No "Backwards Compatibility" For The Xbox 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

No "Backwards Compatibility" For The Xbox 2

On the general newsfront, <a href="http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3645" target="_blank">Game Industry's</a> Rob Fahey unveils the rather appalling report that Microsoft is (apparently) not planning ANY backwards compatibility with their upcoming new Xbox 2... <br> <br><blockquote><em>GamesIndustry.biz has now learned that Microsoft does not plan to provide any backwards compatibility in the next-generation Xenon platform - and indeed, that senior executives at the company don't believe backwards compatibility to be an important feature for consoles. <br></em></blockquote> <br> <br>So Fable, when it is released, will become obsolete to the next generation Xbox??
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:47 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

So all the games you bought will become useless junk? What a waste. Start praying that your old Xbox will still working after several years so you can play old titles.

At least on PC you can still run some old classics with programs like DosBox and such.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:55 pm
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

I don't think this is as big of a deal as it seems like at first.

How many consoles have had backwards compatability with previous systems? The only one I can think of is the PS2 which can play PS1 games as well. But I can't imagine wanting to play a PS1 game when you had access to the PS2 games.

There might be 4 or 5 games that you'd want to replay (Morrowind, Kotor, Fable, Halo 2, etc). But you can just play them on the PC instead (you know Fable will get ported to the PC eventually). Sure they'll be outdated by the time Microsuck lets them get ported to PC, but they'll be just as outdated compared to the Xenon/X-box 2 games available.

On the surface no backward compatability seems bad, but most people won't be thinking about playing the old dated x-box titles when they have shiny new Xenon game's to choose from. And if you already own the games...you own an X-box...so you can just play them on that.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:35 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I have a hard time believing that they wont include backwards compatibility in the next X-box. I'd take this news with a grain of salt, IMO.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:54 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: No "Backwards Compatibility" For The Xbox 2

quote:
Originally posted by Kristophe
So Fable, when it is released, will become obsolete to the next generation Xbox??

I just can't understand such a pessimistic point of view. Even if Xbox 2 was going to include backward compatibility to Xbox 1, you could be equally pessimistic by persisting with, "So Fable, when it is released, will become obsolete to the next generation Xbox???"

Keep your Xbox handy if you want to play original Xbox games after Xbox 2901 is released. No biggie.

I agree with Majnun that this isn't a big deal.

Sure, it's certainly a convenience to have backward compatability... but that's all it really is, a convenience.

Anyone concerned about playing their original Xbox games can continue to do so not only after the release of Xbox 2, but also after the release of Xbox 3, 50, 500, and beyond.

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
So all the games you bought will become useless junk?

No. They will not become useless junk. They will remain the useless junk they currently are

... don't get me wrong... I enjoy my Xbox and the games I have for it...

quote:
What a waste. Start praying that your old Xbox will still working after several years so you can play old titles.

What are you some kind of basher? I've got an Atari 2600 dating back 1979 that works just fine. I also own most of the past videogame systems since way back then too including Intellivision, Colecovision, the many Nintendo consoles, TurboGrafx, the many Sega consoles, Neo Geo, Playsstation etc... if you take care of your system they most often last a long LONG time.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:03 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

*TheMadGamer - the added backward compatibility isn't a killer feature, but is it a bad feature? If Xbox 2 has bakward compatibilty than it's all the better. And new buyer for Xbox 2 can have even more titles to choose from. Halo & Halo2 alone are great classics that new buyers (late 2005) shouldn't miss.

Anyway, the news seems to be inccorrect or just a rumor!:
quote:
Xbox 2 Backward Compatibility Rumors Debunked?
By: César A. Berardini - "Cesar"
Jun. 22nd, 2004 10:21 am

After a swell of controversy from yesterday’s article at Gamesindustry.biz regarding no backward compatibility between the Xbox 2 and the current Xbox platform, we have received an official statement from Microsoft that appears to deflate many of the claims as pure speculation:

“Recent stories in the press about future Xbox products are nothing more than pulp fiction. Microsoft hasn’t made any announcements regarding the next generation, so it’s far too early to speculate about specifics, including backward compatibility. In fact, this media conjecture is irresponsible. The credibility of any publication willing to compromise fact in favor of a catchy headline must be questioned. Xbox fans are smart enough to distinguish truth from sensational reporting.”

