NOTR how to play just the new areas?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NOTR how to play just the new areas?

Is it possible to just play the new areas only? So I reinstall G2 and then the add-on (when the Eng comes out)... and then do I have to play the original game again?
Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:48 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You can't play the new areas only because you'll have to play through parts of the 'old' game to reach the new parts of the island. You'll be there by chapter three at the latest, however.

You'll have to install the addon over the original game and then start a new game because old saves aren't compatible. Besides, the add-on doesn't add new territory only but also new quests, people, animals etc. and new ways to solve old quests, so you might want to play the whole game to make the most out of it.
Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:32 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"then do I have to play the original game again?"

If your not really intrested in replaying the whole game you might wait till you are, you proabaly will even get it cheaper since games decrease in price as time rolls on.
When Gothic 2 came out I played it so much I had to take a break before I would pick it up again and I purposely did not play it for awhile since I knew the addon was coming in some form or another.
What I did do was play Gothic 1 again a week or so before I got the addon, just to try to get the full flow of the story so far.
Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:07 am
Greb Jnnayr
Village Leader
Village Leader

There is a short cut to joining one of the camps without having to do all the work in chapter 1. So basically you can skip most of chapter 1. Then you can persue the addon quest, and then once you are done with the addon quest you can just quit the game. From what I understand you can start the addon quest in Chapter 1 and get it done in chapter 2. So you don't have to go through chapters 3-6.
Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:15 pm
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ok well I might skip the newbie stuff in chapter 1, but I'm interested to see how the new improved original plot etc play out. I'm not usually one to replay games, even great ones, but it might be interesting to play as a mage this time. I was a paladin last time. I just don't care to play through the end game on that island again, the game started to get old about that time for me personally.

Will the mage be a challenge the second time through? Or should I try a different class (besides paladin)?
Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:20 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You should have played the mage without the add-on. In TNotR the mage is very difficult to play.
Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:42 am
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well I'm looking for a challenge this time, is a mage so difficult that it's not fun to play?
Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:37 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

How can we know what you find fun to play?
Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:35 am
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
You should have played the mage without the add-on. In TNotR the mage is very difficult to play.

How can you know what I find difficult to play?

How about this, does anyone else find the mage too difficult in the add-on, and why.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:59 pm