FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The End of Black Isle Studios
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Murazor4096

It's always sad to see a quality studio being dismantled, but for Black Isle is a very bitter fate. I don't understand this desicion either; for as far as I can see, Black Isle could still generate a lot of money for Interplay. But then again, maybe this is the sad result of a classic publisher/developer struggle about future titles behind all this. Or maybe Interplay has found itself to be in real financial trouble. I wonder...
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:57 am

Brios

I`ve added a few more names on NMA, Dhruin, and check the dev thoughts on the comments on our threads. it was Puuks birthday ...
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:20 am

the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

WTF? Are Interplay aspiring to be Trip Hwakins from former 3DO now?!? Well, they suceeded, damn stupid.
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:42 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

What I really want is to hear real reason.
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:25 am
OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
One dev team was moved over to console development (BG:DA2), which they have completed.

Which team was that?

quote:
It's not their fault management pulled two projects from under them.

Shouldn't that read "three projects"? I remember a thing called Torn... Anyway, as to the reasons behind the axe, we can only guess. Obviously there has been bad blood between the execs and the BIS teams for a long time. It could be because the former were unable to impress their view on games on the latter, in the end forcing them to either fire the developers or cancel the title if they wanted to continue making use of their creative talent. Or it could be that the developers have had enough if the exec's mismanagement and meddling and started to mount resistance against yet another inexplainable cancellation, causing the execs to fire them at once.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Obsidian's titles, but not so much to inXile's, I'm afraid. Judging by how they are treating the Bard's Tale franchise I loathe the thought what they'd do to Fallout if they'd get their hands on it. I fear we'd all prefer a FoBoS for PC, then...
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:58 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

When I said "two" I was thinking only post-IWD2 (in reponse to the mighty stamar).

Dave Maldonado was originally the lead on BG:DA2 so I guess it was his team but I didn't pay close attention to BG:DA2's development so I'd have to check I was remembering correctly.

As for the "why?" Sadly, it's probably pretty straight forward. Interplay was left with ~$20M from the sale of Shiny which they've burned through in a year. Lionheart wasn't a big success. Both BGDA2 and FOBOS will miss Xmas because of the dispute with VU. They're broke.

With Caen at the wheel, "console" is the way of the day, so Caen decided he'd rather scrap a PC development and close that division so that any funds could be used to pursue FOBOS2 than continue with that PC development. They see consoles as the way forward.
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:22 pm
OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmmm... that might actually be close to the truth. If you're right, this means they likely expect FoBoS2 to take less money and possibly even less time to make than they would have to spend on VB to complete that. I imagine re-using the BoS1 engine and adding a little new content is absolutely feasible and certainly cheaper than completing a full-fledged with all-new technology. After all, they've done similar stuff before, even though I must say the results were better than I had expected (IWD2, for example).
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:32 pm
AngryFalloutBoy

Tell 'em how you feel.

Interplay public relations: pr@interplay.com
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:24 pm

goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

A sad day for RPG gaming. Unfortunately, this does not come as a surprise. I'm really surprised how the suits at Interplay can make one bad decision after another; it's mind boggling, it's like they're trying their best to make the company go bankrupt....
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:21 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Sad thing to hear, but non unexpected, any way.
IPLY is making stupid decisions after stupid desicions ....
I can only hope that the licences go to good hands ...
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:41 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

In the end the mighty "$" only counts. If they (Interplay) have choice between good games and good sellers, guess what will they chose? As for state of mind of current management: tsk, tsk, tsk.

The only good think I see for the future is more European games.

P.S. O, and for the record NOOOOOOOO!!!!! damn you all!!!
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:20 pm
matthias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hope

I am greatly saddened. It is a dark day presently for Rpg's. However we should all remember when there was such an abundance of action 3d games and rts and then game Fallout, Baldur's Gate and a myriad of other rpg's. It takes a while for the executives to get the clue but eventually they do. Right now the only rpg companies I look at are inxile and bethsaida. At least I know elders scroll 4 will be coming out.
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:14 pm

I, for one, won't miss the BI games. There isn't really much actual roleplaying to be had in them. They are good games, though and many people like them. I feel bad for the employees. Hopefully they can find work quickly.
Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:17 pm

hoyp::.

yay
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:23 am

matthias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Tell 'em how you feel.

quote:
Originally posted by AngryFalloutBoy
Interplay public relations: pr@interplay.com

I think that is a very good Idea. I already sent them a e-mail. Also just a little note tell them how you feel but be civil. If only for the sake of them actually reading it and considering it. Writing to them will probably not change their minds but who knows.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:50 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next