having your things all taken several months after the fact by a guard on the other side of the island because you got caught pilfering some bread and he "knows" that your robes are also swiped is just lame.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:43 pm

firt off its liek 1000 per kill, secondly, if you kill to many people they just sorta attack you anyway and you must live life as an outlaw
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:46 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: Looking For Thief Info

quote:
Originally posted by grimzap
Hi,

I didn't use a thief-type character because it has been a while since I saw a good implementation of thieving. For those of you who have tired this, can you answer a few questions?

1. When you steal something does everyone know you did it no matter if they saw you or not? In other words, can you be undetected in thieving?

2. If you have stole in one town, do they know you are a thief in another (caught or uncaught)?

3. Can you sneak up and pickpocket someone in broad daylight in a crowd? Do others ever catch you in the act?

4. Can you burgle a home undetected during the night or day?

5. Can you be an assasin and get away with it if you are careful?

Thanks.

grimzap

See WinnipegDragon's post..all his answers just about hit the nail on the head.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:20 am