Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Playing both BG and Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Do you play both BG and Morrowind?
Sure. Good games are rare these days, so why miss the fun?
84%
 84%  [ 11 ]
Morrowind IS the best game, as if we've never told you before...
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Baldur's Gate series have everything what CRPG might need, I don't mess with other stuff
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author Thread
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Playing both BG and Morrowind

It seems like the world's divided between the fans of Morrowind (or TES series in general) and those who play other CRPGs. Almost as many people seem to play BG (or other Interplay-Bioware games). There is a constant debate on which game is the best, and I don't want to add to it a lot.

I just wonder who of you really enjoy BOTH games. Is it possible at all? Any comments are automatically appreciated

As for me, I love BG and I like MW, but I cannot say that I enjoy them equally. For me BG is number one. Maybe it's about 3rd person perspective, I don't know. May it's about more linear plot, to keep you thrilled all the time... Don't know...
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:24 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

they are Both great Games. Is Just That I Haven't played Bladur's Gate That Much.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:23 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I got a like and like relation to Morrowing and BG2, no real love!

Graphics is not a very big issue in my book, so I won't comment on the nicer graphics in Morrowind as an advantage, also because it's a lot newer!

BG2 Goods:

-Interesting an deeper characters, with relations to each other and your main character!
- Party strategy combat with pause options.
- Many gaming hours!
- In some degree interesting NPC's, and a lot of societies.
- Good side stories (character stories)

BG2 Bads:

- Boring and very user configuration limited AD&D rules for character development.
- Same combat strategy ( same few spells) can be used over and over again to win against all enemies quite easy!
- The main story is boring, chasing this crazy wizard from realm to realm was after 50 hours of gameplay boring IMHO.
- Your characters reach development limit half way through the game, if you just do a couple of the good sidequests!
- Bird view perspective don't give you so much immersiveness into the gameworld as 1st person view!
- In many of the forrest and dungeon areas the walls and floors are looking the same making navigation unnecessary complicated! (Poor 3D feeling).

Morrowind goods:

- Huge gameworld (freedom to explore).
- Many quests
- Immersive first person view, the feeling that you are walking around inside the world yourself.
- Many societies.
- Many ways to develop your Character!
- A lot of secret places

Morrwind bads:

- Too many bad/small/uninteresting dungeons.
- Main and side stories (quests) are a tat to thin in my opinion
- Mostly your character is way to strong for the monsters, or in a very few cases it's totally the opposit situation. There is way to few exciting battles where the outcome depended on minor errors!

Well it's just my 2 cent on the games, and as I wrote before, I liked both games and they both gave me a couple of good gaming hours, but I wasn't tempted to replay any of them, and none of them did hit my top 10 list of all time CRPG's
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:40 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Personally i don't see CRPGs world is divided between Morrowind's fans (TES series) with other CRPG fans.There is a lot of different CRPGs out there for sure, and heavily influenced by rule set, principles or visions of game designer when creating the game, etc. Maybe some people less tolerance of different CRPGs, and only like particular type of CRPGs.

Morrowind is significantly different from Baldur's Gate, but i like both of them. They are also unlike Planescape: Torment, or Fallout series which use very different rule set, yet i also like both of them. NWN? - yes; Diablo series and Wizardry 8? - yes, although i didn't like them as much as others. The only CRPG that i bought and regretted is Dungeon Siege (It's like "downsized" Diablo 2, lots of combat but without many weapons, armors, upgrades, interesting skills tree).
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:19 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Personally i don't see CRPGs world is divided between Morrowind's fans (TES series) with other CRPG fans.There is a lot of different CRPGs out there

True, true I just wanted to compare those two. I see a general trend - at least here, where I leave - people either like one or another, not both at a time. BTW, people may play all sorts of CRPGs, but those two seem to be almost self-excluding for SOME people for some reason Not BG and Diablo, not MW and Wiz8... These are Infinity/Aurora based games and TES series. I wondered what's so opposite in two of them?

@ Michael C - Thanx for a comprehensive list of pros et contras. I have almost no objections I was thinking to post smth like that of my own.
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:07 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, I didn't play BG because...

...it's iso3D view, PLUS
...it's Fantasy, PLUS
...it's playing in the most generic, uninspired AD&D setting of them all, namely Forgotten Realms, PLUS
...I didn't like what other people told me about it.

Meaning that I don't mind iso views in games if the game is either pure RTS or has a non-Fantasy setting or both. I might even have considered taking a peek at BG had it played in another AD&D setting like, for example, Dark Sun or Planescape. Hey, even WoG would have done it (as it was the first AD&D world set I ever got my hands on).

This doesn't mean I don't like the game Baldur's Gate (or BG II etc etc). It means I haven't played it and I know for sure that I wouldn't like it. It's just a type of game which doesn't interest me at all. I even tried to play NWn for a while but I got bored to death, so I doubt it'd be a good idea if I bought BG.

I played MW because...

...it's 1st person view which is my favorite, PLUS
...I like the TES setting, PLUS
...I liked what other people told me about it.

Which doesn't mean that I love Morrowind. I like it. It's an okay game, good even, but I just had to put in a break to play Serious Sam SE... and after that one I re-started Jedi Knight II. I want instant and thrilling entertainment in a game, and MW is another of those games which just don't manage to keep my interest fueled over an extended period of time.

