Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How am I supposed to get the stolen Idol??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

How am I supposed to get the stolen Idol??

I have eight questions... Please be specific...

I was sent to the Goblin city to get the stolen Idol for the Troll King so that he would agree to help the Humans uncover a path where it was caved-in. Am I supposed to kill all the Goblins? The kings door is locked. There are three or four other locked doors as well. I'm sure the Goblin's guarding these doors have the keys on them. Do I kill them? Or is there another way? I need instructions for getting the Idol.

I visited the bank in the Human city. I don't quite understand how the bank works. I bought one gold bar and three Goblin mining shares. What is the sense and/or advantages of buying these things? The shares are worth 58 gold to the bank owner. I think I paid 114 gold for each share. How do I profit from this? And how do I profit from buying gold bars?

I couldn't help making a note of the bank owners wealth. I spent an hour trying to figure out a way of getting in his house or inside the cage where the gold and treasure is stored. I tried using levitate. Is there a way inside his house, or a way inside the cage so I can steal the treasure?

I have obtained a few "unidentified" objects. One is a ring, the other is a piece of armor. How do I identify these items? And will the magic on them work only after I've identified them?

I discovered a secret pathway in the wall of the Human City. I didn't find anything in this hallway, it just lead to the other side. Its the hallway you have to push in a stone block to open.

I discovered a switch hidden in the corner of someone's house. It appears to be a steal switch. The house is one with a picture mounted in the wall, just above the chair. What does the switch do? I hear something opening or moving when I switch it, but I couldn't find what.

The Gem Dealer in the Human City doesn't seem to be working anymore. I find him in his house now, he says to come back during working hours. When are working hours? Is there a button I can push to determine what time of day it is?

I have obtained a shovel and a fishing pole. How do I use these items? Where can I use these items?

Gothic's Loyal City Guard, SirDeity
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:47 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Three more questions... I realize I'm up to eleven now. Just answer the ones you know, please and thank you....

Is Wine a bad thing to drink? What will it do to you if you drink to much? Will it effect you later on in this game? What are power-ups?

Do you have to eat food? What will happen if you starve yourself and only eat when injured to heal yourself?

How do you use the Key Ring? I have one, but haven't figured out how to use it yet. (The manual is extremely lacking in detail.) I tried using it on a few locked doors, didn't work. Please provide instructions for proper usage.

Gothic's Loyal City Guard, SirDeity
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:02 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

SPOILERS AHEAD.

Don't kill the goblins.
In the bedroom up the stairs from the throne room there is a note from the kings physician saying he can't have wine as he gets sick. Put wine in the dough the cook is using to make the sweets for the king and he will go to the toilet and then you can speak to him and search his throne room. (he will go to the toilet in the room above the stairs where the note is, there is a note on the bedside table and one under the bed). The king will give you permission to look in the treasure room thing for the idol. Do not steal anything in the treasure room- only take the idol.

I don't know about the profits from the goblin mining shares sorry. Hopefully someone else will help you with that.

You need to be good enough to pickpocket the owners keys or pick the lock on the bank cages.

Your object knowledge needs to be high enough to identify items. I don't think there is any way around this sorry.

Don't know about the switch sorry. I found one in Alicia's house (the bank owners fiance) but couldn't figure out what it did- I assume it has something to do with the bank.

Sorry I can't be much help.

The hosted Arx site has more information on the bank under hints and tips.

Good luck.

P.S To use the key ring, double click on the key and they click on the key ring. The keys will automatically be added on the ring and then you just use the key ring like a key so it checks all keys at once.

P.S.S You get drunk if you drink too much. As in real life- your co-ordination is affected. It is quite funny- but don't do it before a big battle or you'll be sorry.

Don't know about food for sure- I think I saw someone once say would could starve to death and it had an affect on your combat skills- but I don't know for sure. Sorry again. I thought I'd just post the little I knew to get you started with the king.

I hope someone else can fill in all the blanks for you.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:04 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Oh! Its just a key "holder" then. Thank you very much for your quick but extensive post. It is most helpful. I hope others can help me in the areas you could not. Thank you for the tips you provided, I'll load the game and get my Idol now.

Gothic's Loyal City Guard, SirDeity.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:46 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Come on folks. Give me your input! Kayla left some questions for you to answer!
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:50 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I got into the treasure room. I don't see the Idol anywhere. There is a chest that is locked. I can't lock-pick it. How do I get the Idol? Is it even inside the treasure room? I still need instructions on how to get it.

