What should I play?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Orgull
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What should I play?

Hi! I've just finished Morrowind and although I consider myself an "old-school" CRPG'er I occasionally enjoy a good mindless hack 'n slash to clear out the cobwebs. I've got Dungeon Siege (waste of time) and Throne of Darkness (impossible controls, no respawning) and I'm looking for a good dungeon crawl. Something with lots of combat and levelling and cool item drops (other that Diablo 2, I've played it to death). Any suggestions?

Thanks
Post Tue May 28, 2002 12:26 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

If you don't mind goind 1-2 years back, I can recommend Nox, Revenant, darkstone as quite good hack 'n slash games, where you can put your brain on "hold" while playing, but your fingers must be swift on the keyboard at times, especially "Revenant". "Icewinddale" I also consider as linear hack 'n slash in an AD&D world.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 12:42 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Nightstone is new "Diablo clone" with interesting idea:
you will start with three characters (fighter, sorcerer, "bowman") in three corners of map and move them to center where they will meet.
However I am not sure if it is already out. It is not very well known German (I think) project. I suggest to try demo (but I am not sure if there is demo).
Post Tue May 28, 2002 1:28 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Nox.
Action is great (very different strategies are required for each of the 3 chars), pace is fast, balancing is perfect. The only thing missing is collecting masses of items. Westwood decided to focus on combat, items have a lower priority.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:48 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Don't really have any game to add to the above posts, but I'm curious about your opinion of Dungeon Siege. It would seem (from everything I've heard) that DS is exactly what you're looking for. What caused you to call it a waste?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 12:10 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yep, beeing crazy about Diablo 2 and then calling Dungeon Siege waste of time also puzzels me! The team play in DS may call for more strategic approaches in battles, but the endless hack 'n slash style and item collection, is very alike!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 9:13 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, that is good point. These games are very similar. However I liked story and character developement in Diablo 2 more.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 9:26 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

And the in-between movies were just amazing in Diablo 2, but the graphics were much better in DS, but this still don't makes my experience with these two games so different!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 11:19 am
Elder Dragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

From what I hear Pool of Radiance is also combat-oriented. I haven't played it myself, but I'd like to hear if it's any good.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 2:08 pm
Orgull
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the suggestions! For those who asked about why I disliked Dungeon Siege when I am such a rabid Diablo fan, I will explain. Although the visuals are magnificent and the inspired soundtrack by Jeremy Soule is breathtaking, 'candy' doesn't really matter to me. eg. I just beat Daggerfall again, despite it being old and having cruddy 320x200 graphics, and it was more fun than DS will ever be.

The problem with DS is the linear gameplay. Specifically, if you turn a given corner in a given dungeon, the monsters waiting for you will always be the same, that corner will always be the same. It doesn't even give you the cheap semblance of exploration, since most of the game you literally travel down a single path killing monsters. At least in Diablo2 there is some randomness. Here's my three critical dungeon crawl wants:

1) Randomness, either in the map or the monsters
(Diablo yes, Daggerfall yes, Morrowind no, DS no, ToD no, Nox no)

2) Respawning!
(Diablo yes, Daggerfall yes, Morrowind yes, DS no, ToD no, Nox no)

3) Ability to make or mix my own items
(Diablo yes, Daggerfall yes, Morrowind yes, DS no, ToD yes, Nox no)

So you see why Diablo, Daggerfall and Morrowind are my favorite games. On a side note, although ToD (Throne of Darkness) has serious flaws, I would like to mention that it has the best item crafting system in any game, ever. If someone were to make a game with the Graphics of DS, the items of ToD, the respawning of Diablo, the randomness and open-endedness of Daggerfall and the music of Morrowind, I'd probably drop dead from excitement.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 3:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C
And the in-between movies were just amazing in Diablo 2

Yes, there were fantastic, nearly perfect and still are one of best PC animations I have evere seen. Great idea and perfect technical work. I watched them again before two days and they catch me again.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 6:20 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Nox is a GREAT game! I remember when i bought it... played non-stop for like 2 days and finished it! Darn it was fun! Then i played Nox Quest online...
Post Wed May 29, 2002 7:11 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

the best item crafting game is Evil Islands - i like this game, but many rpg-fans here in the forums say " it's too difficult"; in my opinion it is challenging and the difficulty is equal to Wizardry 8.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 11:55 pm