Using scrolls and transport runes? No info in manual
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Using scrolls and transport runes? No info in manual

I am playing a mercenary, but should be able to use low level scrolls and the transportation runes, right?

I had no trouble using magic scrolls in Gothic 1 but have never been able to figure it out in Gothic 2.

In this game I have never been able to actually cast a spell at all. I can select and equip the spell, but I have not been able to cast it. I have enough mana that I should be able to cast a spell that uses, say 5 or 7 mana (actually, quite a bit more than that) but I have never been able to do it, and the manual does not contain this rather important piece of information!

So, with the spell equipped, (i.e. blue light being held up by our hero) what do I do to cast the spell? Clicking and holding either of the mouse buttons does not work. Nor does the mouse wheel. Nor does any key on the keyboard. And I'm not getting any message about not having enough mana to cast the spell.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:42 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

make sure you have somebody or something (creature) focused. then just click.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:19 pm
Crashzone
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

hold your left mouse and press forward (for a teleport rune)
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:24 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

oh forgot, same with the other spells... + forward
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:52 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Re: Using scrolls and transport runes? No info in manual

First enter inventory and click on the scroll in inventory to equip it. You will se a number from 4 to 9 appear on it.

To use the scroll when in the main screen, press 4 (or whatever is the number of the spell you want). Then you use the arrow keys and activate the same as you do when fighting. I think that is the left mouse button if you are configured as the game is originally. (Awful configuration...I've changed it.) Make sure you have enough mana to use the spell. If not, nothing happens. Nothing at all. While you are trying to figure out if anything happened, the creature kills you. When the spell does work, you know it. A fireball will show a flash of fire and, hopefully, your enemy will drop dead.

BTW, do you know that pressing 1 will activate any sword you have equipped and pressing 2 will activate a bow if you have one equipped.

quote:
Originally posted by Hagatha
I am playing a mercenary, but should be able to use low level scrolls and the transportation runes, right?

I had no trouble using magic scrolls in Gothic 1 but have never been able to figure it out in Gothic 2.

In this game I have never been able to actually cast a spell at all. I can select and equip the spell, but I have not been able to cast it. I have enough mana that I should be able to cast a spell that uses, say 5 or 7 mana (actually, quite a bit more than that) but I have never been able to do it, and the manual does not contain this rather important piece of information!

So, with the spell equipped, (i.e. blue light being held up by our hero) what do I do to cast the spell? Clicking and holding either of the mouse buttons does not work. Nor does the mouse wheel. Nor does any key on the keyboard. And I'm not getting any message about not having enough mana to cast the spell.

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:01 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks for the info. Now I can start Chapter 3 when I'm ready - I started it inadvertently last night and decided to forgo it for the information on the runes, and for a few more levels.
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:42 am