Should mages train any weapons?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
elanlo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Should mages train any weapons?

I have just made the decision to be a Fire mage. I havn't played that before and I just thought if you old vets have some tips. Should I train any weapon skill as a mage?? I am currently lvl 10 and untrained in all weapons. I have 22 str, 20 dex, and 15 mana. Thanks!
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:23 pm
Dbesing
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Re: Should mages train any weapons?

quote:
Originally posted by elanlo
I have just made the decision to be a Fire mage. I havn't played that before and I just thought if you old vets have some tips. Should I train any weapon skill as a mage?? I am currently lvl 10 and untrained in all weapons. I have 22 str, 20 dex, and 15 mana. Thanks!

Yes i'd say One handed Swords, cause u dont always have time to get ur spells on hand specially the charge spells, so mastering one handed swords is good,
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:55 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by Dbesing
quote:

Yes i'd say One handed Swords, cause u dont always have time to get ur spells on hand specially the charge spells, so mastering one handed swords is good,

Mastering one handed sword is quite usefull for a mage.Particularly if your mana runs out during the battle or some enemy gets too close or you just want to teach some asshole NPC a leasson or two:) ..
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:24 am
x_Noble_Paladin_x
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

30 strength is good. You want 30 strength, just trust me. Keep in mind the skill points you will need for mana and circles. I hope you gain levels quickly.

I wil tri my bestest too spel
www.mallmonkeys.com is funny
so is www.squidi.net
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:30 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

When I play a mage, I go for 40 strength and use a two handed weapon (templar swords do nicely). It's enough to handle physical foes with the tried and true left-right-left-right swing (I went to chapter 4 with a pickaxe... trust me, that left-right-left-right is much better than the forward-forward-forward-forward level 2 trained combo) while you patiently wait for magic and hoarde your skill points. 30 skill points to get to 40 strength is three levels... so by level 4 you are firmly set to hoarde away.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:49 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Iīm with Xen here. Get a Custodianīs Blade and learn exactly as much strength as you need to wield it. Donīt invest in the skills.
Also donīt waste points on mana. You only need enough mana for 3 serious spells in a row.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:22 am
kw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

skill points

Elanlo, just finished my first game. Spent way too much time early on being antisocial, battling creatures and obsessing about better weapons. It wasn't untill I concentrated on moving up the ladder of "magic" that the game progressed more quickly. kw
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:51 pm
Dbesing
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

problem with templar sword and not learning skill is sure u have the strength to weild it but u dont know how to use it to ur fullest, one handed sword u have to learn before two, unlesss u cheat i guess, so u use 40 to 50 skill points to master one handed sword, and the rest goes into mana and circles, for mages, cause u wont always have enough mana and ud ont always have the time to fully charge a spell and some times u dont have time to use a spell, this is where sword play would come in useful
Post Thu May 01, 2003 3:13 am
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

it is a really good idea to get lvl2 ihanded swords and at least lvl1 in bow or crossbow. it<B> WILL</B> come in handy with your first mission as a fire mage to have at least some skill in these fields. also up your mana. 15 isnt a very lucky number!!

BTW: i am also known as FyRe at the JoWood Gothic 2 Forum

Broken in Exile
Post Thu May 01, 2003 4:30 am
Dbesing
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hiya Fyre, and i'm dbesing like at jowood forum lol
Post Thu May 01, 2003 4:48 am
Taxen0
Higher Emperor
Higher Emperor

lvl2 in 1 handed and train str so you can use scarīs sword

Try this great game now!
http://www.warriors2.com/default.asp?referedby=163834
http://www.regno.se/default.asp?bonusfrom=3111
Post Thu May 01, 2003 10:08 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Yes, I think it's worth 30 skill points to be 1-handed master, plus some strength.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu May 01, 2003 3:58 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

You don't NEED to use the custodian blade to its fullest. You just need to swing it side to side.

Most advanced foes block 75 to 90% of your attacks anyways, so as a mage save yourself the 80 skill points (master one handed and two handed) or even the 30 skill points (master one handed).

Trust me... you can go the distance with side to side. Mastering two handed doesn't make you swing side to side any faster. And swinging side to side is ALL you'll need to do the entire game.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu May 01, 2003 7:04 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:

It's a while before you will be a mage. I am a fire mage. I decided to use the bow too. In most cases the bow is a great weapon. You can hit from, afar, lowering your targets health, until he gets close enough to hit you. Then run like h**l until you lose him, save your game and go back again. I did get my strength up to 30 (using a ring) and then concentrated on raising dex and getting bow skills. I did this until I got the opportunity to actually become a mage. Then I built magic and mana. Along the way I got trapping skills. Do get them. I was broke without them. Later, I did put more points into strength and found some strength potions too.

There are really only a few creatures that you need a sword, axe, or the like for. One is a golem. You don't need any sword skill for them. The other is a skeleton. Hitting them with a bow is almost impossible until you are very dextrous and have the crossbow. But you can lure them one at a time if you are patient and use a sword even without the skill. Later, as a mage, you will get a kill undead spell to use on them. Still a PITA, but better. Now I almost met my match with fanatic templars in Chapter 6, but with a lot of patience and restoring I managed to kill them too. I can use a two handed weapon now and I'm doing ok with it without the skill. But as soon as I get out of here I'll get that skill.

With the bow, climb up on rocks and ledges to shoot from a spot that your target can't get you. Save before you start shooting. If you don't make a dent in the monster with a few arrows, restore and try a different monster or better position. But you can do most of everything around fairly early.

One other thing. If you shoot an NPC with the bow you can kill them dead. I never take the last shot with the bow. Get the health down, but then switch to the sword for knockout. You don't want to really kill your camp mates.
Post Fri May 02, 2003 4:17 am
|-ArCaNiTe-|
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

when i was first playing gothic i joined the new camp and i became a rouge.. but 'cos i really love magic i trained in magic too... so i became a warrior mage.. like 8 circle and uriziel... smoked the pie... i had more than 60 strenght and bitchin mana and all... but then i started all over again... joined the swamp camp, but didnt know how or to what purpuse were the magic of the sleeper for... like i explained previously in a topic.... well that's it... now i can't wait for the eng. version of gothic 2

en taro adun from Slovenija

|-ArCaNiTE-|
Post Tue May 13, 2003 8:29 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next