Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I am so confused!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

I played the demo a dozen times. Every night I did all the quests enough for Diego to speak to Thorus for me. Every night I killed and looted most of the diggers.

When I got the game I stayed in that same fast pace.
It's hard to break out of it.
I want to slow down and enjoy the game.
Only several nights have gone by and I'm getting my 2nd focus stone.

I am seriously thinking of scraping everything and starting from scratch again.

I would hate to get to the end of the game in 4 days.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 5:50 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You are in the middle of the game. Now do the math.
A playing time - including reloads - of 50 hours is normal. +/- 20 hours if you rush through it or explore every detail.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 9:21 am

It took me 33 from start to finish according to the game clock, and I went everywhere and did every quest as far as I can tell. But it was a GREAT 33. I'm replaying two characters simultaneously now, and really enjoying it.

Heh. It took me 17 hours to get to chapter two my first time and just under 6 to do so my second time through. And the character is the same level, and all the quests are done. Makes me wonder what the hell I did for the other 10 hours?!
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:26 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, playing time is very different if you play first time or second time or third time... (but it is normal)
first chapter was 3x so long first time than second time...

Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 8:22 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

I had 82 hours on my first run through.

But I play much different from other people here, and I don't steal or beat people up to get ahead.

I made sword after sword after sword each and every time I needed cash. I did a lot of hunting, and did a lot of spending.

For me, the experience was so terrific that I started playing a new character the instant I finished the game the first time.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 8:26 pm
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

OK, I feel better about it then.
It's just that I love the game so much, I can't pull myself away. I didn't want to finish it in 5 days.
I am starting as old camp since I know it best. I will start again when I finish.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:05 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Yea replay on this game is like 110%
you can go all OC,NC or Sect
Then you can go all Mage, Swordsman or Archer
Then you can go Hunter style: (Sneak, Skin, Furring, Claws, Teeth)
Thief Style( Sneak, PPocket, Pockpick)
I made a pure swordsman 1st time out, now he's working his mana/ circles.
Next time Im gonna make a thief, master his sneak, pick and lockpick and REALLY have some fun in the towns.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:54 pm
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well Shrapnel? It has been a long time. Did you ever complete it as a Thief/Pickpocket? Was it fun?
That is the one thing I haven't tried yet. I will try that now. I am currently starting another game and undecided which path to choose.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:13 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

hehe, y'know what? I had 50 points saved up, barebone stats and only bow mastered and I thought, its now or never...
Ended up being never
I took the 50 points and maxed out Bow, Dex, 1-H and ajust a little str (just enough to kill the queen).
So he may not be the thief pick-pocket, but he's one NASTY archer. But now I just read a post where only Uriziel-powered items will drop the last enemies, not even mastered bow nad Xbow of War will scratch them *sigh*
So now I have a nasty (although ultimately useless) true archer. But for those who have finished the game...try going all out archery
Its a true blast. Makes you look at your enemy AND your environment in a whole new light.
No more wading in and tanking 4-5 monsters with no effort. Now you'll have to check out your enemy, where you're going to be running to (and you WILL be running) and where to perch. Good thing is, anywhere you will find a wolf or higher, there will be some form of perch for you to hang while killing.
Granted, at the higher end you can clear a whole forest with a swordsman (from scavenger to Wolf) once you get joined with a camp and you get their armor. With archery, all you need are enough arrows and a perch...then the exp starts to FLOOD in! Level 4 Archer, havent gone to the NC or SC yet, is killing biters, snappers, lurkers, orc dogs...Once you know how to work your environemt (bridges, water crossings, perches) the world is YOURS as an archer. Downside...Some parts of the game are just not made for archers. Skeletons for example, arrows are useless against them. I shoot skeletons, Point Blank Range, and just watch the arrows pass right through them. (40 Str is a MUST as an archer). Also, you have to keep a watch on your arrow supply (or just run through all the vendors at the beginning of each chapter and buy them all out).
Lastly, (depending on power and your way of playing) you are 90% more likely to be a murderer with bow than sword. At least sword give you the option of the killing blow. Killing blow on archery depends on how low on life enemy is before you land the final shot. Just to avoid being a murderer, I ended up sticking everyone to 1-5% health then jumping down and knocking them out with sword.

Final Note. I think if I were to train all those thief skills, I'd be too gimped later on to finish the game, but then again its not about finishing the game anymore so much as doing stuff I havent done already.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:00 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

wow!!! LEARN PPL!!! hehehehe that post was great
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:15 pm
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I agree, my last game was a true ranger. I used a bow not crossbow. It was kinda nice once I got that desterity up near 100. Nice post Shrapnel
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:20 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i think with a Bow is even cooler to play the crossbow looks a little bit not so powerfull
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:29 pm