MMORPGDot Feature: Ekim's Gamer View: Single-player MMORPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

MMORPGDot Feature: Ekim's Gamer View: Single-player MMORPG

<DIV>Friday means Ekim-day on <A href="http://www.mmorpgdot.com/">MMORPGDot</A>, as you might now. This time Ekim talks about the subject of Private Encounters and Instances in MMORPG's, a concept that seems to be pretty popular among most MMORPG designers nowadays. A trick to reduce lag, or a gameplay improvement? Here's a snip:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><I>But I have some issues with it all though. The advent of privately spawned areas seem to be bridging some of the gap between single player games and mmorpgs. And although that is certainly a good direction to take mmorpgs in, I’m afraid that it might work against the genre in the long run. Mmorpgs’ greatest defining feature is the fact that you play within a community of other players. Alongside, or against them, but together for better or for worse. </I></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The article can be found <A href="http://www.mmorpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=790">here</A>. </DIV>
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:57 pm
Vaann

I personaly think the new "private encounters" that a lot of deelopers are doing is a fine thing. Beeing a 10 year Online RPG vet I play these games for the persistant world and exploration possabilities and not to be FORCED to group with people ....

I do enjoy grouping, chatting and adentureing with many people, but I prefer to solo or small group hunt ... and some games currently are trying to wipe that aspect out. These new "macro encounters" that are in most modern MMORPG's are to me a god send. I can still be inoled in the "world" and not be dictated into grouping....

Persistant world games .. as I call em would be perfect IF they did play like a single player but had the freedome and vast areas to explore that you get with a MMPORPG ...

Vaann ...
Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:05 pm

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I agree.
Post Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:02 am