Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
An idea about levelling -can it be done?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

An idea about levelling -can it be done?

Playing Daggerfall for 4 yrs. i can say this is a clone, but with major flaws that some can be fixed with the editor. (and i did-god how wrong can someone be about an elf) I can only hope for a patch for this "unbugged" game that is as bugridden as Daggerfall was when they released the last patch for it (was it the 117 or 118 - can't remember, but killer bugs it had, and oh discontinued support we all Daggerfall fans love that. Thanks Bethseda!)
The problem i'm having is levelling in general. CAN IT BE REMOVED?

Just take a moment to think about a world where you get whats coming to you:

Getting better at primary skills gets you points, getting better at minor skills gets you points? Right? Getting better at misc. skills gets you multipliers.
This is not how i see a CRPG.

Howabout if i could get points from the actions i do - and get rewarded accordingly?

Say i use any given skill to a point- take L-blade for example (STR) i use it for 10 points - and if it's a major/minor i get a lvl --- WHY? More accordingly i should get a bonus to STR. Right?

The formulae should be around x1.0 for major x0.75 for minor & x0.25 for misc.
Then you would be awarded for the deeds done - not the deeds thought to be done & the whole LVL system would be obsolete.

Or am i missing something? (HP, but hey - can't think of everyting)

EDIT: one typo removed - it annoyed me.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:26 am
JohnnyRock30
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bugridden as Daggerfall???

You wanna list some of these bugs for us, chief?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:17 am
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

If you read AND understand at the same time, you'll see that i wrote this to be "as bugridden as Daggerfall was when they released the last patch for it "
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:23 am
JohnnyRock30
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok. So why the sarcasm? Just make a point, geez....

I honestly think the leveling system is near perfect. They shouldn't change a thing.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:29 am
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I agree that the levelling process is excellent. Not *quite* as good as Wizardry 8, but it's a different system, they shouldn't change a thing.

Re: Bugs. There is obviously no such thing as a bug-free initial release RPG, never happened, never will. But this is one of the most stable initial releases I've seen in a long while.

Bethesda hit it out of the park with this one.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 6:15 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Merkin
I agree that the levelling process is excellent. Not *quite* as good as Wizardry 8, but it's a different system, they shouldn't change a thing.

Re: Bugs. There is obviously no such thing as a bug-free initial release RPG, never happened, never will. But this is one of the most stable initial releases I've seen in a long while.

Bethesda hit it out of the park with this one.

Agreed
Post Thu May 09, 2002 6:17 am
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

JohnnyRock30: I had no intention to be sarcastic, i just pointed out what i wrote - as you clearly missed it.

Yes i think this is stable for an initial release taken the complexity of the game, but those drops to desktop & general stuttereing + mouse lag in menus/inventory are more than annoying. And while the levelling in this game might be near perfect, i'd like it more if there were no lvls - i don't think i get any lvls in real life either for getting better at something?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:01 pm
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

As bug ridden as daggerfall?

I take it u have some wierd system as everybody else is finding it fairly bug free:)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 1:53 pm
Tandar

quote:
Originally posted by LORD_LSD
Yes i think this is stable for an initial release taken the complexity of the game, but those drops to desktop & general stuttereing + mouse lag in menus/inventory are more than annoying.

hmmm.... haven't experienced any of those problems. Hope you can fix it.

Also, I really like the leveling system of MW. Don't see that any changes need to be made.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:04 pm

Morandil

As to the "bugs" you mention:
The stuttering appears to be a side effect of part of the copy protection scheme, have you tried one of the "cracks" to see if it solves the problem? I experience stuttering, too, but I haven't been annoyed with it enough to try one of the modified .exe's out available.

The drops to desktop appear to be related to the sound card (namely SBLive! in most cases). I had the problems (really annoying). I updated my drivers and switched from full acceleration to normal acceleration. So far, in about 8 hours of play since then, no drops. This was mentioned in some of the tech support info shipped with the game.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:52 pm

LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Morandil
I have the nocd crack, did remove some of the eccessive loading, but most remains.
My soundcard is SB 128 and with latest drivers, and even with sound of (from the .ini) no help - still crashes to desktop.
BTW. my Detonators are 29.20
I even overclocked both my GF2 & my Athlon 1.2 - slight improvement in frames, but the basic problems remain.

And old Finnish saying might suit this: (loosely translated) If you pee while running, you get what you get.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 1:03 am
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think my problem is the same as yours, except I have a Soundblaster PCI128. Updated to newest drivers yesterday. Still crashes when I get out of the ship. Even with sound disabled.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Sun May 12, 2002 7:46 am