opinions please
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
russell
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

opinions please

How does gothic compare with arx fatalis which was pretty good but spoilt by to many bugs. honest opinions appreciated
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:33 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

There's quite a lot of differences but I'd generally think if you enjoyed Arx, Gothic is even better.

Gothic is very open/non-linear in the beginning so there's much more opportunity to explore however you'd like to and the puzzles aren't as many or cryptic. Characters level up more rapidly so there's more opportunities to build your character. The Arx world is pretty good but Gothic is the benchmark for a living, believable game world.

There are some bugs but if you use the latest patches you really shouldn't have any problems as long as you're careful with winches (they're not always reliable).

Gothic is a classic (even if the masses don't know it) - give it a go!
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:51 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Gothic: Why I love this game ...

1. Great looking graphics that run on lower end systems. (I run a p3 450, 320 mb ram, ge force 4 mx 64 mb vid card and i run tha game on high details in 800 X 600)
2. Great simulation of a living breathing gameworld. NPC's have things they do besides just stand around waiting to be spoken to. They go home and sleep at night, in the morning some wash their faces, others cook breakfast.
3. Lots of room to roam and explore.
4. A good amount of challenge that is never annoyingly frustrating.
5. Plenty of choices to be made that carry consequence.
6. AWESOME combat system
7. Satisfying character develoment.
8. Great voice acting.
9. An engaging story that is quite believable in it's own context.
10. Fun quests.
11. Good sound.
13. Cool weapons.
14. Cool monsters.

I have encoutered very few bugs. One weird AI bug where a buddy type charcter attacked me randomly but it was easy to workaround. I have had a couple random crash to desktops as well, but it is very rare. This is easily my favorite game, dethroning Fallout 2 in my top 10 favs.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:58 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The others seem to overlook some of the problems this great game, so it seems itīs once again up to me to mention the weaker spots.

-Gothic is only nonlinear in the first third
-there are still a handfull bugs and stability issues. Most of them harmless, but still bugs.
-the controls are a bit strange, they are similar to most shooters. Donīt expect to master them in 5 minutes. The good thing is: you have control, the computer doesnīt fight for you.
-recommended for a fluent game @1024: 1GHz, GeForce 2 GTS, 512 MB.
-The beginning has a slow pace and plays more like an adventure because you have to avoid combat.

Trying the demo might be an idea, as long as you donīt have a newer ATI card. The patch wasnīt released for the demo.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:45 pm