Usergroups
Gothic RPG Victory!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
quakedance
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well people, I think we all agree that Gothic sets a new standard for the RPG gaming world because of it's original theme, character depth and unprecidented AI.
Do you think Gothic 2 will live up to it's predecessor?
And you know what I think they should do is make a movie based on Gothic. It would be unreal. What do you guys think?

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:28 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

A movie about Gothic would be a really interesting project. It's a shame that it will never happen, for two reasons:

1. Gothic has not, and will never, receive enough notoriety for that.

2. Movies based on videogames have ALWAYS sucked and I think Hollywood is finally realizing that.

(And in any event, I would much rather have Gothic remain a superb game instead of having its reputation diminished by becoming an awful movie.)

As for Gothic 2, I believe it will be even better than Gothic 1, as long as they spend a bit more time on debugging and addressing a few of our other suggestions.

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:35 pm
quakedance
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

True, but maybe a movie about Gothic, if it's good will change that trend.
It might be a success with different elements than the game which could give more ideas for Gothic 2 and hopefully 3

Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:54 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

You right about the notoriety part.
Games been out for almost a year now (3 mos in US) and only now are people starting to review it. All the games from the big name companies not only get reviewed the same day the go gold, they get front page of gaming magizines and stuff. While Gothic is far and away the best 3d RPG I've played, period, it will probably not get the true recognition it deserves because:
1) There's no rocket launcher or turbo buttons
2) The plot is very dark and mature and probably too original (if thats possible) for the market today, which likes explosions, lots of guns, explosions, multiple-chain gun arsenals, explosions, Big Bosses, sniper-rifles, jet-packs, and explosions.

Or it could be because Xicat probably didnt think much of this game going international and thus didnt push the marketing/promotion of the game. Which is very very sad because Morrowind is just around the corner and, according to *their* hype, and media coverage and promotion of the game is probably going to be a huge success (I hope it is) and will probably get all the acclaim for making a game so free-form and non-linear. And when people from this forum say "yea, but what about Gothic?" most people probably gonna say "Gothic, who?"

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-01-31 10:11 ]
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:06 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

On 2002-01-31 09:54, quakedance wrote:
True, but maybe a movie about Gothic, if it's good will change that trend.
It might be a success with different elements than the game which could give more ideas for Gothic 2 and hopefully 3

I see your point, but you have to understand something about videogames-turned-movies.

There's a stigma surrounding videogames that are made into movies. Some people just won't take it seriously from the word go, and reviewers would write about it with a biased position. No one would see it except fans of the medieval fantasy genre or fans of Gothic like us.

Movie reviewers have seen too many "Mortal Kombats" and "Street Fighters" to take a videogame-based film seriously. They probably shouldn't be so biased, but I can't entirely blame them. Anyone who has ever sat through "Mortal Kombat Annihilation" would agree as well.

Add to this the fact that doing justice to a movie version of Gothic would require tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in budget funds, and the end result is clear:

No producer(s) will ever want to spend a fortune making a big-budget and highly stigmatized movie about a relatively obscure computer game. The profits simply would not outweigh the losses.

And no well-known actors will risk having their careers ruined by playing a nameless videogame character or one of his friends in a movie that would probably bomb.

I would LOVE a movie about Gothic, and I'd be sure to see it.

But will I, or anyone else, ever see it happen?

NO. :sad:

[ This Message was edited by: wesmjohn on 2002-01-31 13:16 ]
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:14 pm
mmSlayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, given the tons of deniro the Tomb Raider movie pulled in, I expect there will be a ton more movies based on video games (Soul Reaver rights were recently bought, I believe). Gothic probably still won't make it, unless it's a direct-to-cable or video type deal.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:27 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

On 2002-01-31 16:27, mmSlayer wrote:
Well, given the tons of deniro the Tomb Raider movie pulled in, I expect there will be a ton more movies based on video games (Soul Reaver rights were recently bought, I believe). Gothic probably still won't make it, unless it's a direct-to-cable or video type deal.

You mean tons of dinero, right? Robert De Niro had nothing to do with Tomb Raider.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:18 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Though it may have been a better film if he did.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:38 pm