MM9 - $#@%, I'm mad
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Magreeb
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

MM9 - $#@%, I'm mad

I've played for about, well, at least 15 hours, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to have 2 Crusaders or one Crusader and one Merc. Well, I didn't click on "is interested" for one of my people for the Crusader quest, cause I thought you could go back to it. Well, I did the Crusader quest and found out I couldn't get promoted anymore. So, I guess I was gonna be a Merc. Only to find out I had already done the Merc. quest and not known it. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This sucks, now, for the rest of the game I'm stuck to expert and normal in every category, and can't get big HP and MP upgrades from promotions. ARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH. Well, the only good thing from this is training is cheap. But still, this has to be the dumbest, worst, promo system of all the M&M (maybe even of all time). GRRRRR.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:59 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I do not agree. Promo system is very nice.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:32 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Hmmm... I'll have to watch out for that. I did the quest to become a crusader on my way into Draghiem (spelling?)! I talked to the peasant girl and she said the Yabbos took her daughter's dolly. Out I went and killed all the Yabbos. I found Keith Bloodaxe later and got the Yabbo mission again. I just went back to the peasants (there were more of them this time) and told them I'd return their things. I went back to the Yabbos camp, returned the peasants' belongings and that was that! I returned to Kieth Bloodaxe and became a crusader.

From now on I'll be more careful about when I do missions! Thanks for the heads up.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:29 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I agree that it is a poor, cumbersome promotion system. It is poorly (if at all) explained and is contrary to good role playing. There is no way to change professions and some of the profession related restrictions make absolutely NO sense at all.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:58 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Joey,

little quotation from Garrets review on RPGDot mainpage.

and the RPG system is still one of the, if not the most motivating out there!

Just to show that there are many with other opinion (not to say that your personal opinion is bad or something).
As I said I like it and I agree with Garett.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:39 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I too agree with Garret – this is a very, very good RPG system. I am extremely impressed with the game play and lack of bugs given the fact that this game is about 6 months of polish away from a final product.

I have to admit it would have been nice if there was a warning or something, but this is a well discussed ‘quirk’ on all the discussion boards.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:36 pm
Guest Dare

I have to agree that the system is the best there has ever been.
* HOWEVER *
I too fell into the trap of not knowing exactly how it worked at first and ended up not being able to make any crusaders, paladins, or rangers because I did not elect to have anyone "interested" when I was asked the first time.
I think that once you have completed the quest the NPC should have another option available to promote other characters who didn't choose the right option the first time around. It may not make a lot of role playing sense but it is a vital option to have.
Many people have experienced the promotion lockout bug like this. And many others avoid doing any of the extra promotion quests for the experience and $$ because they fear the problems that could be caused by it.
In all of the other games in the series you could always go back and get promoted later if you needed to. It only makes sense to have this option.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:08 pm

Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

You are correct about it being unlike the prior games.

I was thinking about CRPGs in general since my last set of posts, and I have decided that there is a definate trade off between being a game and "realism".

All MM games are just that *games*. If you goof up something early on, the system is supposed to (and usually does) allow you to go back and it correctly later. This allows you to be able to finish the "game".

I regret to say that real life is not like that (as if you did not know). And the trade off between how much "game" vs how much "realism" is a tough call. The bottom line should be : "did you have fun?". Using that criteria, I have to say that NWC blew it with the choise made in MM9.

I agree with you entirely. The rest of the game lets you go back and undo mistakes, so why not the promotion system. It is not a good design choise. I hope it was made only because the game was rushed out the door before development funds were cut off.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 12:26 pm
machaira
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I to was "interupted" in my game play with this. I got the Paladin Promotion Quest from the guy at the monastery. I completed it and came back only to discover a thank you and no promotion. I had not only thought I had selected interested for my crusader.

Tip:

Use the "Z" key often to find out the current status of your characters.
It will say if they are on a promotion quest.
It will also tell you the condition of your characters.
This key can be used at any time during the game. Just hold it down.

Even if your quest log does not show that you've completed a particular task, you may already have it accomplished. I recommend quick saving and visiting the quest giver to see if they will reward you if you think you have completed it. With my new party I plan on seeing if the guy will reward you for visiting the Training Grounds with out having to kill everything in it.
I'll post my results when I do.

Another bit of info. Black chest may respawn items, but the one under the Dook's Castle does not. So if you happen to aquire Everstrike early in the game, don't go back to look for it again. The chest will be empty but the creatures will still be there guarding it.
Post Sat May 25, 2002 3:05 pm