View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Lady Rae
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Questions

1. Is there a time limit on quests?

2. When it comes to use, does it matter where a skill is located?
(i.e. Does a Long Blade at 30 under Major Skill provide the same benefit as a Long Blade at 30 under Miscellaneous Skill - I'm not talking about advancing the skill or raising in level, just about the effectiveness of the skill.)

3. Is an Imperial Blade better than Steel? Or is Imperial just a style and not a hardness like Ebony or Orc?

4. In your opinion, what are the most important skills? (The character I'm trying to create will be able to use combat, magic and stealth. Obviously I need a weapon, an armor, Destruction, Alchemy, Security and Stealth - any other suggestions?)

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:38 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

1. No (at least usually not, maybe there are limited quests, but then it will be in you journal specificaly given)

2. It should be same, but leveling is faster in major than in minor skills

3. It depends on weapon stats (damage, endurance)

4. I do not know.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 8:09 pm
IncendiaryLemon

some people have had mixed feeling about alchemy... I haven't used it. Do not use Athletics or Acrobatics in a major minor slot. They go up quite nicely on their own.

Primarly create a character ... mess around with him for an hour or two an figure out if you've gotten it right. If not go back again with something new.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:21 pm

Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

I would say there is an advantage in using athletics in a major/minor role, but I dare say we're all still learning and in any event the important thing is to decide the sort of character you want to play and set the skills accordingly. I would, however, advise against trying to be a jack of all trades. Be a fighter who can cast a few spells, or a mage who can fight a bit etc, but don't try to be a sorceror/warrior/thief or you'll spread your talents too thinly and get all manner of conflicts of interest between your guilds.

The advantage in my view is that running speed is directly related to your athletics skill, and most people find the slow movement in the game a real headache. Thus, the higher you can get your running skill the better as the faster you will move, so it pays to have it in a skill category where you are raising it quicker. Remember, major skills level faster than minor ones which level faster than miscellaneous ones. Plus, the more athletics goes up courtesy of your constant running around the more it will contribute to your overall levelling so you will get bonus points in speed which is the governing attribute for athletics. It'll also benefit your swimming of course, not that I've done any yet!

I'm unsure about alchemy, sounds an underused skill to me (echoes of EverQuest), but perhaps there are some druids out there who will testify to its uberness.

As for your other points, I agree with what's been said .
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:48 pm
Wabbi+

Alchemy: It's fun, it's interesting. It's a decent moneymaker and moneysaver. I don't know if it's uber, but it's very handy - I know the potions I make are way better and more useful that the ones at the store. Like for instance - I make a lot of restore fatigue potions. I never bought them because the store bought ones last for 5 seconds of restoring. But mine (45 in alchemy, good tools) last for 60 seconds of fast regenating fatigue. So I drink one, then jump and run around and cast spells in combat. Same with the health ones. So I wouldn't say alchemy is necessary to any character, but I would say that you're missing out on a very interesting part of the game if you don't try it sometime.

I think if you want to be a Marksman or an Alchemist you might as well just put it in major skills, or pay to train up to 30+ asap.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 10:18 pm

LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

I'd agree with alchemy - the most usefull skill for any character. Endless money, magic, fatigue & health are just few of the benefits.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:17 pm
Lady Rae
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for all the help. It really helps. I think I'll go with a fighter who can cast a couple of spells and maybe open a lock here and there.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:38 pm