the COOH
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ok, here it is. First my specs.

ADM Athlon 1.2 GHz
512 mb Ram
60 gb HD
Sis 630/730 (video card)

The problem is this, when the game starts you see everything, and can do eveything, but once you move the problems start. any move that you make, like pulling out a wepond, leaves a trail of gray. But the trail doesn't go away. Also, anything in the backgraound, tree, mountainm whatever, once your characture turns it leaves a trail of gray. Its like an after image that just stays there.

Now, I have read a lot of these posts so the first thing I did was look for new/different drivers. I did find some, but It didn't change anything. I disabled fog. No change. I played around with some of the other files in gothic but in the end I got nothing.

I did discover, that I could play the game if I had it open as a windows application. No gray, and everything worked. I just beat the game accually. But my point is, the game will run on my computer (in windows mode) and besides that nasty gray after image the game looks and plays great. The problem is that the gray will very soon take over the entire screen.

I would really love to play this game the way it was ment to be played. Windows mode sucks, but I have run out of ideas. I've down loaded the patch, nothing. Deinstaled/reinstalled gothic, nothing. I've done everyting that I can think off, I just don't understand why the game will work in windows mode, but have this problem when played as it should be?

I'm putting this out here, because I am only fairly good with computers and I'm hopeing someone with more experence can lead me in the righ direction. Thanks
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:30 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Updated drivers?
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:55 pm
the COOH
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have the most up to date drivers for everything, and I have directX 8.1, I'm also running windows 98. I have heard that somethimes the most up to date drivers arn't always the best. If anyone has a computer like mine, and the game runs, I would like to know what type of drivers you are useing.
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:01 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, it is true that newest drivers arnt always best for not "newest games". Games are ussually optimized to not newest drivers in moment of release. So you can search sis site for drivers from that period.
But I do not know how and if such graphics cards are supported. Strange combination - fats cpu, enough ram and this horrible graphic card.
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:14 am
the COOH
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If this video card real sucks, what type of card would you guys (and gals) recommend? I had this computer built for me at a computer show. Back then I only wanted one that could run the very complicated 3D modeling programs I use to visualize DNA and Protein. I didn't even play computer games. Then I picked up Gothic, and well that has changed! If I have to get a new video card, what should it be?
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:17 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I do not know if this card sucks.
But it is not ussuall card.
Read f. e. many posts about problems with Radeon cards.
There two biggest producesr of graphic cards (chipsets) today - NVidia and ATI (Radeon). NVidia is bigger so users of ATI cards have many problems with games.
Sis cards are even more "unussuall" and there for unsupported. You will always have many many problems with games. Games will not be optimazed for your GPU, drivers...
If you search easy, "without_problems" solution, buy GForce. Maybe GForce 2Ti or Pro. In our countries GForce3 cards are too expensive. But it will change with GForce4 in next moths.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-06 01:18 ]
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:16 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I think that Sis 630/730 is mainboard from SiS with SiS chipset and integrated powerful graphic card.
It has one aditional AGP4x pro/fast writes slot (many mb with integrated graphic chips have no AGP slot).
So you have many possibilities. You can buy some NVidia card and use it for gaming and your current GPU for science (though this will require some not really easy switching).
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:23 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I also think you have an integrated graphics chip, so the first step will be to find out if you have an AGP slot.

Since you _need_ compatibility with your serious applications it may be a good idea to purchase it in a store where you can return it.

SiS: cheap, bad drivers
Matrox: excellent for business, bad for gaming
Kyro: good for gaming, bad for business
Voodoo5: outdated. Still good for gaming, but lack of new drivers

ATI and nVidia are market leaders:
nVidia:
GeForce2-MX or GeForce4-MX: old technology. Avoid.
GeForce2 Pro, Ti, Ultra with 64MB: good and reliable, no hardware T&L
GeForce3: more performance, still a few driver issues, hardware T&L
GeForce4: should be called GeForce3.5. Fast, driver quality unknown, brandnew ==> expensive

ATI:
comparable speed to the competing nVidia product, excellent DualHead and DVD features, less reliable drivers, traditionally superior image quality.
Smaller 7500: avoid.
Radeon 7500: GeForce2 Pro class.
Radeon 8500: GeForce3 Ti-500 class.

My choice would be either a GeForce2 Ti (or Pro) for 100$ or a GeForce3 Ti-200 for 200$.
If you can return the card, a Radeon 8500 could be worth a try.
Allways buy RETAIL graphics cards!
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:46 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

If you go for a GeFocre, be aware that there are issues with XP, NVidia and VIA chipsets. I suggest you go with the latest Microsoft drivers then (can be downloaded with Windows update. Avoid older Detonators with your GeForce3 Ti, since you'll have a lot of problems then.

I have an Athlon, XP and a GeForce 3 Ti 200. With the windows drivers, everything is quite fine now.

Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:05 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

My brother and I both went for a GeForce 3TI and have had no problems at all.

Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:17 pm
the COOH
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for the info! I will try an figure this thing out over spring break. I'll let you know what I do, and if it fixes the problems.
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:04 pm