What have happened?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

What have happened?

I bought Morrowind for full price, and i enjoyed it very much! I was even addicted to it!

But i finished the main quest, tried out lots of characters and different guilds. But now i don't even like the game anymore. I mean, after you compleated it once, there isn't much else todo. And i could not stand all the bugs again. And it was alot of bugs for me, and it was pretty slow on my comp too, Morrowind could have been so much better! One thing i did not like was the conversations, all the NPC's was alike. Im dissapointed and i wonder what made me like this game so much...
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:08 pm
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, if ever you played Daggerfall, you should realize that your addicted to the Elder Scrolls. When Morrowind comes out, you are amazed by the 3D and by the capabilities in the game. The fun add-ons makes it be fairly enjoyable for a while. After you experienced all the new things in the game, it gets old. Its just like i you went to a water park everyday. It was always the same one. The fun rides might last a few days, but by the end, you want more. That is what I feel, and I only accomplished 4 mage quests, 2 fighters guild quests, and the puzzle box 1.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:55 pm
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

What you guys talking about? I already started playing it again, its always fun!
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:27 pm
banditodevida
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What?! You don't like the game already?!
I've been playing for almost a month now, still only doing guild and house quests. There is so much to do in this game, there must be hundreds of quests out there waiting to be found. I'm still just amazed by the games complexity. I haven't even started the 'main' quest! It's just cool, that you can run off the beaten path fo a while and find interesting things to plunder, of while you travel, you can meet interesting people. How anyone can play through the game, and not come out loving it is beyond me. I mean, yes, there are some annoyances like bugs, and slow fps, and such, but th game play and depth is second to none in my opinion. Oh, BTW, I've never played Daggerfall.

BDV
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:31 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Bored of Morrowind. No.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:46 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i agree with rawis' point in that rpgs do have a tendency to get boring after you play it once. it's true that if you play it again, you will end up with the same experience, ie. npcs saying the same things. the only difference would be going through it with different characters, so the tactics for combat would be different. i've played through gothic, for example, and joined the brotherhood camp, and after i finished with the game, i really had no incentive to play it again. i knew that the story would be the same. the only difference would be quests i would receive if i chose to join a different camp, but after i get admitted to that camp, everything would be the same. however, in mw's case, i could play through the game and experience it differently, in that the game is so huge, that i ended up finding new dungeons, quests, and npcs that i missed. i am currently in my third character. i started off playing a pure warrior, now i play as an archer. npcs in the game tend to treat you differently depending on your race, which is a nice touch, similar to the way people treated you in gothic, after you join their camp. it's true that the main quest stays the same, but the experience that you get is just so different, when you play as a different race, class, or alignment. i'm still not sick of this game yet, but i guess when i've found everything there is to find, and join all the guilds there are to join, then maybe i will be, but for now i love the game.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:49 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Btw, i really played this game for some time, and i said "this is the best game ever!". Anyway, now i think its boring, most of the time you spend on running around. I just can't replay this game again.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:28 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well I've probably hadnt had Morrowind as long as you but I still like it. When I become really powerful and there is nothing else to do, then i'll quit.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:47 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Bored? That depend on how you approach the game or how you play it again after finished. I have try out and finished most of quests: Houses Hlaalu and Redoran; Thieves, Mage, Fighter Guilds; Imperial Legion and Imperial Cult; Main quests (Blade faction); half way through Quarra clan (Vampire) quests; and most of the miscellaneous quests. If i remember correctly now only left Commona Tong, House Telvanni and other two Vampire clans i haven't join yet; maybe i would try them out for my third or fourth characters later on.

My second character (Redguard) now almost reaching level 63. So there isn't much fun left in character developments, fighting or doing quests. I didn't force myself to finish Quarra clan quest but rather doing whatever i prefer to do; sometime spent hours in library just reading books, other time the character go wandering or jump up onto roof to chill out while listening to music (i shoved bunch of best mp3 music into MW's music folder, either celtic, exotic, therapeautic or peaceful themes). I also remember my first character had done some crazy/stupid thing just to amuse myself; i bought a bunch of candle and lantern and then painstakingly arranged them all over my house, hell i even put them outside my house so when during the night i could see a very "illuminating house" after came back from certain quest! . Some other time i just load up downloaded mods (for safety i save it to new save file) and play new quest, new guilds on new landmass, etc (IMO some mods after several early version/release now start showing a expert level quality; e.g Moonspawn, Velendosval). On another time, if you bored of all this, you could always contributes to mods coummunity out there in easiest way - write comments/reviews/suggestions back to the mods maker.

