Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Advice: PLANSCAPE TORMENT after GOTHIC?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

You mentioned Revenant. I have played through it and enjoyed it. It does not compare with Gothic because it is so much older and smaller. It also is more of the style where you run through a bunch a monsters in order to take on the boss kind of play. The battle is fun and the spell system is mana based. The story is pretty basic. If you get it for under 10 bucks and you do not mind older cartoonish graphics then you will probably not be dissapointed. It has some similarities to Gothic.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 8:53 pm

Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Ok, Dues Ex...sucks. Cant believe it won game of the year. All you do is sneak around, sneak around and sneak around some more, picking enemies off slowly and quietly. The minute you entire the fire fight, you get fried like bacon. Anyway, if I buy a FPS, better believe I wanna shoot in it!!!
Dues Ex reminds me of a modern day thief...all about stealth. (Corny)

As for Ultima IX, it didnt do well here in the states at all cause it was a rushed job abd required like 5 patches to get it to a mediochre status (sad ending to a great series). Barnes&Noble, Electronics Boutique, couple of other spots still sell it, already patched up to the current version 1.08 for a few dollars now. SHipping wll probably cost more than the game now hehe
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:06 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

DeusX is really a great game in the tradition of System Shock.

Evil Islands is the advanced 3d Version of Rage of Mages 1 und 2 with some unique features like makin' your own weapons from materials found in the world. The difficulty level is somewhat high in the beginning of the game - you can't beat every opponent at first sight, you have to use your stealth and sneak skill very often. I recommend it for veteran rpg gamers.

Hx

Outcast - a great rpg with a Science Fiction plot. The voxel graphics are a bit dated and remember: the lowest quality graphics settings are the best settings - this is an ugly bug.

Hx
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:35 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Baldurs Gate - The First Game

Baldurs Gate 2 - Well crafted NPC's and party interaction, great in single player

Icewind Dale - Great for multiplayer

Planescape Torment - Really well-crafted character-creation where your personality will change according to your actions.

They have as much difference as Quake III and Unreal Tournament have to eachother.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:36 am
GuNz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hey um i think outcast is a starwars game....jediknight2........i have the dark forces(2d game very old) and i have darkforces2 Jediknight(3d but bad graphics)......ok jsut wanted to see if im right
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:02 am
Eddie
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have played and loved PT, It's the only RPG where your stats actually MEAN something, You can boost your Charisma for example and TALK your way out of most situations, Every action you perform has consequences and therefore makes you THINK about what you are doing, Lots of different types of gameplay for example a guy will ask you a series of riddles, you personally may know the answer to them all, BUT, if your Characters intelligence isn't high enough you are screwed. The humour is wicked and some of the quests are really gory...lets face it, any game with two necrophillia jokes in the first ten minutes gets my vote. The game is way better than either BG.

I would go along with Mersil and suggest Severence : Blade of Darkness, Very combat heavy but quite rewarding, You feel as if you've been in a fight!

Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:56 am
Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:

On 2002-01-09 10:56, Max Killen wrote:
quote:

On 2002-01-09 08:43, Dog Of War wrote:
I find games like BG1 & BG2 boring ..
to tell the true , I dont even understand D&D rules so I like more games like GOTHIC , ULTIMA 9 , Do you guide whole party like in BG 1&2 or is it just "one character andventure" like GOTHIC? What do you suggested?

If you get bored with Baldur's Gate; then you'll fall asleep with Torment. Come on folks, what's the difference between those games, it's the same company. Torment, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, there all the same, just a different background.
On the otherhand, if you liked Ultima 9; then Gothic is the perfect game. You'll lead yourself throughout the whole adventure (different NPGs will join you; but only briefly).
Trust me, Gothic is the right choice.

Actually the boredom in Baldur's gate come from the simple hack and slash method. You don't get that feeling in PT because you actually get more xp and solve things better by talking your way out of it and using your brain.
And you said that
quote:

Come on folks, what's the difference between those games, it's the same company.

Well actually it's not the same company.
The baldur's gate series are made by "Bioware".
The icewind dale series are made by "Black isle studios"
And planescape: Torment is also made by "Black Isle studios".
The only thing they have in common is interplay who is their publisher
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:11 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

To put it simply...

