Members
Usergroups
Why you should never make a priest in MM9
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Guest Dare

Why you should never make a priest in MM9

Some things I learned after having a priest my first time through.

1) There doesn't seem to any GM level spells for the Spirit realm. This makes one of the skills a priest can GM fairly useless except to increase the effects of spells you already have. This is the #1 reason why you should avoid making a priest.

2) The signature spell (divine intervention) is shared with the Mage. The mage also gets to GM elemental which is what most of the damage spells rely on. Whereas a priest can only take it to master level (I think).

3) Priest's do not seem to have any hp/sp bonus over the other casters, although they can wear better armor. I found that by end game I really didn't need the better armor as I had my Lich equipped with Poltergiest and she never seemed to take much damage. Poltergiest has only 20 AC for those who don't know, there are a lot of other chain armors available with higher AC.

The advantages a priest DOES get are, slightly better melee weapon skills, the ability to wear a shield and better armor, the only caster able to get master level in more than 2 schools, the only class able to GM repair item. I think that's all of them. Now if you look them over you'll notice that they really don't give any good reason to take priest over a mage. The melee skills are going to be pointless when you have assasin's and gladiator's hitting 6-8 times a round. Spells are your bread and butter and there is no GM spirit spell. GM repair item isn't needed from what I found. In fact I never took my priest up to GM repair as there wasn't anything she couldn't fix with master level 7. The ability to take 3 schools to master level is actually more of a hinderance because you never specialize and end up putting a lot of points in skills you'll find you didn't need.

Anyways, I really don't think having a priest is a good idea. Unless you locked yourself out of a promotion to something else .
Post Fri May 17, 2002 10:40 am

Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

One thing you overlooked, at GM spirit the heal spell does something over 100 points per casting. Not a great benefit, but a good one.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 12:12 pm
Guest Dare

Not so much overlooked as left out on purpose. By the time you get GM spirit you should already have Divine Intervention. And if you don't then it shouldn't take you long to get it...
Why heal one character for 150 hp and use use up mana you could be using to do damage with, when you could simply cast DI and fully heal everybody AND replenish all your spell points?

Not to mention that a mage can potentially get DI earlier in the game since their promo quest is easy and they only have 2 spell schools to work on instead of the priest's 3.

It's a good point though, it should be added to the advantages list I suppose.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 1:30 pm

Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Mage's quest easy? I found that very hard before the party was in the high 20s. Turn undead did not work on the frights and two of them together pretty much toasted my party at L15 and L22. By L28 things were different, I had a full Ranger, Priest, and Gladiator, and it was relatively easy.

You are correct about the divine intervention as opposed to cure. I tried not to use it more than once per game day. Now, as the game winds down, I don't need it any more, no set of encounters damages the party enough to need any healing before a new level is available, or the party is weak (from lack of rest).

FYI - at this point the party is about L49, 'cept for mage at L99.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, I would not create a priest next time through (if there is a next time).
Post Fri May 17, 2002 1:42 pm
Guest Dare

I found that if you just run from the Frights you can usually grab-n-go.
Grab what you need and run for the exit.
The way frights usually attack is a kind of hit and run away tactic so you'll be running one way and they will be running the other way . By the time they figure out your not playing their game they can't catch up to you .
Post Sat May 18, 2002 5:53 am

Guest Dare

Paralyze should also work, if your the type that feels like running isn't something your comfortable with.
Post Sat May 18, 2002 5:55 am