Hmm.. more on framerates
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
ElPupitre
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm.. more on framerates

I read through a 7-page post on framerate lagginess and people saying how bad it kills the game, how their 2ghz geforce4 machines couldnt handle it, ect. On the other side, people were saying that the poor framerates were from the AI and because of this there is no way to compare it to an FPS where you get 60+fps. Try turning the AI off using the console command. Push ~ then type help. Then look for the 'toggle AI' option. Put it in and toggle it off. Look at your framerate, walk around a little. No change. Same framerate. The engine is just too pretty or something. They need to fix it, it is comparable to Ultima IX in that respect.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:25 pm

I am the 1337 on here, sir, I am afraid you are the one with the lacking reading skills. HOUSEMOD CLAN FOREVERR!!!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:36 am

ElPupitre
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

lol.. shut up john
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:54 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: Hmm.. more on framerates

quote:
Originally posted by ElPupitre
I read through a 7-page post on framerate lagginess and people saying how bad it kills the game, how their 2ghz geforce4 machines couldnt handle it, ect. On the other side, people were saying that the poor framerates were from the AI and because of this there is no way to compare it to an FPS where you get 60+fps. Try turning the AI off using the console command. Push ~ then type help. Then look for the 'toggle AI' option. Put it in and toggle it off. Look at your framerate, walk around a little. No change. Same framerate. The engine is just too pretty or something. They need to fix it, it is comparable to Ultima IX in that respect.

Yes there have been rumors saying the AI and/or the sky causes low framerates..but you can turn those both off in the console and it will not affect you one bit...and you can't blame the water either..stare at it and your framerates will rocket..

It's only when you have many animated things or buildings in view that framerates drop...Look at the ground boom, fps jumps hard core, same for standing right up to a wall, or looking at the sky (straight up)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:21 am
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Load the new house mod.... go inside and check your fps!

I'll bet money in a clean house with no A.I, NPC, or effects your fps will sky rocket. Last night i had 200fps in that empty house. So the engine is fine, it's just the overhead- all the A.I./effects, and such that drags your system down.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:40 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Breakapart
Load the new house mod.... go inside and check your fps!

I'll bet money in a clean house with no A.I, NPC, or effects your fps will sky rocket. Last night i had 200fps in that empty house. So the engine is fine, it's just the overhead- all the A.I./effects, and such that drags your system down.

Theres the solution..load the editor and remove all moveable items in the game! Woo hoo! (this is a joke obviously)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:54 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Shifter
Theres the solution..load the editor and remove all moveable items in the game! Woo hoo! (this is a joke obviously)

There's an easier solution... name me what game ->"remove(s) all moveable items in the game" and has high fps?

Quake3, perhaps that's more your type of game if fps are the holy grail.
(sarcasm off)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:12 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Yes there have been rumors saying the AI and/or the sky causes low framerates

you say "look at the water, the fps sky rocket" well look straight up at the sky, yep same thing, so its not the sky.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:33 pm
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Maybe the game needs a little occlusion culling....
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:38 pm