Everyone should play through as a Mage at least once
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Everyone should play through as a Mage at least once

Just a suggestion. I have found that more plot points and back story are revealed when you choose this path. Also, there is a bit more character planning involved because there a finite number of runes available and you have to decide which spells are most important for you.

Anyway, just a comment...
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:00 pm
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

How many times have you completed the game so far?
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:59 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by -Jekyll
How many times have you completed the game so far?

Just twice: As a Paladin, then a DragonHunter. I am just now entering Chapter 6 as a Mage but I don't think I'll finish up cause it's all the same till the end I think. I'll take a break from G2 for a while I guess.

I made the Mage comment because I found the Mage storyline very different from the other 2 -- though there are enough differences in all of them to warrant 3 play thorughs (at least through chapter 5 that is)
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:17 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah i agree everyone should play through as a mage at least once
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:40 am
Squeek
Village Leader
Village Leader

I disagree

Sorry, but I don't agree. I enjoyed the middle game a lot as a mage, but I stopped enjoying it at about chapter 6.

There just weren't enough rune stones. After a while it stopped being fun.

And for some reason I was also unable to create runes for any of the sixth-circle spells. Everything worked fine for the first five circles, but no dice for any of the sixth. I expect those were probably the coolest spells too.

I loved Gothic 1, and it was definitely worth it to invest your valuable Skill Points toward learning to use magic. Not so with Gothic 2. Well, not in my opinion, anyway.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:08 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i agree that there arent enough runestones... but i cant help but thinking that if i look around had enough ill find a huge stash of them just laying there
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:24 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i had for all those spells runestones but i couldent forge all them cos there was some kind of bug i think some i could do some not ( i had everything what the spell needed)
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:20 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Strange. I had no problem making 6th circle runes, though I admit that the lack of rune stones is a bit frustrating when you reach the end. I wish I had saved a few for some the 6th level's that I *did* want.

Anyway, for those of you that were having problems making 6th circle runes: Did you know that you had to have a spell scroll on you of the rune you were trying to make? For example, if you wanted to make "Awaken Golem" : You need a blank runestone, the heart of stone golem, AND the "Awaken Golem" spell scroll.

When I first started playing as a mage and was trying to make runes, I was confused because I couldn't make a certain 1st ciricle rune, but I had successfully done a prevoius one. I knew I had all the ingredients and a blank runestone. Then I reread the instructions the recalled that you actually have to have a spell scroll of the spell in question in addition to the ingredients and the rune.

I just *happened* to have spell scrolls in my inventory for the other runes I had made because they were fairly easy to find. I never made a concious effort to get them. So I did not notice that they were actually being used to make runes until I failed to make one for some reason.

So I'm just double checking that you guys realize that you must have a spell scroll *plus* the ingredients. You don't find very many 6th level spell scrolls through your normal adventuring so you are forced to purchase most of them (maybe even all of them). It is easy to forget this is a requirement because you find several spell scrolls through your normal adventuring. This means that they just "happen" to be in your inventory when you're making a rune and you may not be aware that they are actually key ingredients.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:21 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I had problems making 6th Circle runes, as well. I think that Breath of Death allowed either Coal or a Black Pearl to be used, so when my Black Pearl was consumed to make a different spell, I couldn't make Breath of Death with Coal. Marvin fixed it, though.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:04 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

I had a bit of a problem with the 6th circle as well. The first rune wouldn't show p. Once I learnt a second sell the previous one showed up as well. I liked the way that there was a limited number of runestones. You had to decide which you would be using the most (just as well you didn't have to make the teleportation runes.) Did anyone make the healing runes? I didn't see the point in them.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:12 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i dont think anyone wasted their precious runestones to make healing runes
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:18 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

err why not healing runes were the most important runes cos if u runned out of ur healing potions u could use allways mana to heal urself and it healed pretty fast also u didnt need to find that potion and drink it and then close ur inventory u could do it fast example press 4 and cast the spell and u were allready full of health . Btw i didnt know that u needed a scroll of that spell what u wanted to forge thanks for the info man gonna try to finish the game again now with mage heheh
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:10 pm
wk
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I found a healing rune and used it a lot just like Daedelus says. When your hits points are high it takes about 30 pieces of meat to restore your health and it can get a bit tedious.

Later in the game, I had Paladin armour and strength 133 as I kept finding Dragonroots on Orc Warriors so did not need to heal myself so much.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:19 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

dragonroot adds to str right?
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:39 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup +1 but after u do from that thing a potion it will be +5 so i better would do potions of them
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:24 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next