Are there cloaks in Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Are there cloaks in Morrowind?

Because of my playing style, I haven't covered much of the game yet and I was wondering if there are any cloaks in Morrowind? I am about to make a druid type class, and I want to dress him with a cloak.

edit: about time i changed the batteries in my kb. :|

Last edited by Brenner on Wed May 29, 2002 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 29, 2002 10:26 pm
Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cloaks are one of the many items of clothing available. They very in quality and appearance. One of my characters (low level) got hold of a cloak with some magical properties which caused it to shimmer a little as it was worn. Looked very cool and covered up the ugly armour he was wearing. An npc commented to me after I started wearing it that I had really gone up in the world. Its details like this which make morrowind such a cool game.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 10:32 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

There are no cloaks. You have belts & rings & amulets (do not display on character), pants/skirts & shirts (display on character), armor for every part of your body (displays on your character), and robes that cloak all armor & clothes when equipped (except for shoulder pads & helmet).

EDIT: I wish there were cloaks, as Delmonte said "details like this make morrowind such a cool game", and as it it is - they don't as these details are absent. (Daggerfall cloaks were cool, you could even change the way you wore them)
Post Wed May 29, 2002 11:25 pm
A Storm Atronach

You're both right. Cloaks *are* robes in Morrowind; robes aren't low-end light armor, like AD&D mages wear. You wear robes over your armor, and they function as cloaks, usually providing a layer of magical protection.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 11:53 pm

LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

If i recall right, in Daggerfall you could have 3 cloaks simultaneously and all in a different position (one on the shoulders, one hanging back, one covering your head & face), or in the same position if you wished so, and there were some cloaks for winter even. I can see no reason why cloaks were made to robes in Morrowind. I'm actually dissapointed as i cant march on as an Archmage using my staff as a cain and the wind blowing in my cloak (wich would be blue if there were any). In Daggerfall the choice on how to dress was meaningless to the game, but made it more like a true rpg. Having 20 different shirts or straps? (for the kinky players i presume) or pants or whatever made your looks unique.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 12:35 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

that's too bad. I hope someone with some 3dmax experience will add some sometime. or even add them in the official patch. also along those lines, i'd like to see them add proper shadows. a stick figure shadow when you are waearing a robe or large armor makes no sense. i ended up turning the shadows off after a while because of it.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 12:43 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The Devs stated that cloaks were problematic since the whole WYSYWYG clothing thing requires replacing one model with another (e.g. shirt with cuirass, hair or head with helm etc.), while cloaks would be an additional "piece". Also it was mentioned that it would be difficult to make them "move" right.
Maybe someone will mod it, but I assume that would come at the price of some clipping problems.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 11:24 am