ARRGH! Stupid wizard!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Muds Dog
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ARRGH! Stupid wizard!

I haven't had Morrowind too long, so I jumped onto doing quests. (I'm an imperial thief) I went to get the cube from Arkanthgard(sp?) and on the bridge there appears to be a big bad necromancer/wizard I have to kill.

I tried it with the dagger you get at the beggining of the game. He killed me.

I went back, got the only other weapon I could find (besides an iron spear which was about the same as begggining dagger), an iron hammer. Run all the way back. Try at him a few times again, he still kills me.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:08 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: ARRGH! Stupid wizard!

quote:
Originally posted by Muds Dog
....he still kills me.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If you still at level 1 then off course you always get slaughtered, even by mudcrabs.

It is possible to defeat him at level 1 but it will be very difficult. My female Breton character defeated him at lvl 1 with ring of fireball (casting from afar) and summoning an ancestor ghost. You also can wait (do other quests, search for $ to buy spells, look up for magical rings/items) or until higher lvl before kick his butts.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:04 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, What He Said... ;)

You shouldn't be jumping into the main quest at level one - you'll get beaten down horribly and just get frustrated with it all. There's plenty of time for following the main quest later - it's not going to go anywhere without you.

For the first few levels I'd personally recommend you hang around the Bitter Coast region for a while and fight Mud Crabs, Rats and Kwama Foragers to get some experience of the world. Hang around in Balmora too - you should get to know this town well as you'll be spending a lot of time here! Raise some cash, go adventuring a little and get to know the land. After you've gone up a few levels, been through a few Ancestral Tombs, learnt how to make potions, found a few magical items and upgraded your weapons and armour, you'll be in a much better position to start the main quest.

Make sure you tailor your weapons and armour to your skills! No good running around with a dagger if you're only skilled in axes; no good clanking around in plate mail if you'd be better off in Nordic Fur. The first few levels are all about learning the system - knowing what weapons to use and what armour to wear, when to back away from a fight and when to grit your teeth and keep swinging!

Take your time over this game - if you rush through it you'll miss it all.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:24 pm
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

HAHAHAH. are you guys serious? He kills you???? With my old wood elf lvl 1(50 marksman) archer, I killed him in one shot from behind a wagon!
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:24 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, well, you're special... ;)

50 Marksman is a pretty good level to start at - most people won't get 50 skill in their main weapon for quite a few levels.

Regardless of your skill, I'd still recommend getting to know the land a bit more before starting the main quest - no point learning history without knowing the present. Anyway, things are a lot easier (and much more fun) with a decent sword and a few potions and scrolls.
Post Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:23 am