Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
TES: Companion NPC; I really need Help, going crazy…
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread

TES: Companion NPC; I really need Help, going crazy…

I have been trying for a week to create an NPC companion.

I have finally gotten a character that works by downloading one that was created by Rukinea. His Characters ID is ulfgood_companion, or Ulfgood Roma. I changed him into Brynna Roma, and she works very well I have walked halfway across the island with her with few problems. She pitches in and helps out in battle; I can let her take car of the Cliff Racers on her own and just keep walking, plus she repairs her own weapons.

The only thing that I can’t change is the original ID.

I can change the character completely otherwise, the race, sex, equipment and levels. But because I can’t change the original ID I can not create more then one character since any change affects every character with that ID no matter what plugin it is in.

So the logical thing is to make my own characters from scratch each with its own ID.

So I started to create my own character “aa lyllywhite_companion” or Lylly White.

Except for the ID she is identical to my other character.

They both use the script… Local State…

Begin LocalState

;used on objects just to track locak var

short state

end LocalState

I wonder if that locak isn’t supposed to be local but what the heck it works.

I went to the dialog box and changed the filter for my character to use the topics etc that Ulfgood uses. I have checked and don’t see any difference between them.

Neither character has any entrees in the “AI” or “Animation” boxes.

The problem is that when I enter the game my character is standing there looking perfect, but when I speak to her, there is no companion dialog.

I’ve been beating this to death for days, please I need help.

Mike
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:43 am

Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is my post "Mike Hawthorne" I didn't know that I wasn't logged in and it won't let me edit it now.

I want to add that when I change the character Id, that is when the character quits working.

Looking and the dialog box it appears that when you change the ID you lose the entries in the dialog box that applied to the previous character.
I could see no other differences.

However I did go and change the ID on the dialog filter to match my character and it still didn’t work.

Mike
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:54 am
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

There's a good chance that the topics you want are set to ONLY work for the original npc. You'll have to copy and tweak every one of them manually, changing the name where you want.

I find it odd that you can't change the id without messing up the whole works, usually that works fine, the editor should go through and rename every occurence of the id.

BTW, that "locak" thing is a typo, but it's inside a comment, so it doesn't matter. Comments aren't processed by the program.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:15 am
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

check out NPC tutorial at http://www.morrowindchronicles.com/
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:37 pm

I've been reading the tutorial, now I'm going to go in and give it another try I'll let you know what happens.

Mike
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:38 pm