Also, I still wonder what the Goblin shares are for, and what the gold bars are for at the bank. Profits? Benefits? Sense?

In the Kings thrown I noticed a switch on the wall. There are numbers requiring the correct combination to make the switch work. What is the combination? Or am I supposed to solve that later? Hints?
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:25 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

The key for that chest belongs to Atok (sp?), so you should find it somewhere in the goblin's guards quarters under a pillow.

If you buy the shares before you solve the Troll Idol quest (which you obviously have), the value increases after it's solved because the trolls go back to work from their strike.

Last edited by Dhruin on Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:30 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Does the value continue to rise? Or is there only sense in purchasing shares before the Idol quest? Do you make more of a profit on the individual share, depending on how many shares you own? Does the value increase to a greater amounth than you paid for the shares? Profits?
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:33 pm
Dhruin

AFAIK the value only increases because the strike is resolved - so you can sell them after this is completed. You should make a profit.

As per Kayla's post there's a piece of paper under the bed in the King's bedroom (where you found the note about the wine), which gives the combination for the switches.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:36 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Oh silly me. Sorry. I need to make a habit of reading stuff. I picked up the papers and didn't bother reading them. My bad.

I got the Idol. Thank you

I took the rest of the stuff out of the treasury. Is that okay? The Goblin that stole the Troll Idol killed the Goblin Lord guarding the treasury. Is it okay for me to take everything out of the treasury and sell it now?
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:18 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

- It's perfectly fine to steal the rest of the room once you got the idol.

- The secret area in Arx (the human city) might come in handy later. I won't mention to much about it not to spoil the rest

- If it is indeed the one in Alicia's house, it opens a gate in someone else's house (can't recall his name right now).

-There is no use in buying ingots from the bank. He's the only one who'll buy some from you though. That or gold ore.

- Were you ever able to trade with the Gem dealer? I know he wouldn't trade with me until I sold him a gem (use the gem on him).

- I never tried using a fishing pole as I have way too much food anyway so I don't know. As for the shovel, Oliver's riddle uses it and I don't think anything else does.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:00 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Yes, the jeweler was open the first time I visited. I was able to sell and buy gems. After that, he left the shop and is now at his home. I read on another forum that he will return to his shop once I finnish the Idol quest.

I was hoping I could use the shovel in random areas covered by dirt, to dig up random sellable items.

I was curious how to use the fishing pole, so that if I'm ever low on cash I could sell the fish for gold.

New Question: I went in the Goblin King's secret layer, hit the switch and it opened a secret passage leading to a vault with a large sum of gold, gems and other treasures. Is it safe for my to attempt stealing these items? If I don't get caught?
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:18 am
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by SirDiety
I was hoping I could use the shovel in random areas covered by dirt, to dig up random sellable items.

Your expectations on the game's interactivity are a little high . Although the shovel won't make you money, the pickaxe will. Use it to get gems off the walls in the troll mines, crystal caves and other areas. Money shouldn't be too much of an issue as you go along, though. You may not have huge excesses but you should have enough if you collect everything.

You can take the stuff from the Throne room's hidden area.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:41 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ah, nice and helpful post. I also had problem with idol for Troll king. I was able to (myself) give king vine and I got permision to enter new areas, but I was not able to alocate idol or to pickup chest. I hope I will find key somewhere in quaters.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:18 pm
Vistralan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

mining shares if bought before you give the trolls back the idol will increase in value after the trolls go back to work (once you give the idol to the troll king) so if you buy them all your first trip then sell them after the troll strike is over you will have a good bit of cash ( I forget the actual amount, but it was good enough to get some better armor and weapon early on in the game

The gem dealer will come and go depending on what part of the game you are at

to get the idol talk to the goblin lord that is guarding the door in the dark room just past the gate, use a bottle of wine on the dough in the kitchen, wait for the king to run out of the thrown room, follow him to the crapper talk to him, then enter the barricks and talk w/ the disgruntled goblin, when the disgruntled goblin leaves the room look under his pillow and take the key, walk ovr to the goblin lord guarding the door just past the gate he will let you in the reserve use a disable trap scroll (found in the kings bedroom) then use the key on the chest...poof you now have the idol and must fight the disgruntled goblin to leave ( loot the room now....but not before)

the keyring is used by doubleclicking the key, then clicking on the key ring....never throw away a key!

hope some of that helps
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:59 am