Planescape is the best isometric RPG to hit the PC...EVER.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:17 pm
Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Couldn't have put it better myself
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:00 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Jestah, yeah those games may have had different development teams working, but come-on. They all use the same game engine, and for the most part the same ruleset. Except for PsT the interface is almost exactly the same for all three. And PsT's interface suffered just for the sake of being different from the other three. Most of the spells are the same, you pretty much have to control a party of several players in any of the games by pausing and issuing orders. They play very similarly.

JemyM made the point very well, although a couple different development houses may have made those four games, they are about as different as Quake III is from Unreal Tournament. People will endlessly argue about which is best because they have differences, but the bottom line is, if you really didn't like one, you probably won't like the other very much either and could like it less.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:46 pm
Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:

Brak wrote:
Jestah, yeah those games may have had different development teams working, but come-on. They all use the same game engine, and for the most part the same ruleset. Except for PsT the interface is almost exactly the same for all three. And PsT's interface suffered just for the sake of being different from the other three. Most of the spells are the same, you pretty much have to control a party of several players in any of the games by pausing and issuing orders. They play very similarly.

Yes the BG series used the "BioWare Infinity Engine" and Icewind Dale and Torment used a modified version of the "BioWare Infinity Engine" that's true.
But what I was saying was that the BG series were simple hack and slash and so was Icewind dale. But planescape torment was as far away from the hack and slash gaming method as possible. There you really had to use your brain (if you can say that) and it had a great plot IMO. That was good roleplaying not just "there are some monsters kill them". But yes they were all 3rd person isometric view games.
Anyways everyone has their oppinion on a game and thank god for that

[ This Message was edited by: Jestah on 2002-01-10 16:32 ]
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:30 pm

If you didn't like the Infinity engine, you won't like Torment too much. If you didn't mind the Infinity engine, Torment's not a bad way to go. The story is much more compelling than BG series, and really pulls you along (as long as you do all of the reading ). Anachronox is another great game, lighter fare, and probably closer to Gothic, although it's combat is very console (ala Final Fantasy series).
Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:00 am

Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned 'Summoner.' If you liked Gothic, this is the one to buy. Just trust me on this one, it's an outstanding game, by Volition, that for some reason never received much fanfare. I only play CRPG games, and this is a 'must play' and as I stated, is very similar to Gothic.

Might and Magic VII is available for under 10 bucks in most stores and on line. It doesn't have great graphics by any stretch, but it was one of my all time favorite CRPG's mainly because of its excellent skill system, numerous quests and well crafted dungeons. Highly recommended.

Planescape Torment is one of my favorites, but I don't like isometric CRPG's. I prefer the first person view, but Planescape was particularly captivating, even considering that it uses the Infinity engine. This one is also available at a discount on line.

Finally, if you can find a copy of this rare game, Faery Tale Adventure 2 is well worth the effort. It has crappy graphics, broken quests, and a weird combat system. But once you figure out the interface, this game will draw you in like nothing else will. Like I said, this game is a nightmare to find, but for hardcore gamers, it's worth the effort. Frustrating at the outset, this game will draw you in like you wont believe once you tinker with the interface a while.

Just a few suggestions on my personal faves over the last few years.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:57 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

faery tale adventure 2

the guys of classic trash say it is abandonware -> you can't buy it anymore.

game download:
http://www.classic-trash.com/gameinfo.php?id=73
Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:55 pm

quote:

On 2002-01-09 15:06, Shrapnel wrote:
Ok, Dues Ex...sucks. Cant believe it won game of the year. All you do is sneak around, sneak around and sneak around some more, picking enemies off slowly and quietly. The minute you entire the fire fight, you get fried like bacon. Anyway, if I buy a FPS, better believe I wanna shoot in it!!!
Dues Ex reminds me of a modern day thief...all about stealth. (Corny)

DeusEx can be all about stealth if you want it to be, or it can be something else. DeusEx is in my opinion the best example of a game that combines "the best of all worlds". It is an outstanding combination of RPG,FPS,RTS and a "sneak´m up" game. DeusEx have an exellent story that is very "grown up", and works on different levels. On the surface it may seem plain, but dig a little further and you get a story that deals with a varity of issues such as moral, politics an philosophy. So the thing with DeusEx is tahat it can be what you prefer it to be.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:26 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next