FilePlanet: New "Hit Points" Incentive for Subscri
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

FilePlanet: New "Hit Points" Incentive for Subscri

This just in from <a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/" target="_blank">FilePlanet</a>...in addition to all of the other <a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/fpps/exclusives.shtml" target="_blank">"exclusives"</a> offered to FilePlanet subscribers, an additional new incentive is now in the offering...<a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/subscribe/index_hitpoints.aspx" target="_blank">"hit points"</a>... <br> <br><blockquote><em> HitPoints is the new rewards program for IGN/GameSpy subscribers. Subscribe to FilePlanet or Founders' Club Annual subscriptions and you can earn up to 3000 HitPoints! That's enough for 5 or 6 great games, including Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Civilization III: Gold Edition and Raven Shield! Learn more about how you can earn and spend HitPoints. </em></blockquote> <br> <br>I should point out that to get the 3000 hit points...you must subscribe to their Founders Club/IGN Insider incentive program for 2 years... <br> <br>Hmmm...come to think of it, my own Founder's Club subscription is about due for renewal...
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:59 pm
Guestofferson

You really are a ***** for promoting Fileplanet. What do they pay you?
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:01 pm

Exitium@RPGcodex

I agree with Guestofferson here. That was weak. Also one suggestion: cut out those damn periods.
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:02 pm

Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

I gather you "gentlemen" were unaware that none of the RPGDot staff gets any sort of renumeration...either monetarily, or otherwise, for our work.

And as to my writing style - that is merely an opinion...and I daresay you know what they say about opinions:-)
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:29 pm

Sorry, Kristophe, but using "..." is just a cop-out for using proper punctuation. And whether or not you get paid doesn't excuse you from poor grammar and pimping ads in the story section.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:18 am

Gotta throw my own 2 cents in here to say i dont think theirs any place for post's advertising fileplant or gamespot promo's on rpgdot. Also the 50's radio announcer style on your news posts does get old.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:41 am

Whatever. As with so many things from File Planet this is a buggy piece of crud - 2 year subsciption here and a whopping 0 points. Not much incentive to sign up... again... at least I've found ways to bypass their godawful dl manager and use my own...
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:05 am

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

While not taking sides in this discussion; I really couldn't care less about Fileplanet, could I at least suggest that if 'guests' want to criticise the staff here at rpgdot, that you at least register as members. It's very convenient to hide behind 'guest'. Strange that none of our registered members thought fit to post criticism. Perhaps they show a little more respect to a small group of very hard working volunteers.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:10 am

Oh, great. Now we need to register to criticize some aspect of the site.... Besides, it's not like we are the first, nor the second, nor the third, nor the fourth, etc people to criticize Kristophe's style. Maybe he's one of the staff from Jolt who got reassigned here (I can see why they don't want him there...), but all it's doing is hurting RPGDot's credibility. If you don't want to take criticism from guests, then disable the guest posting function.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:26 pm

Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

*chuckles* Hmmm...a transplanted Jolt staff member?? I'm complimented.

Actually...my past editorial experience is nil, as RPGDot is my first experience with writing/reporting for the public.

As to my writing style - if "anonymous" readers don't appreciate my style...they really are not being forced to read any of my news submissions, etc...just as, quite frankly, I generally ignore their forum "criticisms".

I won't comment on the courage, or credibility (in my book) of "anonymous" critics...
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:06 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Hi,

Just wanted to ad my two cents,
- I think reporting about a new commercial programme or feature could very well be considered 'news'. If this is 'pimping'*, we are pimping rpg's all the time. ... Oh? Are we?
- Commenting as a guest has the disadvantage that no one can tell how many people are actually making comments. I tend to take anonymous comments less serious.
- Somehow this reminds me of the continuous hate mail & comments I get every time i report on uxo or ou on ultimadot. Some people just don’t understand that bringing news, means bringing all the news, weater they like it or not.
- Kristophe, I think you're doing a great job; especially on Adventuredot. You got me as a regular visitor. I like you’re style and you’re English is sure better than mine (and prob of most other Europeans around).

Yours,

Parc

* Edited:
The word Pimping was acualy uses in this post.
Alias Parcival Dragon -=UDIC=-
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:44 pm
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, I don't mind his style. And griping as a Guest is pretty cowardly. If you don't bother to register why should your opinion matter to the people here?

I do think the fileplanet promo plug was misplaced. I mean this is RPGDOT, correct?

But on the other hand if he hadn't posted it I wouldn't get to ask Guest #3 exactly how he managed to get around fileplanet's dl manager and use his own. I can use GetRight on some places that try to force their own dl manager on you...but can't get past FilePlanet's.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:48 pm

Sorry to side track the topic slightly... #3 back again by request
As for the "Guest" thingie - I have registered, but can't for the love of Microsoft remember the nick/pass... too lazy so far to re-register... I'll get 'round to it.

Fileplanets dl-manager, Majnun... most files can be thrown at your own manager when you get the "Click here to begin your download" popup, by simply dragging the link to your dl manager . Works for me with Download Accelerator Plus.

But then again, why would anyone want to do that??? I mean - 1 dl at a tiime in a popup that if accidentally active will respond to browsing and loose the dl, poor speed (my FilePlanet average 100kb/sec, DAP 250kb/sec) - wow. I just love being annoyed by shoddy programming/ideas... really makes the rest of the world seem brighter
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:35 am