Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Do astrological signs have any relevance?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...

Do astrological signs have any relevance?

When I read about my astrological sign (Scorpio) I don't think they are describing me very well. Some things, yeah, I can see it in myself. But I think most of it is bunk. What about you guys? Do any of you match your astrological sign? Or are these people just full of it?

Aries - March 21 - April 20
Taurus - April 21 - May 21
Gemini - May 22 - June 21
Cancer - June 22 - July 22
Leo - July 23 -August 23
Virgo - August 22 - September 22
Libra - September 24 - October 23
Scorpio - October 24 - November 22
Sagittarius - November 23 - December 21
Capricorn - December 22 - January 20
Aquarius - January 21 - February 19
Pisces - February 20- March 20
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:02 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well in all of that I would say that there is about 3 sentences that describe me
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:19 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

I am a gemini and it fits me. Not everything but much.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:22 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Most of it fit me.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:13 am
Hamsternator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, I truly believe that immense chunks of dirts whirling through the cosmos determine my personality and course in life. I intend to use this in court, rather than plead insanity. Oh, wait...
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:23 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Just full of it.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:17 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

quote:
Originally posted by Hamsternator
Yes, I truly believe that immense chunks of dirts whirling through the cosmos determine my personality and course in life. I intend to use this in court, rather than plead insanity. Oh, wait...

Gee, you echoed my thoughts on this topic exactly!! Wonder if we have the same sign!!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:50 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

This is a difficult subject. It seems that astrology gets things right more often than it gets things wrong, but it's clear to me that this is not for any mystical reasons. There's nothing special about the positions of big lumps of rock or the location of the moon w.r.t. the stars at birth, but several thousand years of empirical statistics has definitely shown that people born at different times in the year "tend" to have different qualities. A baby born in the winter will have a very different experience to one born in summer, and it's foolish to suppose that this won't affect them at all. How complex behaviours like "neatness" or "aggressiveness" arise from different environments at birth is a mystery - we just don't know enough about the brain. But there are definitely some general predictions you can make about someone based on their birth-month.

Add to this the positive feedback loop created when predictions/observations are vague enough that they leave room for personal interpretation, and it's clear why so many people both believe in astrology and think that it's accurate. Also, people who are a good fit with their sign will tend to follow astrologers more than people who don't fit at all, so the entire situation is biased - the people who are reading the predictions are the people who are most likely to match those predictions.

So, should you pay any attention to your stars, or not? I personally don't - there are much more interesting things to do instead of reading someone's advice for me for the coming week. I think I'm actually a good match for my sign, but have no interest in changing what I do because of it.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:34 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
Most of it fit me.

Now read the rest of the signs and you'll soon realize those mostly fit you as well. As they do most other human beings.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:48 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@cfm: I have to agree. And from that point of view I find it fascinating. It's a lot of interesting gee whiz information, but it doesn't apply to my daily life.

As for me matching that description of Scorpio? I plead the Fifth.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:55 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Val: Why's that I suppose? *wink*
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:01 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've always thought horoscopes were a load of old cobblers, and I still do. But I agree with cfm in that there could be something in the relationship between time of birth and character traits. I've seen descriptions like these before (with a skeptical eye), and like cfm I have found them to be surprisingly valid. And checking through several of the above links, I have yet to find any that fit me besides Taurus and Gemini (those are both my signs - I get to pick the best bits of each )

I was born on the 21st of May, which some publications used to regard as Gemini. That doesn't seem to happen any more, but astrology nuts I have known have usually said I resemble Gemini more than Taurus.

Then again, maybe it's all hokum. I don't know. Too little information, I'll wait til someone else proves or disproves it completely before wasting too many brain cells on it. I'm convinced that horoscopes are garbage though - except those in Weird Al Yankovich's "Your Horoscope For Today" - they're all true
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:37 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

well i do seem to carry a few scorpio traits. i've always considered horoscopes b.s. for people desperately seeking something to cling to in the way of beliefs and answers. or the very gullable. or both.

but what do i know? i mean if everything in the universe is energy, who's to say that when the energy of a human being is in a higher state, unlimited by senses and perception (before we're born/after we die) that it can't be influenced by the energy it's exposed to. if the universe has a volatile/passionate vibration when the sign of the scorpion is over the earth, or however they decide what your sign is, who's to say that that last bit of universal energy bombardment you get before you're born is going to affect the way your personality develops in some way? of course, more likely your sign tells you how the universal energy was tuned nine months before you were born, sense your spiritual energy enters a physical form at conception, not birth. and in all likelyhood, since after you die, your energy is at a developed enough state that it can no longer be influenced by the energy around it so in the hereafter (heaven/hell/reincarnation) you'll be less likely to pick up the energy around you. which would actually make a pretty convincing argument for reincarnation if so many people say they don't fit their horoscopes...

but regardless, it's better to change your own life than to wait for the stars to do it for you. if you spend all your time worrying because some astrologer said you're going to have a miserable day, then guess what? you're going to have a miserable day. likewise, if you get out of bed charged up because some astrologer said you're going to have a most excellent day, that's probably the day your going to have.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:54 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Capricorn describes me best... though of course all signs descriptors can be applied to everyone. Ego will have it no other way.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:06 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Never in my life did I meet someone that had the same b-day as me. And then, when I got to highschool at age 15, I met not one, but two people in my classroom that had the same b-day as me. And not just that they had the same b-day, but were born on the very same day, few hours apart.

One of them was a gangbanging bully, one was an extroverted goth, and I was an introverted geek. As far as I'm concerned, we were tri-polar opposites. So much for people being born on the same day having the same personalities. *pfft*
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:04 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next