Today i created a new character, called Rootspear the Clicking-jaw (Argonian). You would ask what the heck with the "clicking-jaw" thing. Well, i just imaging that my character have a very annoying habit while talk or even eating: he would randomly make a clicking sound by manipulating muscles around face and jaw (i borrow this character attributes from movie that i saw ). The Argonian also have run faster than any character i played before, but the more interesting thing is that he really good in spear and none other weapons skills. IMO imperfect character is more fun to play than perfect character; for example my high level Redguard is almost perfect but that also making the game so unchallenging and boring. Also, never play your second or next character as you played the first character; e.g if first character have habits of charging straight into battles, or always fighting; then the next character you should try out as something else such sneaking out on enemies, use diplomatic skill, prefer new weapons, strike from afar, etc. If your next character (even with new races) still use the previous play-style, then off course there will be deja vu feeling.

In short, if you know how to approach game from different angle, and play your in-game character differently there's always a chances that you would feel more fun. If all still fail and you really hate MW, oh well, go ahead - just kick the Cds into dustbin and forget about it! .

Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:45 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, can you recommend any good plugins?
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:56 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Beside the two mentioned above, also look out for Cult of the clouds, "My Favorites Compatible & Combined" (by dale french) which combined dozen plug-in made by himself, stanegau island (even Bethesda send email to praise the works of this author, but i think still not final version yet), Castlevenia (for high level character & also not final yet).

Just check out from time to time at morrowind summit, morrowindfiles and Bethesda official forum you will find which mods are high quality.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:27 pm
banditodevida
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You guys talk about how you've already gone through the whole game, know the storyline, and thus, the game is boring for you. But I see it differently, I've played thru many different RPG's multipule times and it'sdifferent every time when you pick a different player. Because you've played through the whole games, you know what to expect, and therefore, you know all the tricks. You can use that to your advantage and get a better experience playing the game. You can try diffent ways of doing quests, orfind new things. It's just perposterous to say that you can't play through the game again, because you know the storyline.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:45 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

as i said, i think that playing different characters will give you a different experience, even though the story line is basically the same, because you have to use different tactics; however, once you've played all the different characters there are and joined all the guilds, i can understand rawis' point that it does get boring. eventually, i think that when u play a game intially, little things don't bother you, ie. running/traveling to far away cities in mw because of all the new scenery, but when you've played through the game more than twice, it does get to be a chore, and it takes a way from the enjoyment.
when you play the game once, you know what to expect the second time around. and as stated, you can use it to your advantage and do new things and discover new things, but what happens when you play it a third time or fourth time, there are only so much that you can discover, until everything is found. thankfully, mw is a huge game, and i haven't found everything or discovered everything yet, but when i do, then i will feel excatly as rawis is feeling. just the nature of things i guess. thank goodness for plugins.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:34 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by banditodevida
...Because you've played through the whole games, you know what to expect, and therefore, you know all the tricks. You can use that to your advantage and get a better experience playing the game. You can try diffent ways of doing quests, orfind new things. It's just perposterous to say that you can't play through the game again, because you know the storyline.

I agreed with you on that. I think sometime we just forget what really CRPGs is all about. We tend to think "load up the games, whip some monster ass, finish all the quests, beat the monster's boss," and then that's it, we move on to other games.

MW is one of recently most classical CRPGs, or a truer RPGs - not some other pseudo-CRPGs such as Dungeon Siege or Diablo series. I remember on official forum some fans complaining how they felt aimless is in MW world, with no specific missions, no much action/combat available or such; but their probably unaware that is what we always called as truer CRPGs among many other CRPGs, especially the freedom to role-play. In DS or Diablo, someone always will gives you specific missions, where you should heading for, then start waving your weapons all around. That's not the case for MW, more often than not it's the player who go out to find the quests, solutons, or what direction should heading for themselves. And when we pay more attention to what player could does in MW, then there's much more replay value than DS or Diablo, even after finish the main quest as you said "You can try diffent ways of doing quests, or find new things." There's many other things you could in MW. For e.g make a mission yourself to discover the history of MW, background of Tamriel, or even the story about slaves and the Twim Lamps underground group.

But anyhow, i guess some player would care less about this kind of "trivial missions." So when they play through all the "important elements" (on their opinions) such as main quests, combats, character leveling, then the game is finish forever for them, just as their finishing DS or Diablo, which is off course, quite unfortunates.

And yes ryley, what you said also true. I think what happen here is just different degree of toleration among MW's players on many times they could replay MW without being feel bored!

Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:52 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

u definately hit the mark on this one goldfish. since morrowind is so openended, which is a plus on my book, your experience will depend on how you view crpgs to be and how you play the game.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next