Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The framerates are ridiculous and unacceptable....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

well, when people with the top of the line computers get WORSE slowdowns then people with low end computers, don't you all see WHY we get mad, its like, we pay all the money to have top of the line and yet people that don't get it better, wouldn't you be upset if you bought a geforce 4600 and 1gig ram for this game and it still ran the same as your older computer?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:20 pm
Lady Rae
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
well, when people with the top of the line computers get WORSE slowdowns then people with low end computers, don't you all see WHY we get mad, its like, we pay all the money to have top of the line and yet people that don't get it better, wouldn't you be upset if you bought a geforce 4600 and 1gig ram for this game and it still ran the same as your older computer?
Actually, all that proves is that the games logic is what is soooo slow, not the way it accesses information. I have several games that will only run on a low end machine - Daggerfall, for example, is really messed up on my PII-450, and I haven't even bothered to try it on the P4-2000.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:55 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by iplaygames2
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn...

Gig knows her frames/fields per second..

You go girl..

Thanks iplay!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:13 am
Solude

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB DDR
GF3 Ti200
Windows XP

FRAPS reports 33FPS in cities, 60FPS(WinXP 3D refresh cap) indoors.

Graphic options MAXED, AI MAXED, sound quality MAXED... smooth as glass. But like its been said, there is always someone who will "manufacture" faults and spread them over the boards. "The game is slow, the game crashes, typical Bethesda yada yada yada." It's total crap. I have no alliegance to a company, only to good games. Morrowind is awesome, my EQ account is cancelled, DS which was a chore to finish has been removed from my drive and even BG2 can't really shine when put beside MW. The story seems to be pretty epic so far, or what I think is the main plot. Now if only I could settle on a custom class. Redguard all the way though, specials really help with "boss" fights. Then again there are powerful blunts and spears early so maybe another race... hmm. Anyway enough wasting time fighting a fight that can't be won. Whiners whine, players play. Back to the game.

Solude
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:26 am

Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

how bout a screenshot of those 33fps in cities with complete full details?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:37 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

bump, still wanna see that mr. 33fps in cities pic there buddy.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:21 am
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

If you cut me some slack for not having shadows i'll show you 34fps@1280x960, full distance, with an NPC directly in my face.

http://home.attbi.com/~buckybear/
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:06 am

All of the BS

I am so sick of hearing all the stupid BS about this remarkable game. This game has stunned me since i first turned it on. I have been waiting for this game since i started playing Daggerfall in 1996. I am SO sick of hearing all this crying about this game, it is beautiful!!!! And it runs fine. What did you all except. I mean you all say that you are these super know it alls when it comes to gaming. Well did it occur to any of you people, who complain about everything that doesn't go your way, that a game of this size and style wouldn't play like a FPS. All you people are doing is showing the rest of us that you don't jack about what you are talking about. These forums are supposed to be about PLAYING Morrowind. You know, helps and tips and such like that. If you want to bitch, to it somewhere else.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:29 am

Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

your so sick of this BS? if its BS then why are so many people having problems with it? i'm getting pissed at some of you saying its because we don't know sh!t about computers, i built my own computer

P4 northwood 1.6a o'c to 2.3 with default voltage.
Asus p4s333
512 mushkin ddr
Sb audigy gamer
geforce 4 ti4600

i'm on this computer right now

Amd 1ghz
384sdram
sb live x gamer
geforce 3 ti200

minimal to no differnce in the way they both run at full everything, get maybe 3-5 extra fps on the northwood.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 5:23 am
beefcake122
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

It doesn't mean the low end computers are running this game better. It simply means the guys with the low end computers are lieing, because it makes them feel better. There performance sucks for too, no matter what they say.
Scott
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:00 am

You can't show FPS in a screenshot with the option menu up =p

At least I can't, normally in the worst spots i get 20fps (which i am very happy with since i run at 1600x1024), but if I hit the ESC key for the option menu everything freezes but the fps counter, which shoots up a good 10fps.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:45 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Not to be rude, but I can give you all a screeny which will show me running MW in 1600 with all detail on and 120 fps in city with 1 billion npcs. Really, screenshots prooves NOTHING.

But what are all these person doing actually? Just play the friggin game or dont play the friggin game. Whining here wont improve it at all.

And to that dude with his custom made pc: How the hell do you explain your crappy performance on your killer pc? Seems like SOMETHING is bottlenecking you. If it was all properly configured, it would be impossible not to run better.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 10:23 am
Afreyt

LMAO at this thread. Man, two people bitching means the game must really suck. Slower system than they have and I'm having the time of my life, losing sleep all week on this game.

Dude(s), I pity you. Spent all that money on an expensive rig and evidently I'm outperforming you on El Cheapo.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 10:53 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hehe. Dont forget that those PowerDudes probably run the game better than most of us, but they are oft the kind of persons who claim MW sucks because they dont reach 60fps. Have fun, thats all. It aint a fps race.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 11:04 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I didnt read all of the posts on this thread so forgive me if this is a repeat. I dont have time to read 8 pages of posts!

My system specs are as follows:

PIII 1Ghz
GeForce2 MX 32MB
512MB PC133 SDRam
Windows XP Pro

Game Settings:

Full Draw Distance
Full AI Distance
No Shadows
1024x768x32
Just over 1.2K 3DMark2001 Points
I cannot overclock my system (Its a laptop)

Now I am getting 100% silky smooth gameplay in the indoor areas, and slight slowdown in the outdoor cities. The worst places so far are Vivec and Balmora. Ald'ruh runs real nice, even in sand storms (Transparency is usualy a nightmare for my system, but Morrowind handles it without flinching).

I know that when I get my GeForce4 MX (I can't use TI with my system) I will get 100% smooth gameplay all of the time. (Without upping the settings)

I dont know if you guys have some stuff running in the background, or maybe you havent tweaked your peformance. But the kind of performance you are quoting is definately not normal for your system spec.

I spent a couple of weeks before I purchased morrowind just tweaking my system, and I got about another 300-400 3DMark2001 points. (Started at just under 1K).

Now I am sure you are getting WAY more than 1.2K on 3DMark so its definately VERY strange that you would get worse performance than me.

This is the things that I did before getting the game:

*Norton Speed Disk hard drive to 100% just before installation of Morrowind
*Set Virtual Memory to double RAM size
*Set ConservativeMemUsage=1
*Upgrade Motherboard Bios
*Upgrade all drivers (Use hacked ones if necessary, just as long as they are the newest and fastest)
*Turn off Vertical Sync in the Direct3D properties. If you have a crappy monitor this option can realy stunt your performance.
*Shut down all background applications except explorer and systray. (Under XP you would shut down all programs listed under your username apart from Explorer. Do NOT shut down any application listed under the username of SYSTEM.)
*Turn AGP texture support OFF (AGP textures are VERY slow. In theory this should make textures look like they are lower res, however I have never noticed a difference, and most cards today have more than enough ram to accomodate the textures (32MB or more).

There ARE other things you can do to improve performance, but they usualy reduce image quality. I did not use any of these and as I stated earlier I have VERY nice performance on my system (Almost perfect).

Additional tweaking for speed at the expense of looks:

*Turn mipmap level to best performance
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:05 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next