Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Computer Gaming poorly represented (again)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Keltin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Computer Gaming poorly represented (again)

Someone needs to fire the people in charge of representing the Gaming Companies. It's an interesting topic that people should be made aware of.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/30/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:08 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:17 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I couldn't agree more. How is it possible for games to not be protected under the first amendment (in the US) is beyond me. If you don't like the content don't buy the game!

Of the games "reviewed" by the Judge: "The Resident of Evil Creek," "Mortal Kombat," "Doom" and "Fear Effect". I am familiar only with Doom, not much story there.

Can any one sum up the other 3?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:06 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

They're all senselessly violent. Where the hell were the lawyers in this? Gah... it's just like taking a statistical poll of the New York Yankees and declaring in all honestly '100% of all surveyed americans play professional baseball!'

So if I went there with copies of Bubble Bobble, Monopoly, and Barbie Dress up could I get the judge to declare that computer games today contain no violence?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:24 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

It is not just the violence. It is the lack of creative expression. To be protected under the first amendment it seems creativity or personal opinion must be expressed.

In the judges opinion the games he sampled lacked both.

Hmmm, no personal opinion in Doom...doesn't "Xenophobia is good" count?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:00 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That's what I meant by 'senseless' violence. 'Sensible' violence in the context of a computer game is violence that serves to move a story forward (like a war movie) or violence with consquence.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:25 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Yeah, IDSA sucks. I read the entire opinion (advantages of being a government lawyer=access to law reporting services). Thankfully, it's only an order denying summary judgment for IDSA, so at the trial these barely competent boobs will be able to screw up for real. At least Judge Aterton in Connecticut (who ruled on the Wilson v. Midway case) stated that video games are protected speech. But that was an order dismissing the case, so it has little precedential value.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:34 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

@ButtOfMalmsey: I like hear lawyer language!
However ISDA is growing powerfull day after day... the evel reveals himself! Get ready to fight!
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:50 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

i like The Resident of Evil Creek. Never heard of it, and can only assume he means Resident Evil. How sad. Also, in the opinion, Limbaugh discusses how the ESRB ratings provide the very language that the ordinance uses to define which games cannot be sold to minors. Gee, I wonder how he figured that out. And IDSA actually tried to deny that these descriptions were precise enough to weed out games that are unsuitable for minors. Something like circular reasoning.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Fri May 10, 2002 5:06 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by ButtOfMalmsey
i like The Resident of Evil Creek. Never heard of it, and can only assume he means Resident Evil. How sad. Also, in the opinion, Limbaugh discusses how the ESRB ratings provide the very language that the ordinance uses to define which games cannot be sold to minors. Gee, I wonder how he figured that out. And IDSA actually tried to deny that these descriptions were precise enough to weed out games that are unsuitable for minors. Something like circular reasoning.

I love it Duh, then why post warnings if you don't want them used.
But wait!
This has been done before! What about the warning labels on the sides of cigarette packages?
Post Fri May 10, 2002 5:41 pm