Uncommon questions, please help....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Uncommon questions, please help....

1) how good is unarmored, hand-to-hand skill? if you are say, a stealth specialty character, and even have high speed, even then is it worth it?

2) i have a char that i just started and he uses a bow for one of his weapons....but the arrows DO NOT hit the crosshairs...they seem to fly up and right on shots, but its hard to tell since arrows dont stick in walls and stuff...my question is, is this a result of low marksman skill, or some kind of glitch? cause ive heard of even in FPS games that the crosshairs wont be where you aim at, but im starting to wonder...

thanks in advance
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:34 am
Torm

uhuah!

Hand-to-Hand is completly useless. Why? Because you acually dont do ANY damage at all untill you punch all of their endurance away, and they fall to the ground, even then you do insignifgant amounts of damage, and your damage will never increase because skills only effect how often you land your attack (or succeed at casting) which is really lame.unarmored is ok, but not as good as light armor, but in the end, light armor is even better then medium (because of glass armor) I know this firsthand because my first char was a 'Monk' I couldnt even kill a rat as the first quest for the fighters guild. I was very disapointed because I like monk-type characters in any RPG. High speed is good if you have a few skills that are governed by speed. On the marksmen thing, I cant really recall if ive ever had that problem, maybe I did but just didnt notice it...but either way marksmen is a good skill as bows can are very useful.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:42 am

Torm

OH. On that bow thing..that is because bows launch arrows with realistic physics, they will shoot upward, then slowly curve downward as they travel.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:44 am

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

HtH is not a good fighting skill to try and finish the game with. It is a strictly a strategic skill. In combination with a fatigue draining spell, it can be a solution to many a problem. My first character was an imperial and the game chose monk as my profession. The character was not very well developed as I didn't really know how to do that yet. But, it did have pretty good HtH and it had the "star of the west" ability that absorbs 200 points of fatigue. I tried to beat that grumpy old guy on the bridge, on my way to get the puzzle box, about 10 times. He just kept handing my butt back to me on a platter. Eventually, I just ran in, as fast as I could, hit him with fatigue drain ability and started punching as fast as I could. He went down. Again and again and again. Took a while, but eventually I got him.

The point being, HtH in combination with some good fatigue drain/absorb spells can be very effective against single strong opponents. It is also good for disabling your opponents without killing them. It is not a viable general fighting style though. Especially against multiple opponents.

My advice to you would be, pick what you think your character should have/do/be and stick with it at all costs. Forget about what other people think about skills. Forget about what's "best." Best is what you decide you should be/do/have.

About bows... I think bows have a very short range. I've never been able to hit anything beyond about 5-7m away (15-20'). One of my characters was/is an archer with 50 points in marksman, so I don't think it's lack of skill.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:09 pm

Bow works quite well. My 9th level character can down daedras pretty easily with silver arrows, at a distance. His skill is about 56 right now, I believe.

gypsy
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:17 pm

Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

How can you say HH is useless? I knocked Dagoth Ur down in 2 hits, no spells involved... you just have to get your skill level high enough. I've beaten the game with 2 chars now and both ended up ditching their weapons in the end and going H2H/Spells. It's a hell of alot lighter and it's faster than swingin a big chunk of metal around.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:56 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i haven't faced dagoth ur yet & maybe htoh is great against him...but for the rest of the game use a sword or weapon. don't even waste your time on htoh. bows are great! the only problem is supplying your bow with arrows. be sure to check the critters that you shoot. occationally you can recoup an arrow from their dead carcass.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:51 pm