FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Hand to Hand Viable?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Hand to Hand Viable?

Sounds like Hand to Hand has changed somewhat from Daggerfall with the fatigue drain. Is it more or less of a true melee option now?

Would the following martial artist character stand any chance?

Major: Hand To Hand, Unarmored, Acrobatics, Athletics, Marksman
Minor: Alteration, Restoration, Mercantile, Security, Sneak
Post Sat Apr 27, 2002 11:59 pm

Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

From what I understand hand to hand combat is a totally viable option check out this [url=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/357/357252p1.html]
Developer Q&A [/url] over at rpgvault that mentions playing a hand to hand combat char.
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:48 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

That's just awesome...knock someone out, take their weapons and stuff..... and then go sell it..

I wonder if you could get tossed in jail for that?? In gothic, as long as you didn't use a weapon, you could beat up all the folks, IIRC. The guards would only hassle you if you pulled a weapon..
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:56 am

Is H2H Viable?

Wow Incindium, thanks SO much for your answer to my question about H2H viability! It is SO excellent that the Lead Designer play-tests with a total H2H character and that 2 team members rely upon H2H as the melee option for their casters!

The revolutionary thing about Morrowind is that you CAN xp in more ways than just killing stuff. This is perhaps one of the few games ever where you can advance well playing a character who doesn't kill except in extreme situations.

It is a only a shame that Morrowind didn't include a weaponless character among their standard templates to emphasize the viability of such role-playing option.

I can't wait to try it out! The only thing I'll miss is getting to play with all those cool toys
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:54 am

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I think that's cool about hand to hand also. It's especially nice since there will be weapon wear.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:09 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I agree, Gig...

I just wonder if you beat up too many ppl with hand to hand, do your knuckles get bloody and sore???

Now THAT, my friends, would be some serious realism...
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:09 pm

There is the monk class which is a primarily H2H class.
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:28 pm

Morolinith
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anyone know how Hand-to-Hand will work against monsters that can only be hit by silver or magic weapons? If there are any of those that is?
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:35 am

HtH

The good thing about Hth from my understanding is it will not kill anyone unless you keep punchign em while they are down; this makes your reputation get hurt less and makes your wanted level less. so if you plan on being a mugger Hth is for you, beat people down and take their stuff.

Some forum had a dev say that a few situations you will be attacked upon drawing a weapon. Having hth gives you an advantage as you are always armed, nobody can frisk you and take your hands...
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:01 am

Interesting idea about the mugger option.

Also, when I saw the monk template, it made me question whether H2H could stand alone since they included blunt and light armor as minor skills.
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:49 am

Morolinith
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there any Info on how long they stay knocked out for? Also I wonder if you can just keep knocking out the same guy over and over to practice the Skill, although that would be increadably cheezy.
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:43 am
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Hth Styles

Are there going to be any styles of HtH, or did they not want to go that in depth

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:38 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I don't think there will be different styles of HtH (but that's just an idea of course).

By the way, Warmaster Horus, how did the Heresy go ?
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:14 am
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Not too good, too damn many space marines, not enough daemons, (plus there was the whole 'me being banished to the Eye of Terror for all eternity' thing)

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:54 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Ahh, too bad. Tell you what, I could hire out my Slaanesh troops (24 daemonettes and a Keeper of Secrets) or the Imperial Army (about 300 little guys, everything from Catachans to halfling snipers to REAL bonehead Ogryns to the Necromunda 8th to Stormtroopers to 14 Comissarsto 7 tanks - all 1st and 2nd edition stuff) to aid you...

...sorry, got carried away a little . Anyway... I still doubt that there's more than one kind of HtH in Morrowind. And Leverkusen vs. ManU was 1:1
Post Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next