Usergroups
How do I get Gothic to run on windows XP
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
the don
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just know know. I think its a defective copy of the game. I ordered it off eb games online because no stores had it here. Wonder if it can be returned or replaced?
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:05 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I donīt know how this is handled in the US.
Good luck.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:29 am
the don
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok I've come to the conclusion that it isn't a defective copy of the game. It has to be my computer. I donwloaded the demo and it did the exact same thing. Hmmm. I wouldn't have the slightest clue.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:17 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

This is going to be a real tough one since you aren't good at troubleshooting computer problems yourself. I would suggest you find someone local who does know software and how to troubleshoot. It sounds like you have something severely hoses in your OS - although it still could be hardware oriented.

First, try running Gothic from the start menu rather than the desktop icon - they can sometimes get fouled.

Next, remove your sound card from your machine (making sure you also remove it thoroughly from the device manager) and try to load the game. If the game loads, then the problem is likely to be the sound card or it's drivers interfering.

If one of those doesn't solve the problem, I would suggest a reload of WinXP - depending upon how it got loaded that could also be the problem. This is a big one, of course, but sometimes with Windows that is what must be done.

I run XP and can tell you (as can many others here) that Gothic DOES run just fine under this OS - good luck.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:04 pm
the don
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok that sounds like what I need to do but...when you say remove my sound card do you mean physiclly remove it by opening up my computer? And how do I removie it with a device manager? I'm nearly computer illiterate as you can see but I'll wait and see if I need to reinstall XP, but as a last resort.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:53 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-03-28 13:53, the don wrote:
Ok that sounds like what I need to do but...when you say remove my sound card do you mean physiclly remove it by opening up my computer?

To answer this question we need to know what soundcard you have. If itīs a *card* youīll have to remove it and uninstall the drivers. Joey can explain you all the details, his system is a lot closer to yours than mine.

If you have something like AC97 sound then itīs onboard and has to be disabled in the BIOS of your mainboard.

So you should definetely look in the device manager or run this DXDiag.exe program to find out the details about your soundcard.
You can let the windows explorer search for dxdiag.exe.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:14 pm
the don
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok so does this mean I won't have any sound at all?
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:45 pm
the don
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok in DXDiag.exe it says on the sound tab:

Device
Name: VIA Audio (WAVE)
Device Ip:
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM

Driver:
Name: ac97via.sys
Version: 5.10.00.3521 (English)
Signed: Yes
Other Files:
Provider: Microsoft

Then theres a music tab and it has some different things in the music ports section. Hope this is what ya'll mean.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:49 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Exactly. You have a AMD mainboard with a Via chipset. Your AC97 sound is integrated in this chipset.

How old are your sound drivers (or how old is your XP installation)?

You are right, we are talking about disabling sound to find out if the sound chip is causing the trouble.

Do you know what mainboard you have in your machine? The invoice and the manual might be helpful to get this info.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-03-28 20:52 ]
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:25 pm
the don
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well I'd like to think ya'll very much for helping me, I just got finished playing a round of Gothic! Im sorry for all the trouble ect I wouldn't have figured I needed to reinstall XP but I'm glad you pointed it out. Well Thanks again for the help and if you'll excuse me I'm gonna get back to playing it.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:45 pm

Mine Doesn't even install

I uninstalled Gothic then I tried to reinstall but ended up with cyclic problems is this the cd or xp???
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:53 pm

Ludi

I have the same problem with gta3 bzut only with the shortcut on the desktop not with the hole game!
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:27 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2