Question about playing as a mage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Question about playing as a mage

Tears of innos is useful as a paladin, but does it haveany use for a mage at all?

During rune making session, there is an option about "secrets of library". I used it but it says not enough resources. What does it do exactly and what am I missing?

Is shrink monster worth it? I need to remove troll tusks, but I don't know if it's worth spending 5 LP to learn it.

How much mana do you need in the game? I have 200 right now, but I always run out very quickly. Large firestorm sucks in this game. It requires so much mana and doesn't do much. It was a very good spell in gothic I.

Is rain of fire any good? It sucked in gothic I.

Wave of Ice is awesome. It has a much larger radius than gothic I. It's my favorite spell in gothic 2.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:37 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

1. tears of innis heals you compleatley gives you speed and adds a permanant bous to STR and DEX +5

2.You need 1 blank rune and a bottle of holywater, that's all.

3. Don't know I never used it.

4.Learn how to brew mana potions and you end up with about 450 mana, I always learn lightning as a 4th circle rune, it doth kick ass.

5. Rain of fire is good but Wave of Death is better.

6. Wave of ice is a cool spell, and the most usefull aswell.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:42 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I wonder if shrink monster can work on dragons?

Shrink monster is useful against trolls in gothic I otherwise it's near impossible. That's the about it. Trolls in gothic 2 is weak though. If it has no other use, it's not useful.

So far in my game, I find it easy to play as a mage. I would say mage is easier than paladin and dragon hunter. You kill everything from afar and don't need to mess with undead. I am about to play chp6 once I get everything I need.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:59 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Mage is a powerful class, I never succeded in clearing the tomb near Onars form when I was a merc. But as a mage it was very easy. Kill the skeletons who hold the keys to the chests loot the chests stand up and cast wave of death, othewise you'll have to take on 6 skeletons and a skeletal mage in melee combat which is very hard since those skeletons are exelent warriors and the mage keeps on freezing you.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:49 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Joeman

It sure does. I used it on the fire dragon in the Halls of Irdorath. "Aah, what a cute little dragon, Googiiegoogie"
But then I "accidentally" killed it with one blow.

Would it work on normal size creatures, a dwarven lizardman or a midget Orc, that would be wonderfull.

But it isn't neede to learn how to make the rune, you can find the spell twice, as fas as I know. It's funny, but you can easily do without it.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:11 pm
Yamcha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Joeman

So far in my game, I find it easy to play as a mage. I would say mage is easier than paladin and dragon hunter. You kill everything from afar and don't need to mess with undead. I am about to play chp6 once I get everything I need.

I used it on the last dragon when i played Gothic 2 the fifth time, it was so funny looking at a mighty beast being so helpless.

Paladin is the easiest way to play, because you get three very powerful runes (OK the first one sucks) against evil creatures and if you want you can use the sword as a mercenary.
Post Sat May 01, 2004 8:30 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I think all of the three guilds have their advantages and disadvantages. Every time I play as a mage I'm having some trouble when I get surrounded by Orcs and Lizardmen. I don't think the area spells are very usefull and as a dragonhunter you can become so enormously powerfull with your sword that you can chop anything to pieces.
Also when playing a mage I found it very annoying when your mana runs out and you have to pull your sword, because you haven't been able to kill every creature in time.

But the paladins combine both things and they get the strongest armor pretty early in the game (except for the paladin-armor). So I'd say paladins are also the easiest way to play it, but the least fun.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 1:45 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I still think mage is the easiest if you do the absolute minimum and wait until chapter 5. Once you get waves of ice, the game is over. You chop everything down one by one. After you gain many levels and build up your mana, I go back and learn 6th circle spells.

Being ganged up by lizardman can be a problem, but they don't chase you very far. They don't attack you if you transform into animals. In theory you can just go in and kill all the dragons and get out.

Chapter 6 is ridiculously easy. wave of death and destroy undead kills everything. Holy missle kills the dragons.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 7:48 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: playing mage

Without INOS eyes, all dragons are invulnerable.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 8:33 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: re: playing mage

quote:
Originally posted by kingsorel
Without INOS eyes, all dragons are invulnerable.

Well yeah. Did I say attacking dragons without the eye? no.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 9:00 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: playing mage

quote:

Paladin is the easiest way to play, because you get three very powerful runes (OK the first one sucks) against evil creatures and if you want you can use the sword as a mercenary

I disagree with that. The assumed most powerful paladin rune (holy arrow)has no effect against a long list of monsters, among them are field raiders, firelizards, wolves, bloodflies,lurkers and Ur-Shak...
Post Sun May 02, 2004 9:43 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

But you also have a very powerfull sword.
You can use the spells to take out Lizardmen and Orcs and Undead and just use your sword against the rest.

Like you need holy arrow to kill wolves and fieldraiders and bloodflies and lurkers.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 10:55 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
Like you need holy arrow to kill wolves and fieldraiders and bloodflies and lurkers.

You're right holy arrow is a bit to much, I always use fire arrows on those monsters if I'm not in the mood to go melee. 3 arrows are enough to kill those monsters.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 11:41 am
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: playing as mage

quote:

Are you trying to play words with me?
Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:33 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Me??!!

I wouldn't dare.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 3:26 pm