Gothic 2 Interview at Computergames.ro
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Gothic 2 Interview at Computergames.ro

Computergames.ro conducted an <a href="http://www.computergames.ro/articole.php?optiune=show_interviews&interview=248" target="_blank">interview</a> with Mihai Anghelina</a>, ex-Piranha Bytes and working on Gothic 2. Here's something from the interview:
<br><blockquote><em>Computer Games Romania: Did you know that Gothic 2 will enjoy a greater success than its predecessor?
<br>
<br>Mihai Anghelina: As I've already said I knew it was a success even before the project was over and all the pieces gathered together. This was because every piece was carefully handled and we kept testing and modifying. As I saw the story grow I felt like everything came to life. The main part in creating the unique atmosphere characteristic for Gothic 2 belonged to the heart and the brains of the team, Michael Hoge together with the guys from story and the level design. Continuing the story from Gothic, improving the artistic side with superior quality textures and a better AI and delivering a better scaled universe and more polished than Gothic I knew the impressions of the players won't be other than positive.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:47 pm

hats off

Hats off to Piranha Bytes for creating the most believable, detailed and immersive experience one could hope to wish for. I really hope Gothic 2 is a success both critically and commericially as has been proved in Germany. The effort gone into making the world is staggering.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:50 pm

yeah, I am personally what I call an "Action RPGer" I like the mele fight scenes while I develop and customize my character in detail. There arent many games out there that will fully allow for this. Morrowind was close. but the action end was stunted by a lack of character animation. it left me with a "stiff" and "rigid" feel to it. Although it has been chided, Ultima 9 Ascention was really close too. But The Gothic series nails it on the head. I really hope they overcome the challenges and become something great. I personnaly think that what is coing to make the difference between success and failure for them is 1)choosing the right people (Distribution) to ally with and their community support. their community support and interaction right now is less than horrible. although I sense they are working really hard, they do not tell me or show me that. Outside of the product itself anyway...Good communication with the fans means everything. most of the time.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:11 pm

Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

GWJ put up some Gothic 2 impressions: http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=494&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:01 pm
Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

blah

Still waiting to even hear when the North American release is. *sigh*
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:12 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: blah

quote:
Originally posted by Halsy
Still waiting to even hear when the North American release is. *sigh*

Do you think we should put a big banner on the mainpage that says
"North Americans who want to play Gothic 2 NOW -- order through Gogamer.com".

Look, this isn't a personal knock against you, but in general I am tired of seeing North American's complain about not having a release date when for weeks it has been all over the Gothic 2 forums that you have 2 options now for obtaining the ENGLISH version:

1. Order from Gogamer.com -- a US company who imports the *English* release from the UK (recommended)

2. Order directly from the UK using either http://gameplay.co.uk or http://game.uk.com

And to finally put this to rest:

The version that you will be getting is the EXACT SAME ENGLISH VERSION that will be released later in North America. Why is it taking so long to come out in the US/Canada?? Hell if I know. But why worry about it if you can order the game and play it NOW.

Look, I live in the USA too and for the longest time I was patiently waiting to hear something about a USA relelase date. But when it was announced that Europe (most notably, the UK) was getting the English version first -- I quit worrying about when it would officially released over here, and concentrated on finding out how I could import a copy.

P.S.:
If you can't order online because you don't have a credit card, convince your parents or a friend to help out!
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:45 pm
keaolian

Amen!
Hehehe I just got mine today! Way to go RPGDot and if you didn't report it I would still be waiting and I have waited patiently since it was released in Germany-Very nice game so far and I am still fiddling with the game options Does anyone know what "Miles fast sound" is? I just went ahead and set it to my Creative card but I am getting a few sputters
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:28 am

Halsy
Village Leader
Village Leader

Um no

If you're stupid enough to waste 30 dollars on shipping charges because you're too impatient to wait for a game that's your problem. However, don't try and deride other people who are sensible enough not to want to throw money away for a game for lack of patience.
I've waited this long, I ca wait longer. All I want to know is when it's going to be released here. That's not too much to ask and you're an ass if you think it is.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:17 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

According to Gorath's release-date thread Atari have not announced a US date as such, although 2 emails from Atari have both specified October - that's as official as it gets at the moment.

As for the freight, I paid ~US$5 from Game in the UK and it reached me in Australia in 3 business days. I would expect the US to be at least as fast and I wouldn't imagine gogamer are charging too much.

An official announcement would be nice but the ball's in Atari's court.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:04 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Um no

quote:
Originally posted by Halsy
If you're stupid enough to waste 30 dollars on shipping charges because you're too impatient to wait for a game that's your problem. However, don't try and deride other people who are sensible enough not to want to throw money away for a game for lack of patience.
I've waited this long, I ca wait longer. All I want to know is when it's going to be released here. That's not too much to ask and you're an ass if you think it is.

OK, maybe I was being an ass about this. I admit I flew off the handle.
I apologize.

But seriously, you can get the game at Gogamer.com for 37.90 US dollars. Shipping is like $5. Game.uk.com that I mentioned in the earlier email charges $4.95 for Royal mail shipping. The orders arrive in about a week. I'm not sure where you are getting this $30 for shipping figure from.

So maybe in the end it turns out being a few dollars less when It FINALLY reaches the USA. For someone with disposable income like myself the few extra $$$ paid to play it "early" are not really significant. note the quotes around early. Really it was about time.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:42 pm