Progressing in Chapter 1 before plot becomes Linear
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Ghost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Progressing in Chapter 1 before plot becomes Linear

Gothic is a fabulous game to wander around in and just be whatever you choose - at least in Chapter 1. My character is Lvl 10 and his main skill is with the bow (just reached master). Before committing him to any camp I want to get him up to a reasonably high skill level., but I'm finding that since I've cleared the area of all the easier savage beasts (wolves, scavengers, molerats and the like) I'm having difficulty progressing without him getting killed. Snappers, shadow beasts, bloodhounds and Orc Dogs are way too strong just yet.
I don't like the idea of beating up innocent diggers and other NPC's but do want to progress without jumping into Chapter 2 yet. He's visited all the camps and done all the quests except the ones to commit to one of the camps and trigger Chapter 2.
Any suggestions as to what he can do to hone his skills without constantly dying??

Ghost[img][/img][img][/img]
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:16 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Find a nice tall rock to stand on and shoot down at monsters with the best bow you can get.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:12 am
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

You probably won't want to fight those strong monsters like Shadow beasts in chapter 1 yet. But you can try to take on Snappers one by one.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:09 am
Ghost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the tips. I've already been doing what you suggest and have had some success, but many nasty surprises when I think that I've chosen a nice safe vantage point and suddenly have the tripe scared out of me when a monster leaps upon my character from behind!
Man, those snappers can Jump!!

Ah well, i'll just keep on doing what I've been trying and persevere. Gothic is great, but one has to be vewy vewy patient.

Ghost
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:52 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Are you holding back on progressing to Chapter 2, or from joining a camp? Just to let you know, Chapter 2 doesn't start right after you join a camp. You still have to do some quests after.

As far as camps are concerned... it's pretty fun to just join a camp and receive all the new quests too. Plus you get to increase your skill points much quicker too.

If you can;t decide on the camp, then save your current game and play all three camps!
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:16 am
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

when you decide on a camp, you should do the new camp. your already level 10, so you can probly become a mercenary as soon as you join.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:41 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

I prefer the old camp myself, more things to steale:-) especially in the guards bedrooms, all those chests...and the ore barons house has the best goodies of the lot!
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:28 pm
Ghost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yep, what I'm trying to do is get as much exp. as possible before triggering Chapter 2.
I did think that chapter 2 was triggered very soon after you had completed any quest which committed you to one of the camps. If that's not the case then I'll probably try joining the Old Camp first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Diego seems to be a pretty decent sort and it may be worthwhile to stick with him for starters......?

The idea of using this spot in the game as a springboard to be able to play all 3 camps is great. Thanks. I'll keep that savegame for future reference and play through from there later (that is if I have the patience and if Gothic 2 doesn't arrive to seduce me in the meantime ).

So... exactly what event do I look out for to be aware that Chapter 2 is imminent??

Thanks for your comments.

Ghost
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:05 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Old Camp: Investigate the Sect Camp. Going there will trigger Chapter 2.
New Camp: Same.
Sect Camp: Sent to talk to Lester.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:40 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here's a tip: if you like the Heavy Guards armor and want it, dont go joining the old camp thinking eventually you'll get it. In fact throughout the whole game, you'll never get the Heavy Guards armor without cheating, and the rest of the OC's armor sux, so dont even join that camp.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:09 am
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

if you want good armor right away, the new camp is the way to go. after you've joined go to lee and get promoted to a mercenary.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:44 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought you couldn't get promoted until you did lares' job about the sect? So I think you cant get promoted right away, it would cut out the GREAT INVOCATION
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:52 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

I think joining the Mercenaries is also quest based... If I'm not mistaken, the minecrawler-queen quest. So simply being level 10 doesn't automatically mean you're IN. (But I could be wrong).

Hey... don't get dissuaded from joining the Old Camp just because you'll never get the heavy guard's armor. You will be able to get heavy armor in the end even if you join the OC! Don't sweat it.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:45 pm
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Erb Duchenne
I think joining the Mercenaries is also quest based... If I'm not mistaken, the minecrawler-queen quest. So simply being level 10 doesn't automatically mean you're IN. (But I could be wrong).

no, you can join right away when your level 10. i joined the new camp, walked up to lee, blah blah and i'm a mercenary.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:11 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Oh, OK. I must have gotten it the other way round then.

After I finished the MCQueen quest, Jarvis told me ,'Good Job,' and to go see Lee to become a Mercenary. Only thing was Lee wouldn't admit me. Kept saying I need more experience, or more time. I think I was probably level 9.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:21 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next