Usergroups
So Whats Next?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

What do you do after you play the best single player game EVER?
I've been playing Asherons Call for 2 years now. Gothic was the only game around that has been able to pull me away from it. I liked the super detailed graphics, the dark storyline and the the overall feel of Gothic.
Now I've got the itch for another single player.
Morrowind looks good
what does anyone/everyone recommend next?
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:31 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Yup, I hope Morrowind lives up to the expectations because it is the game I am hanging my hopes upon. I'm kind of glad it is late getting released, otherwise I would not have experienced Gothic. And this way, hopefully Morrowind will be released complete and bug-free...fingers crossed.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:39 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well i am working on the gothic new levels and maybe someone else will do them too but the real bad thing is that i cant get those levels to work it needs a german version of Gothic
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:56 pm
lildragon
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well I was looking into getting Ultima 9 Ascension once finished Gothic, but I can't find the bugger anywhere it's been discontinued
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:59 pm

Try Wizardry 8 next if you've not completed it yet..maybe even try Wizards and Warriors..and yeah, Ultima9 is a good idea if you can get a hold of it..good luck!
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:34 pm

lildragon
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I bought Wizards and Warriors for $5 heheh can't wait to play it next
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:39 pm
Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Wizardry 8 has GREAT gameplay.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:41 pm

Even though I liked Wizards & Warriors, I had alot of problems about half way through. It started crashing allot. It was fun but be warned.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:44 pm

I'm playing Wiz 8 and am on Chapter 5 in Gothic. I'm about finished with them both and agree with the earlier post about the delay of Morrowind being a good thing. I would have never tried Gothic, but couldn't wait any longer for an RPG. I took a chance with Gothic and have loved every minute of playing. Great job fellas!!
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:47 pm

Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

As for Ultima IX...
It's a great game, but its filled with bugs and requires a LOT of tweaking (even on higher end systems) to get it to run somewhat smoothly.
Plus, playing U9 *after* you play Gothic is gonna leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Pirahnna-Bytes denies this everytime I write them, but if you play Ultima IX, you will swear you are playing the Gothic beta. I say this because the engine is almost the *exact* same, the map is almost the exact same, the way the character moves, jumps, sheathes/unsheathes his weapons (1h, 2h and Bow) *IS* the exact same. The voice of the main character *IS* the exact same.
Its like the guys at P-B took UltimaIX, changed a few locations on the map, changed a few skins, *Totally* debugged it and called it Gothic.
(not that I mind at all) Gothic's Storyline and gameplay features is what kept me involved. The beautiful graphics and the smoothness is the icing on the cake hehe
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:56 pm

Yeah Ultima 9 is pretty awful when it comes to running on ANY system..but i guess it's worth the hassle if you're after another Gothic style game(inferior father even!)..Wizards and warriors is a great game and reminds me of Dungeon Master(favourite of mine) and there's a patch out somewhere to fix some..not all..of the bugs and eccentricities!
Other RPGs you may like to try are of course BG1,BG2,Planescape,Dungeon Master(lol) etc.

Good RPGing to you all!
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:07 pm