While this statement doesn’t definitively state that the Xbox 2 will or will not support backward compatibility, it appears that the feature is still up in the air at this point.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6152/Xbox-2-Backward-Compatibility-Rumors-Debunked
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:28 am

It makes sense for consoles not being backward compatible. Yes, there is a disadvantage for consumers (less games) and it can also slow down the acceptance of a new console. But otherwise there are just advantages for producers: they can happily sell new titles for high prices. No nasty competition in cheap classic/value etc. editions, no abandonware etc. So people are forced to buy new games.
It makes sense from business point of view, but I do not like it. Just imagine we would not be able to play all RPG classics on PCs... Horrible thought ... Consoles are like that ...

I know why I like PCs better.

Mirek
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:05 am

Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Indeed, from business perspective, if Xbox 2 is backward compatible, then very few consumers will buy the old Xbox. It sales will quickly disminish. Microsoft surely aware about that. Yes, the price for old Xbox will drop when new one come into market; but how many people still buying old Xbox when all new games will be created base on Xbox 2?

Microsoft has very deep pockect and can afford R&D to implement some kind of emulation for old games - only if they want to.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:50 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
*TheMadGamer - the added backward compatibility isn't a killer feature, but is it a bad feature?

It isn't a bad feature. I enjoyed the backward compatibility of my PS2. But to be honest, a 'backward compatibility' feature isn't going to be a deal breaker for videogame enthusiests. It's a feature of convenience really.

quote:
If Xbox 2 has bakward compatibilty than it's all the better. And new buyer for Xbox 2 can have even more titles to choose from. Halo & Halo2 alone are great classics that new buyers (late 2005) shouldn't miss.

It's true that if Xbox2 were backward compatible that new buyers would have more titles to choose from. But you'd be surprised how few 'new buyers' would really care about what will then be called 'old Xbox 1 games' when looking at the new eye candy of a next generation console.

quote:
Indeed, from business perspective, if Xbox 2 is backward compatible, then very few consumers will buy the old Xbox.

Very few consumers purchase older videogame consoles once a successor is released anyway. There's a reason why Nintendo President Satoru Iwata is avoiding making any concrete statements that the next console currently on the drawing board at Nintendo will replace the GameCube... despite that the alleged console is years away from hitting retail. This is namely because just the announcement will trigger the decline of GameCube sales, backward compatibility or no backward compatibility, the trend will be the same. http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/media/relatedmedia.asp?pf_id=000003&element_id=A6100639
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:42 pm

Remus here (not bothered to log-in):

TheMadGamer, it's not surprising that some peoples didn't care either Xbox 2 will be b/c or not. One market research suggests that only 10% of PS2 owners used it, however it's strange that in the case the of Xbox, since the report of no b/c, many peoples concern about it (long debate over TeamXbox forums), and a poll showed more 3,000 prefer b/c vs about 800 votes either dislike or doesn't matter regarding the issue. The statistics and the research can be inaccurate.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:32 pm

TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Remus here (not bothered to log-in):
...however it's strange that in the case the of Xbox, since the report of no b/c, many peoples concern about it ...

It's just a normal part of the fevered-feature-list-frenzy of an upcoming console. People get in this mindset where the quantity of features is more important than the quality of whatever features ultimatley are incorporated.

With that said... I'd really like the Xbox2 to have a toe massaging feature. If it doesn't come with a toe massaging feature then MS can bite me!
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:38 pm

B/c might not matter to you or just another thing in "fevered-feature-list," but to others, it's a different story. And b/c feature is nothing like the ridiculous example of toe massaging feature.

Ultimately, lets wait & see how Microsoft handles this issue. They probably don't want to kill X1 early with the b/c in X2.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:26 am

TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
B/c might not matter to you or just another thing in "fevered-feature-list," but to others, it's a different story. And b/c feature is nothing like the ridiculous example of toe massaging feature.

Since it's clear you didn't bother to read this entire thread let me point out that I never said B/C 'doesn't matter to me' what I did say, quite a few times actually, was that B/C isn't really a 'deal breaker' feature... meaning that if Xbox2 doesn't come with B/C, people bent on buying an Xbox2 are still going to buy one, which probably includes me.

Sheesh. It's almost as if there is this group-hypnosis where everyone in a zombie-like fashion believes that their Xbox1 will blow up upon release of the Xbox2 making it impossible to play their Xbox1 games since the Xbox2 may not have B/C.

And by the way, a toe-massaging feature isn't ridiculous. Anyone who's worth their salt as a gamer understands just how important a toe-massaging feature is after a few hours of intense gaming!
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:48 pm