Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Bugs etc
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Plus I wasn't reffering to the single game-stopping bugs, which are quite frankly pathetic, but the genaral poor quality of the game. Oh and the AI is a joke too.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:22 pm

DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

If you dont read the manual or read what the characters say to you, you will lose out a bit, i found the AI quite good the bigger monsters will run behind you etc when u fight em or block your sword swings.. Yeah it seemed fine to me
Post Sat Dec 15, 2001 7:40 pm

Well I got the crash to desktop rune and nobody will buy it! Crashes happen faster than a demolition derby. Maybe if you are lucky and the game doesn't crash all the time or hang up...etc. I have had things happen like selecting a spell by number and it picks the wrong spell. If you are defending all of this then 'I got some more swampweed here.......'

As far as story, well it is average at best for an RPG. Background sound/music and voice acting is boring. It LOOKS like alot of things went unfinished. The manual sucks. Most of the spells are lame and the spell effects, where are the spell effects?

I have played all of the eidos, black isle, activision, GoD and interplay games. I have never had as many problems as with this game. The sheer number of people complaining shows that the game was not QA'd properly.

The graphics -- they are no better than the original System Shock and that's about 5-6 years old. Most people have no mouse support. The combat system is hokey. The best thing is the inventory, but where are the quick slots for potions etc. While we are sorting through to get something we are getting hacked to pieces.

There are also loading and unloading bugs which were not mentioned. How many games have you played where crashes to the desktop corrupt your registry files?

I'm glad I only paid $20 on Ebay.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:14 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Anonymous
---------

Hm.

Well.

I dont believe you.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:05 am

Well, here's my 2 cents (bugs I encountered):

- occasionaly stuttering sound
- winches problem
- character lock up (busy loop) when interrupting animation script (ie. clicking potions in inventory too fast)
- character lockup when using an item the character is not supposed to use
- character getting stuck in the environment
- bloodfly getting caught under water, cannot break surface (surface acts as ceiling)
- assertion(?) errors (gothic error dialogs)
- getting kicked to desktop without error dialog
- vibrating camera effect (most notably under water)
- NPCs getting stuck in scripted actions
- summoned creatures refusing to leave a given location (roofs in OC for example)
- dramatic frame rate drops
- crashes when leaving areas
- and whatever I forgot because we learn to work around things and forget about them.
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:44 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

- Occasionaly stuttering sound

Drivers

- Winches problem

True.
One of the confirmed critical bugs.

- Character lock up (busy loop) when interrupting animation script
(ie. clicking potions in inventory too fast)

True. Only happens in combat.

- Character lockup when using an item the character is not supposed to use

What do you use?

- Character getting stuck in the environment

Happens in all 3d games. When we will see a working collision-detection, this problem will be all gone, but it takes to much power to make it work.

- Bloodfly getting caught under water, cannot break surface
(surface acts as ceiling)

True. =)
So that is a bug? Added it to my bug-list.

- assertion(?) errors (gothic error dialogs)

When?

- getting kicked to desktop without error dialog

When?

- vibrating camera effect (most notably under water)

Never seen.

- NPCs getting stuck in scripted actions

Rarely, the AI that brings a NPC from one place to another (Baal Pervez, Mordrag, Dusty) seems to be very well programmed... I was surprised that it worked so well, and had espected lots of more bugs involving that.

- summoned creatures refusing to leave a given location (roofs in OC for example)

Never tried summoning.

- dramatic frame rate drops

Drivers

- crashes when leaving areas

Happened once for me, when I ran outside from the temple with the Marvin Script activated.

- and whatever I forgot because we learn to work around things and forget about them.

I have gathered a list of confirmed bugs in my FAQ.

So far there is only three critical problems:
* Winches get stuck bug
* Skeleton Summoning Mega-Crash bug
* Gorn starts to attack you in the Free Mine

The rest is minor. Overall, you can see that the game is up to 1.08j when it first got released to USA... The germans where used as 'bug-testers'.
Compared to the list of bugs that was fixed in the first update of for example Fallout 2 or Baldurs Gate 2, theese are very few...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 3:28 pm

You mean the problems are minor because you do not experience them?

If Gothic were a console game I would understand that opinion, but as it is (a PC game) our mileage may vary depending on our system.
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 4:09 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Anonymous
---------

Minor
= The NPC got stucked in a 3d object, stuttered around a bit and then came loose

Major
= The plot-critical NPC falled through a 'hole' in the 3d enviroment, and killed himself, so now I cannot finish the game.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 2:06 am
Pwrslm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Occasional Stuttering is NOT a driver issue. Ive got the newest driver all the way around and I still get severe stutters every time. This game is unplayable.

I dont know about anyone else, but smart alec making out that this game has no bugs are in reality one of santas' dwarves that cant find the unemployment line. For DX compatible sound cards to have this issue posted multiple times it indicates the programming was too ambitious for the recommended stats listed by the publisher for the developer.

Bottom line, if you know what the problem is post the solution, not this juvenile BS.
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:29 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I haven't noticed any 'reportable' bugs. For a RPG this size I think that is saying a lot. Wizardry 8 wasn't even in the local stores here before I noticed they had a patch out. Plus, Gothic is a few bucks cheaper than most RPG's.
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:49 pm

I've run into bugs here and there. Nothing major, and no worse than just about every other PC game out there. Especially the newer ones.

I think the point is that the majority of us are able to play the game alright. And yeah it sucks to spend money on something and have it not work properly, but that's just how it goes. It is impossible to test on every configuration out there. So if you want to play a game that's been designed for your particular system, get a console. Otherwise this is the sort of crap you have to put up with.

If I were you I'd try and make it work, and figure out what's causing the problem. Otherwise you'll be missing out on a really great experience

-Jon
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 9:40 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Pwrslm
------
Badly configurated Bios and system Setup then.

Mostly theese things happens to 'odd' hardware, like ATI Graphiccards and non soundblaster soundcards. Thoose that follow the mainstream hardware/software usually avoid problems for most games.

I personally had zero problems with Pool of Radiance 2 (except the fact that the game sucked) when it came to crashes/hardware problems... Perhaps due the fact that I have selected only mainstream hardware.

Btw, GeForce MX is not produced for gaming. Its produced for office applications. The performance is scaled down half compared to a normal GeForce GTS.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 1:55 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2001-12-22 19:55, JemyM wrote:

Mostly theese things happens to 'odd' hardware, like [...] non soundblaster soundcards.

Just the opposite! Especially SB cards of the Live! series are well known to cause a lot of trouble. Remember the things MSI found out during this trouble with the Via Southbridge bug?
I changed from SBLive to Terratec X-Fire 1024, a card of the same category, and I donīt have to think for a second to decide which card is more reliable. Even under Dos (==> BaK) the Terratec is more compatible.
The problem most Soundcard manufacturers have is crappy driver support. Only Philips seemed to improve upon this in the last few weeks.

Nevertheless I support your main point. Staying inside the mainstream is a good idea.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 2:28 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Creative's products are mostly tested & supported.
If they do not work at once, you are guaranteed to have a patch within a month due to their company policy.

VIA, on the other hand, are mentioned in 99 supportboards out of 100...
Lucky for VIA that there are no alternative.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 4:47 am

I've got to mention this because I can't believe others have not. If you get knocked out, let them take half your ore (as they will) then knock them out. You will find your ore has been doubled on their body. I'm level 8 and I have over 10,000 ore. Kind of a bummer but I can't resist picking it up.
T
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 6:42 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next