Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How will the Xbox and PC Versions differ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

The more I think about it, the more I can't wait for the XBox version.

I bought the XBox over Christmas....for the kids, of course. My husband's 'family' gift was a huge Sony HDTV (Hi Definition). Halo is one awesome game to watch the boys play....can't wait to see how Morrowind looks!

I have no problem playing in 480x640 for now.....

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:16 am
Bob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

LOL please tell me you where joking about the PS2 comment there is no way that system could handle morrowind.
Also the graphics chip in the x-box aint really that outdated its actually practically a geforce 4.
really the only shortcoming is the resolution because any of the good mods will be released on a demo disc from the official mag and when the online component is released this summer we will be able to download mods. BUT lets not turn this forum into a x-box vs Pc forum like the officail one has become so lets all shutup.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:33 am
Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yes, the XBox's graphics card has the same capabilities as a GF4
-XBox = $700
-GF4 = $700

hmmmm.

We (me, myself, and I) are the the Knights who say "Nee"!
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:02 am

Re: How will the Xbox and PC Versions differ?

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
What (Besides the TES set) will be the main differences between the Xbox and PC versions?

Simple.

Fact 1: The PC version is one of the best games ever made.

Fact 2: Only the PC version will be able to use the many mods that will be made.

Fact 3: A Geforce 3 Ti200 costs $120. An Xbox costs $300. (US)

Fact 4: The Xbox version, since it is 'the Xbox version' inherently sucks and anyone that buys it (or an Xbox) instead of the PC version is a moron.

That is all.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:34 am

Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Potentated Knight of Ni
Yes, the XBox's graphics card has the same capabilities as a GF4
-XBox = $700
-GF4 = $700

hmmmm.

Xbox only comes with 64mb RAM, so my speculation is that the xbox version will not be as complete as the PC version other than missing the construction set.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:49 am
hoverboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

64 MB RAM on the Xbox is *NOT* like 64 MB on a PC...

quote:
Originally posted by Beo
Xbox only comes with 64mb RAM, so my speculation is that the xbox version will not be as complete as the PC version other than missing the construction set.

See my earlier post regarding the 64 MB of RAM in the Xbox. In short, the Xbox is able to use it's RAM much more efficently because there are literally no other system processes running. The Xbox OS is a tiny footprint in the memory as opposed to that of the Windows OS. There are zero other applications/processes using resources and reserving memory space, hence making the 64 MB of RAM in the Xbox worlds apart from a PC with 64 MB of RAM. At any given time in Windows you can have an average of 25 (and more) processes running while the computer looks as if it is doing nothing, all taking up memory space (and CPU cycles). This is simply not the case on the Xbox. The tiny OS allows 99% of the RAM to be used 100% of the time. By devoting nearly ALL of the Xbox's hardware to running a single application you'll find that games run as if they're on a 1.2 GHz CPU with 256 MB of RAM... PC that is.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:43 am

Re: 64 MB RAM on the Xbox is *NOT* like 64 MB on a PC...

quote:
Originally posted by hoverboy
quote:
Originally posted by Beo

See my earlier post regarding the 64 MB of RAM in the Xbox. In short, the Xbox is able to use it's RAM much more efficently because there are literally no other system processes running. The Xbox OS is a tiny footprint in the memory as opposed to that of the Windows OS. There are zero other applications/processes using resources and reserving memory space, hence making the 64 MB of RAM in the Xbox worlds apart from a PC with 64 MB of RAM. At any given time in Windows you can have an average of 25 (and more) processes running while the computer looks as if it is doing nothing, all taking up memory space (and CPU cycles). This is simply not the case on the Xbox. The tiny OS allows 99% of the RAM to be used 100% of the time. By devoting nearly ALL of the Xbox's hardware to running a single application you'll find that games run as if they're on a 1.2 GHz CPU with 256 MB of RAM... PC that is.

Actually, that's not the reason that the X-Box is superiour to a comparative PC. If it was, a dual 1.2Ghz Palomino should spank the X-Box silly. Put the game on realtime priority on the second CPU, so it has more or less 1.2Ghz for itself, throw in the 512mb DDR with quite the bandwidth, and a 128mb GF4, and you should have a system insanely faster. Still, it usually won't be.
The reason is optimization. There is only one configuration of X-Box, and you can optimize to use every single ounce of resource at any time in the game. So you don't have one scene that takes 110% of the system resources to run @ 20fps, and another scene that can run @ 100fps without using a lot of resources.
On the PC, you are constantly fighting mismatched systems that have quirks that you can never plan for. And some people will have a powerfull gfxcard, but a relatively weak 800mhz proc, which may throw any assumptions the developers made out the window.

L.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:22 pm

Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

If you have to share a televsion with your family and you have a computer, You should get the computer verson so that you do not get kicked of the T.V. after playing Morrowind for many hours by siblings .

We (me, myself, and I) are the the Knights who say "Nee"!
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:52 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2