Usergroups
Gothic Demo- WTF?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Jaenos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, I've been loosly following the game for awhile now, and it does look itneresting, but I just tried the demo and it hardly runs on my computer.

What are the system requirements for this thing?

Rest assured basically everything I have is almost top of the line and the video card has 64mb of ram.

Is it like a bad build or something?

[ This Message was edited by: Jaenos on 2001-12-07 22:20 ]
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:16 am
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You better know what you are doing before posting here.

My system is old. 1.2ghz 512 ram geforce 2gts and the game runs super super smooth with no hitches at all.

You must be a newbiee. try updating dirextx8, video, sound motherboard drivers, enable dma -dont know why people use udma anyhow because its just burst.

The game demo was pretty good. The game itself...its a masterpiece for those who like to work hard and have patience.

Gothic is great!

ohh--XP is bad for this game...it needs a update patch. Somewhere after the orc camps, it occasionally crashes severly...RUns perfect on ME and win98se.

I have a quad boot system with linux, win98se winME winxp.

[ This Message was edited by: propellerhead on 2001-12-08 01:20 ]
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 7:16 am
Jaenos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I can assure you, I have all the updated drivers, and my comp is quite a bit faster then yours, and it still ran weird.

Surely enough, I turned of MSN messanger and it ran fine, very weird, but I apologize for a hasty complaint.

Other then that, its a pretty good game.
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 7:44 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Whats your compter spec?

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:06 pm
Jaenos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Double post

[ This Message was edited by: Jaenos on 2001-12-08 11:35 ]
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:55 pm
Jaenos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I listed them in the original message, but then changed it, I dont' like going around blabbling about comp specs when they *may* be better then other peoples; I hated people whod id that when I was on my ol' 450, and still don't like it, hehe.

And this game, I must say, is really cool and freaking huge, and I only have the demo. A little tough and targeting could be a little better, but quite a good game.

Now if someone could direct me to an English Walkthrough....
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 4:57 pm
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I really recommend this game for you guys. Anyway, If it can run on your pc's GET iT. the story is great and it does not hav ethat stupid hollywood special effects with cheesy stories that will make you think you are watcing a hollywood movie. This game may get odd for some and others may complain that they hate the ending..I have not been their yet but those are the ones that do not understand the plot or have any idea that these guys are not doing HOLLYWOOD! Thank goodness.

Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:11 pm
Jaenos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Agreed. The only thing I could have asked more was some better color variations. THe textures are pretty good and they do fit the area and mood they want to set, but what I have seen so far is somewhat bland.

Anyway, back to your statement, your right, for a game of this calibur, its refreshing to see that pop culture isn't here. This is what games used to be like, based on inovative game design and story. While the story may be a bit thing, the premise is enough to keep it going becasue it has never been done(at least to my knowledge)
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 5:38 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Jaenos
------
There are people that tells people that they have a good computer, and then turns out to have a 2ghz Pentium 4 with a TNT2 card, wich is as potent as a castrated bull, or as fast as a porche on two wheels.

With a GeForce card (wich is standard since 1999 or later) this game runs very well.

About color variations... See the sectcamp at night... =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 3:13 am
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You know that you are absoulutly right!

Just because you think you run a kick butt computer out there does not make it a kick butt computer unless you know how to launch the power.

running a tnt2 on a p3 on any megahertz or a p4 2ghz is like trying to shoot a rocket out of a beebee gun.

I like mr.J comment or reply about this game being refreshing and I agree that the textures do need something because it is a little bland but hey! I like old books dont you ?
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 4:55 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I cannot come up with any 3d RPG that looks better than Gothic. =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 3:28 pm