FAQ
Members
Usergroups
If i liked Daggerfall....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Will i enjoy Gothic?

I have played a lot and i mean a lot of RPG games, but got dissapointed with the continues hacking and slashing side of things..., ok yes combat is needed in it, but when it comes to Diablo II, and Baldurs gate, it never ends.

I am a Elder scrolls fan, yes even tho Daggerfall is old as stone, i still play it, due to its freedom and immense world, every time you play it is always different.
Gothic has caught my eye , due to the good posts and reviews being up to scratch.
Now i am asking you guys? Will being a Elder Scrolls/Ultima 7 And below fan, be dissapointed in Gothic?

Thanks for the help in advance
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 12:32 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

If you didnt like the quests, character interaction and story in Baldurs Gate just becouse the fighting between them, you will not like Gothic.

In fact, you will never like any Computer RPG.

Sorry.

If you can stand the fighting for once, and accept that there are monsters to defeat to gain experience, but also a 'new story', lots of freedom and interactivity, and loads of interesting characters and concepts to interract with, then you will love gothic.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 1:46 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Best thing will be you get the demo. The demo is the beginning of the game, restricted to the area around the Old Camp.
Also read the first few chapters of JemyM´s FAQ to flatten the learning curve of the controls.
Gothic takes a lot of time to create the atmosphere of a medieval prison. It will only take an hour to decide wether you like it or not.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 2:52 am

I think you'll dig the immersiveness and open-ended aspects of Gothic. There is a lot of fighting, but it isn't really the focus of the game as in PoS er PoR Myth Drannor or Icewind Dale.

If you like roleplaying, intricate quests and can stand spending about 1/3-1/2 of your time fighting, Planescape is outstanding. I'm just now playing through it for the first time, and I intend to play it a second time as Lawful Evil rather than Chaotic Good just to see the different quests.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 5:20 am

robcat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, to me, Gothic is the best thing to happen to crpg's since daggerfall -- it's what i was hoping morrowind would turn out like, but being that it's taking forever to be released (not that i'm complaining, hopefully it will be the first elder scrols to be released bug-free!), gothic is a surprise to hold me over until morrowind. If you liked daggerfall, you won't mind the battles in gothic, because it's very 'hands on'. not like baldur's gate where you click the mouse and watch what happens. you are much more in control of things. the plot develops in a similar way to daggerfall as well, but it's MUCH easier to follow and move through the story. daggerfall was just way too massive to be cohesive.

planescape: Torment is definately a wonderful choice as well, for it's rich, intricate plot, and not too much emphasis on fighting.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 5:28 am

Daggerfall I my all time favorite game. I must tell you to get Gothic now. It plays very similar to Daggerfall. It is open and expansive. It will hold you over for Morrowind which will be released in March.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 6:34 pm

Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2001-12-22 18:32, Anonymous wrote:

If i liked Daggerfall....
Will i enjoy Gothic?

..dissapointed with the continues hacking and slashing side of things...,

Thanks for the help in advance

Daggerfall, to me, was hacking and slashing. There was random dungeons everywhere, and to get out you had to hack and slash, just about all the quests were killing something. If you liked Daggerfall, get Gothic, you won't regret it
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 8:23 pm

Thanks for the Info Guys

I think i wrote my first post a bit on the negative combat side.
I enjoy combat in a game, but when it comes to PoR, Icewindale, Diablo 2, it becomes very repatative that i get easily bored and slahing the same stuff over and over again, where the challenge dies.

In Daggerfall you felt really in a world, and have to earn your reputation, ie starting a game out and your noone. Which you must then change to if your evil or good.
The combat i enjoyed in daggerfall, and you had quests that moved away from it too a different matter ,ie just a simple mailing task or help a couple back together lol weird.. But it worked and kept the game fresh.

Thanks for the info on Gothic, i would try the demo, but for some reason my connection stops randomly on the download
So hopefully will be able to pick it up tomorow

Thanks again

Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 11:56 pm

Let us know if you like it anon!
Post Mon Dec 24, 2001 3:27 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Icewind Dale is for multiplayer, Baldurs Gate for singleplayer.

Just a small note.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 3:29 pm
Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Both IWD and BG are on my Shelf of Shame.

As for Gothic, it seems the game gets incredibly linear as it goes on. It starts off great, very open ended, then you join up with a faction and you slam in to linear city.
Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 4:41 am

Heyas folks

Well i got Gothic and it is awesome!
Altho i die pretty quick
lvl 1

Game is gonna keep me very busy hopefully till Morrowinds release

Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:24 am

Some people here have talked about Gothic being unlinear. HELLO! UNLINEAR means that the story and everything does not have to be solved in the same order every time a game is played. Sidequests DO NOT make a game unlinear. Gothic is FAR from unlinear. Some have said that what you say to NPC:s actually affects the way they think of you. This also isn't really true. Stuff like that seems to be part of the scripted conversations where you choose from several options what to say. Never have I had the option this far to really offend or anything any of the NPC's by talking. This differs in no way from other games. 500 NPC's have been promised to be in the game. Sure. Just be ready for an army of clones who even tell you the same things in the exact same ways every time. Don't expect them to remember what they have already told you. Many misleading things like that have been promised to be in Gothic. Some morons here have told these things even after playing the game. This is a warning to everyone considering to buy Gothic. I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT IS A BAD GAME. I Love Gothic myself, Piranha Bytes has been able to create great atmosphere in the game (Although the voice-acting is nowhere even near as fitting as in Outcast). But after you have played the game for even a little longer time, so that you're familiar with it, go check the list of features on the homepage and see how big part of it is just twisting of words or straightforward lying. I'm just saying it's missing a lot of the features that there are said to be. If you've played Outcast and Ultima IX you know what kind of game to expect. It's no more, and in my opinion, Outcast was even better (Where as Ultima IX was a very bad game).
Gothic IS NOT an RPG game, in my opinion it's not right to call it even an action RPG. That's Diablo. You just don't have the proper control over your character. If Baldur's Gate and similar games (Diablo is not) are count as computer RPG's, there might just be a drop of that same blood in Gothic. Very small drop.
Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:07 am

I do agree that other games such as Fallout and Planescape are more nonlinear than Gothic. In those games you only had to complete a few specific objectives in order. I think it's more correct to say Gothic is nonlinear w/respect to time and level (you can dally as long as you like, hunting whatever you feel like and gaining levels and the skills you have available) but that doesn't sound as good on a feature list as just 'nonlinear gameplay'.
Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 5:11 am

Quote -

Gothic IS NOT an RPG game, in my opinion it's not right to call it even an action RPG. That's Diablo

---

Strangely enough i dont see how you can even call Diablo1/2 an RPG Game
Gothic to me is a game that lives to every aspect an RPG Should be.

Sure... RPG`s branch off to different areas, more hack and slash to a more questing, exploring RPG

Its a Personal oppinion on what you think, but in MY oppinion, The first RPG`s like Ultima 1 : Alkabeth, were true RPG`s, and Gothic is the only modern one that has come close
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:01 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next