So I guess it's always the same - each to his or her own .
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:03 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
So I guess it's always the same - each to his or her own

Very much so It's nice to see a well-supported post anyway. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Well, I didn't play BG because... it's Fantasy

I played MW because... I like the TES setting:).

I hate to seem annoying, but... well... wouldn't you say that TES IS a fantasy setting, too?
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:26 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I'm sorry, but I didn't like Morrowind. First person views in a fantasy setting when using a sword, isn't my thing. And since I'm young and new to CRPG's, I haven't tried Baldurs Gate yet, but I'm thinking of buying it.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:33 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

TES sure is fantasy, even if MW is set in a somewhat 'weird' (in the sense of non-standard) fantasy world. I wrote the PLUSes in my above post to emphasize the fact that those items add up. I guess I didn't pick my words carefully enough, sorry about that .

What I meant is that I prefer SF over fantasy, 1st person view over iso3D and so on. Which doesn't mean that I don't like fantasy games or iso3D games per se. There are and were many fantasy games I enjoyed (mostly 1st person though), and there were many iso3D games I enjoyed (mostly with a SF or modern day background). But chances for me to like a game which is a) quite generic fantasy PLUS b) iso3D PLUS c) quite longish are rather small.

To sum it up, as Val once put it so nicely - most fantasy settings contain too many elves, dwarves and wizards with pointy hats for Jazzie's taste .
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:41 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I guess I didn't pick my words carefully enough, sorry about that

I didn't mean to say that you're not choosing the right words! Hey, you're a person on this forum I sure like to listen to

Me, in turn, I have nothing against SF games, there are just not very many of them out there, huh? I'm looking forward to the Knights of the Old Republic, but I keep hearing that the game will be very pro-console...

But, hell, I like fantasy more. You know, pointy hats may annoy anyone , but it is so natural for my hand to hold a sword or a bow, much more natural than a lightsaber... Well, even if in fact I only torture my poor old mouse

I guess it's just like you put it - each to his or her own.

But... eeerm... this thread was not supposed to be about fantasy v. SF, was it? Let me shut up for now
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:06 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

They both seem like very difrent games. Like comparing Battlezone2 and AOM. Both technically RTS's but way diffrent.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:33 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Eeeeeh... That's my point

Sorry, I'm lazy enough not to type it again - see my answer to Remus
Post Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:00 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
I just wanted to compare those two. I see a general trend - at least here, where I leave - people either like one or another, not both at a time. ....those two seem to be almost self-excluding for SOME people for some reason

If some gamers like BG better instead of Morrowind, or vice versa, i think it's influenced by individual gaming background; whether he/she start or always playing games by Bioware/Black isle, and thus later always prefer games produced by these developers; or that particular individual personally like D&D fantasy/game world, so naturally also like the rule set used in BG series and NWN, etc. There must be other factors involved, maybe other posters could add them in this thread...

As for myself, i'm not particularly fond of D&D fantasy, but i certainly like the game mechanics/interfaces, story-driven quests in all games by Bioware/Black isle. Maybe there's something else, i don't know. In Morrowind there's rarely any story driven quests (particulary side quests), but i like Morrowind because it got something else that i also like - free-form exploration, open ended and the many user-made contents. BG has limited open ended feature in game, but i can accept that because it got many other plus points and i really enjoy them; Morrowind has many Fedex quests and no tactical party/group combats available, yet it got other factors that i really appreciated. Both are not perfect games but surely i like them both.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:33 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

They are very different games- but it is very easy to like a great variety of games with the talent and imagination the developers put into their product.

System Shock 2 needs regular breaks due to the suspense.... I prefer fantasy... less stress on the old heart!

The MW free-range exploration drove me insane.... I kept getting lost and didn't know where to go next... but the graphics and scenery were brilliant. I particularly loved the silt strider...

BG may have traditional elves, rangers etc and some people may find the concept of hacking and slashing goblins and orcs a little mundane- but there are slightly darker games like Planescape Torment that may be more enjoyable.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:37 am
irritantnumber6
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hey Jaz --

I heartily recommend you consider the BG games. They are fantastic examples of good game design.

Boy, I wanted to love Morrowind, I really did. But after about 40 hours of it I found I just didn't feel like spending time in Vvardenfell anymore. It's weird, because I admire so much in the game -- the graphic design is amazing, and the character development freedom is admirable.

I got terribly bogged down with the terrible journal, the ridiculous inventory and the boring-to-practice skills like Persuade.

I have wondered if I might enjoy the game more if I a) got the expansion with the better journal, and b) designed a character completely around the skills I enjoyed using now that I know more.

But maybe not. The indefinable atmosphere of a game -- whatever makes you want to fire up THAT game and not another when you sit down to play -- just wasn't there for me in Morrowind.

I actually think I know why, more than the other quibbles: the characters were all so lifeless that it felt like the game didn't care whether I solved any quests or not. The price of all that freedom was a lack of urgency that I found distinctly undramatic.

Gothic had a similar format (though of course is a much less complex game), and even a lot of freedom, but I always felt a sense of urgency to the main plot.

I'm rambling, sorry. Good idea for a post! Jaz, your avatar rocks.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:20 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next