Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Disappearing items. Bug or is someone stealing?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Disappearing items. Bug or is someone stealing?

Hail! I'm a new poster here but believe me I've been reading rpgdot for a *long* time.

I've been playing Morrowind like crazy during the past few days. It's the best roleplaying game released by far (IMHO!). Of course in the history there are some legendary games but that does not reduce the value of MW at all.

I am now level 12 custom mage and yesterday I noticed something that alerted me a lot. I started to travel a lot using boats, mage travel etc. After visiting several towns, including Vivec and Sumir I started to cast spells and noticed that I did not have any gloves on at all, I saw a bare skin. Ok, then I checked my inventory and noticed that atleast HALF of my equipped items were missing.

I was standing in Sumir, and considering what kind of place Sumir is I was thinking that maybe I met a thief that got my equipment. Some thief that can steal a breastplate and gloves etc while I am wearing them

So, I've heard of other rumors about disappearing items, mainly items stored in boxes etc. So might there be a general bug that the items can disappear even from your inventory?!

This is a GAME stopper bug IMHO! Some quest item could disappear.

(Ok, there is the editor, but I am against cheating)
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:14 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

My guess, and I emphasize guess, is that those items broke and then you sold them by mistake thinking they were junk...

However I don't know, I just tabbed to MW and noticed my gloves are gone too..and I don't remember if I sold them or what..heh..I have fallen prey to the same thing..that's what I get for sleeping in other peoples beds..damnit!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:23 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

No no, I didnt sell them! I know that I had the items before I started travelling wildly, then I went between several different cities and did one quest in Vivec (The two smiths competition). After a while I checked my items and had lost some of them and I know they did not break because I did not fight at all at that time.

Maybe this relates to the quest I did in Vivec. It required stealing something and after that I had to report to the guard and pay my fine because I got caught (only 5gp fine). I know the guard takes the stolen items but I did not have the stolen item(s) anymore at that time because I had handed them over. Maybe the guard took something else and that was my armor?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:33 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

The guards take "compensation", which basically means any item you are carrying at the moment. My thief/assasin was a bit sloppy with his infiltarion job and I ended up having the 1000gp bounty on my head. I had the money with me so I surrendered and paid the fine. After I checked my inventory, most of my stuff was missing except for some small items...

If the same thing happened to you, then it's not a bug, it's just pure corruption

It's always better to store everything you got in a container of some sort before turning yourself in...
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:57 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I, too, think that you are witnessing some sort of corruption here. I remember that when I was in Balmora, there was talk about corruption going on amongst the guards, and at Fort Moonmoth, well - those who followed this part of the story will know, but I don't want to spoil the others.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:12 am

The guards will take everything stolen (from anywhere or anyone) off you if you every turn yourself in for a crime.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:19 am

Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Great! Then it is explained and it's not a bug but another proof of the novelty of this game.

So, I have to live with my actions and get those items back somehow

What a great game.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:46 am
Nephilim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, I've found out something rather aggrevating about it.

My char is a thief. I went into a building to practice my profession and found a crate with a full suit of armor in it. It was better than the armor I currently had, so I took it. At this point I was carrying too much crap so I figured I'd drop my old armor in a crate, sell some other stuff I had and come back and get my old armor to sell.

I go and sell my 'hot' items, except for my newly 'acquired' armor and I go to retrieve my old armor from the crate to sell it as well. Everything goes fine, I get my old armor and get to the armorer's shop. There's a guard inside, but I didn't really think anything of it. The armorer fingers my old armor for stolen goods and I have to not only pay the fine, but lose my new armor AND my old armor in the process, all because I stored my old armor in a crate somewhere for a short period of time.

Lesson: DON'T STORE STUFF IN CRATES that aren't SPECIFICALLY yours. If you do, and retrieve the items later, they will be considered stolen, whether you bought them or not (I had purchaced my old armor, fair and square).
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:07 am
Yegolev

argh, hehe

That stinks. I expect you might have better luck selling to a fence or some other agent that does not have a problem dealing in stolen merchandise. Those guards make me nervous, and I only take stuff that people leave lying around in the open... OBVIOUSLY they don't want it too badly, hehe.

Ugh, but what container do I own? None... I keep my spare items in a large urn on the street.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:16 pm

Galdaen Sunfire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Possible Spoilers
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
You could use the House of the Guy that murdered the tax collector or the Council Club in Balmora if you did the "bloodbath" quest. Once you kill the occupant of a house without being caught, you have "inhereted" it.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:46 pm

Yeah, this isn't corruption or anything. It's happened to me twice. What happens is that guards can magically see what items you have that are stolen, which is really irritating. So, if you get caught for doing a crime, the guards take all the stolen stuff that you have (maybe just the stolen stuff you have equipped, I'm not sure about books and potions and such). Like I said, this has happened to me twice, and both times I noticed it just after being accosted by a guard for killing someone.

Worry not. It's a "feature" not a bug
Post Tue May 07, 2002 11:42 pm