Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone wanna buy a copy of Morrwind...dirt cheap!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Anyone wanna buy a copy of Morrwind...dirt cheap!!

Uhh...this game is lacking in many ways, lets recap.

Combat. Now, if I have a weapon equipped and Im 18" away from my opponent and I swing with my crosshairs directly on his chest, should I be missing 19/20 times?
If Im specialized in Marksmanship and a monster is charging me and closing ground between us should it take me 12 arrows before I see a splash of blood...from 5ft away?
Combat in 3rd person perspective? 100% Utterly useless.
The combat system in this game makes Gothic seem as fluid and easy to understand as me playing Street FighterII for hours and hours in the arcade, whipping out the most complex moves like nothing.
The Kill/Reward factor seems to be thrown right out the window in this game. Except for the 3 smugglers I was able to drop in the starter town, I have not been able to kill a *single* thing in this game. Im fully armored with medium-grade equipment, but commoners in Clothing are beating my ass to the ground...and keeping me there...with their bare hands.
I didnt realize the commoners were trained Shao-Lin monks with fists of death, able to punch past my shield and armors. Quite amazing.
I've had the game for almost a week and have about 8hrs of actual game time and about 19hrs of reloads from the constant beat-downs.

The NPCs dont have a timetable, they just walk around town in circles...all day and night long, as if they've lost the keys to their homes.
Talking to NPCs could very well branch out into a conversation that's longer than "War and Peace" with names and places that sound like they came out a Klingon dictionary (Harg'nah, Th'kah, Dre'la Coblais). By the time I get done reading what 3 NPCs have to say, I've totally forgotten what Im supposed to be doing in this game to begin with (I *still* dont know what the main quest is in this game). Lore is good when it immerses you into the game, not when it lulls you to sleep with Klingon references and fluff.

Graphics are cool, once you reduce them.

More venting to follow later on...

Btw, if you DO know how combat works, share this secret knowledge with me cause so far this game is a big disappointment.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:36 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

read the www.morrowind.com forums. People are complaining killing is too EASY. Makes you wonder huh.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:46 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

uh yea, if your Fatigue is down (the little green bar below your health) then you are going to miss ALOT, if its up alot, you'll hit alot, running takes down fatigue and jumping does also, so if your running around then your fatigue is prolly low which is causing you to miss alot.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:47 pm

What a moron. Read the manual and learn how combat works, or go pick up a copy of Quake.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:52 pm

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Wow that guy is bitter, obviously not into Truely immersive and real RPG's..but to each his own.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:13 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yeah you must be doing something wrong... I've had no problems with combat at all so far. Make sure you are using a weapon that you have the highest skill points in its skill catagory. Also use only the armor type that you have the highest skill in also. I've heard archery takes some points in marksman ship before you can consistantly hit at long range. Make sure you arent over encumbered because it slows you down. Also watch your fatigue levels. I run and jump everywhere but before I enter combat I turn off run mode so my fatigue isn't at 0 when i fight. You also might want to check out your stats to see if maybe one is really low and affecting you adversely. If you created a character class that is unplayable for you then start over and create one to fix the problems you have had so far or use a standard one that more suits the way you want to play the game....
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:14 pm

Re: Anyone wanna buy a copy of Morrwind...dirt cheap!!

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel

More venting to follow later on...

Save it.

Combat is easy. Like most RPGs, when you first start, you suck. You have to pick your targets carefully and not be afraid to run if you are getting smacked around. Archery is hard - you have to have a high archery skill to hit a moving target in combat. Fight with a bunch of the easy monsters and =surprise= you will find yourself getting better at using your weapon....gosh, you'll start hitting. Oh why bother explaining simple things, sell your game if you can't hack it.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:44 pm

Deleted

Post text deleted.

Edited by Incindium
While I don't agree with Shrapnel he's a established RPGDot forums member... No reason to get nasty with him... Especially since you are just a guest.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:11 pm

Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

????Shrapnel

Everything you complain about is common in GOOD rpgs:
-dialog and lots of it (main/side & rumor storys are almost required)
-low skills, takes awhile to become all powerful
-actual thinking before and during a fight.-(strategy)

I think the mistake here is you thought Gothic was a great RPG?
Gothic is an elemetary school level RPG:(my opinion)
-dialog so simple and straightforward it's lacking
-combat is a joke, it's point and shoot -(boring)
The two great things about Gothic is the free movement -(go anywhere you want anytime), and the scripted NPC daily routines-(however, the more you play it the more you find they DO have a routine) Other than that Gothic is tiny compared to Morrowind, i'll bet money Gothic2 will be ALOT more like Morrowind.-(if not then they are making a big mistake)

You expected to enter the game and kill everything? Come-on you played the game, what 4 hours?
(nothing personal, just seems your slamming the game, due to your own frustration-not fair)
Few Tips:
Combat: BEFORE you fight make sure your stamina is FULL-(allows you to hit more-often)
Get a FAST/light weapon-(dagger), use ONLY that light fast weapon until you learn how combat works-(more swings= more time to learn)

Dialog; EVERYTHING truly important will appear in your journal-(learn to use it) ALL the rest of the dialog is just fun reading for the most part, breeze past it at your own pace.

ADVENTURE: I spent 2 hours just using the "water walking" spell, started walking around the ENTIRE landmass-(didn't even pass 1/4 of it), it was fun looking at all the fishes, and trying to make it to the next island/rock. lol...
Just have fun exploring, heck ignore the story for awhile if it bores you. Once you learn your way around better you can fly through the main story.
Good Luck
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:30 pm