Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
DX2:The next stage of human evolution: transhuman & post
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Which faction below you prefer in Dx2 (refer to addendum first).
The Omar (pro-posthumanism)
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
The Templars (anti-posthumanism)
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author Thread
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Deffenetly the Omar
Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:35 am
p3t0$
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's a very interesting discussion, i want to congratulate the topic starter.
I must say that when i'll play DX2 (soon, very soon... ) i'll surely choose the Omar, because i think their beliefs fit to game's logics more than the Templars' (or, in a rough way, it's simply funnier).
It's like playing a casual RPG (let's say Fallout): if there's an available enhancement (or, speaking of Fallout, a Perk: the Phoenix Armour Implants perk fits perfectly) that gives you a big advantage in the character development but make a significant change to your body/aspect why not to make a good use of it?
Keep in mind that this is true only if you're playing a game: the real world is a far more difficult "game" to play and not all the choices that at first sight seem to be good are REALLY good for you (on the contrary, usually it's very easy to screw thingsup... and there's no quickload option ).
I must admit, i'm quite scared about nano-technology, body augmentation, genetic manipulation, etc, not for what they really are, but for the use we'll make of them.
I think the world is in bad shape, we've a lot of problems to solve right now and adding more to the list just makes life harder, not better.
If science and technology would be used ONLY for all our sakes, i'd say yes without any esitation...
but we all know that's not true.
At this time, the world is not ready for body augmentations or genetic engineering and frankly i think it won't be either in the distant future.
I'm not a moralist or a religious person at all (i'm atheist, figure it), nor i'm against progress and science, keep in mind that.

The wisest way to choose is, in my opinion, conservative and progressive at the same time:

[1st Step]: Taking extreme care of the nano-technology development, even if that means slowing the testing process for years and years: i prefer to ensure myself a safe life rather than jumping into the void, without knowing what my future will be.

[2nd Step]: IF it proves to be safe and not endagering to man, developing a free solution, or at least a not extremely money-dependant one, to body augmentation (a sort of open-source: Linux Docet ).

These steps are ABSOLUTELY COMPULSORY if we really want to improve our life without sacrificing our freedom and security.
Technology is just a tool that man can use to improve life quality, but it can be dangerous and enslave you if you don't use it wisely.
In Italy we have a saying: the virtue is in the middle (i hope i've translated it in the right way, i'm not sure... ).

P.S.

Just to stick to the topic's theme, I'd suggest to play another wonderful (but unfortunately too short) game, named "Beneath A Steel Sky" and developed by Origin (yes, they're the ones that developed Lure of the Temptress and Broken Sword, too).
It has been declared freeware by now, so you can download it for free HONESTLY (go to http://www.scummvm.org/ ); if you like sci-fi and that sort of stuff, it's certainly a good game to have.
It reminded me Deus Ex, in some ways.

BE VIGILANT.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:02 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2