FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How to sell for ore???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

UH, I have things to sell.
But there are no "shops" in the game, just people who "might" buy your items.
OKAY, so I go to one guy to sell my stuff, but how do I actually get the ore?

I AM assuming, that I go to the left item list (his item list) and put in how much ore I want from his inventory, then match it it's value with the items in my inventory, I THIS correct?
If so, okay, then fine.
But it also sucks, since the two different shop dudes I went to, one only had 200 ore, the other had 50 only. Kinda lame considering some rather inexpensive things (like a map or some crappy weapon) can cost 50 ore or 100 ore.

I guess I'm going to have the play the game as a murderer, going around killing people just to get the money I need.
ALSO, how do I put out a torch I've lit.
SO FAR, I can only do it if I jump into a river or something, the game won't let me dowse it anywhere else, I can't walk up to a barrel of water and put it out, for example. I can only jump in a river or drop the item, when I pick the torch back up, it automatically goes into my hand (the only way to drop it, is to draw your weapon, that is gay).

Also, the game says press "(whichever key)" to sneak. I press it. Nothing happens.
WTF?
Do I have to learn how to sneak?
IF so, then that also sucks.
HEY, I also noticed that I can't DUCK in this game.
Do I need to have someone teach me that also?
Where do I go to learn how to wipe my own ass in the game?

Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:25 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

UH, I have things to sell.
But there are no "shops" in the game, just people who "might" buy your items.
OKAY, so I go to one guy to sell my stuff, but how do I actually get the ore?

I AM assuming, that I go to the left item list (his item list) and put in how much ore I want from his inventory, then match it it's value with the items in my inventory, I THIS correct?
If so, okay, then fine.
But it also sucks, since the two different shop dudes I went to, one only had 200 ore, the other had 50 only. Kinda lame considering some rather inexpensive things (like a map or some crappy weapon) can cost 50 ore or 100 ore.

I guess I'm going to have the play the game as a murderer, going around killing people just to get the money I need.

What for do you need ore.
I will tell it to you:
throught all game you will need just 200 or 300 ore for people who want to teach you something for exp. points and ore.
In shops you do not need ore. Barter is economical system under barriere. F. e. 10 swords for very good bow. Change things for things.
quote:

ALSO, how do I put out a torch I've lit.
SO FAR, I can only do it if I jump into a river or something, the game won't let me dowse it anywhere else, I can't walk up to a barrel of water and put it out, for example. I can only jump in a river or drop the item, when I pick the torch back up, it automatically goes into my hand (the only way to drop it, is to draw your weapon, that is gay).

To drop an item, press the Left Control (Use) + down.
quote:

Also, the game says press "(whichever key)" to sneak. I press it. Nothing happens.
WTF?
Do I have to learn how to sneak?
IF so, then that also sucks.

yes, you have to (from Fingers)
quote:

HEY,
I also noticed that I can't DUCK in this game.

no, you cant
quote:

Do I need to have someone teach me that also?

no, you can not learn it
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:40 am
Darian
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yes that's how you trade with a merchant. You can move 10 or 100 things at a time. Use both mouse buttons with the left / right arrow keys, or ctralt arrows. ctrshift moves 100 things.
You can trade things for things, like those 28 pans you can't do anything with.
In the Old camp's Outer Ring I went to Huno's smitty at night and made 20 raw steel I found there into 20 crude swords. It may have been 40 or 50 due to the speed bug, I didn't count. With the junk swords I bought nearly everything of value from all the Outer Ring merchants except armor.

You know one way to unuse a torch. If you have two or more go back into your inventory and highlight the other, then use again.

Yes you have to learn sneeking to sneek. When you sneek you will be ducked down.

These things are the way the game works. You will either have to live with it, or not play.

A very good FAQ is available here:
http://gothic.rpgdot.com/index.php
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:44 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

And one more hint
use + turn right x left = one item
use + strafe right x left = ten items
use + shift + strafe righ x left = hudred items
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:54 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I have over twenty-six thousand ore.
Really no use for it; but I would hate to throw it away, you just never can tell
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:58 am

UH, it's me again.
I still can't drop my torch after I have lit it up. I can dump other things, but not the lit torch.
I can only drop it, when I switch to a weapon, then, however, the lit torch sits there on the ground for a whole day (I went to New Camp, then ran all the way back to Old Camp, after a day went by, the torch was still on the ground where I dropped it! It was still lit too!). It has to be a bug.

Anyways, YEAH, the trading system is OKAY, I actually like it, it's more "realistic", the whole trade-bartering thing.

AS for the ORE, it's a totally flawed monetary system.
I was in the caves and there were piles of ore all over, but the game doesn't let you scoop any up.
Also, if anyone could just walk into the mine with a pick-axe to get ore, then how the hell does this stuff have any value at all? I guess that's why they made the game so you can't mine your own ore, that's very laughable, oh well.

Actually, it seems you need around 2000 ore, cuz Diego wants 1200 for Shadow armor, Thorus was about 1000 for entry to the castle, a few hundred here, a few hundred there (Fisk wants 500 just for some crappy armor, "pants").

BUT YEAH, you don't need too much as you progress, I had all sorts of items and ore and shit--I think I got around 1200-1500 right now, probably got quadruple that in items to sell that I don't even use. However, I can't find anyone who actually has enough ore to match the value of some of the items I got. Usually, dealers have a couple hundred ore or so, so it's kinda useless to collect items to sell, when no one has the actual money to buy with, so it all boils down to TRADING, really.
Different, but nice.

Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:41 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

I still can't drop my torch after I have lit it up. I can dump other things, but not the lit torch. I can only drop it, when I switch to a weapon, then, however, the lit torch sits there on the ground for a whole day,

Maybe its only way to drop torches, but yes, it is ot good and not realistic, but torches have unlimited time of giving light...
quote:

Anyways, YEAH, the trading system is OKAY, I actually like it, it's more "realistic", the whole trade-bartering thing.

I am happy that you like it
quote:

AS for the ORE, it's a totally flawed monetary system.
I was in the caves and there were piles of ore all over, but the game doesn't let you scoop any up.

Yes, you can not, maybe you do not know something important...But yes it would be realistic if you can join them in mine and dig some ore for your self
quote:

Also, if anyone could just walk into the mine with a pick-axe to get ore, then how the hell does this stuff have any value at all? I guess that's why they made the game so you can't mine your own ore, that's very laughable, oh well.

Are you really sure? That you can walk there doesnt mean everyone can walk there. Did you noticed this huge guards all over every mine. Do you thing that if someone will come and... they will just watch it?
quote:

Actually, it seems you need around 2000 ore, cuz Diego wants 1200 for Shadow armor, Thorus was about 1000 for entry to the castle, a few hundred here, a few hundred there (Fisk wants 500 just for some crappy armor, "pants").

This shadow armor, yes you do not really need it. You get good armor and not long after you can buy heavy shadow armor, you get guard armor or firemage robe for free.
No you do not need 1000 Thorus, if you give them to him, he lets you go to inner castle, but it is useless, you will not be able to do something usefull there...
quote:

BUT YEAH, you don't need too much as you progress, I had all sorts of items and ore and shit--I think I got around 1200-1500 right now, probably got quadruple that in items to sell that I don't even use. However, I can't find anyone who actually has enough ore to match the value of some of the items I got. Usually, dealers have a couple hundred ore or so, so it's kinda useless to collect items to sell, when no one has the actual money to buy with, so it all boils down to TRADING, really.
Different, but nice.

There will be time [later in game] when you will need to by some more expencive things [for me it was runes, they were really expencive] I also invested around 15000 ore [or things in this value] into potions of swiftness... They allow you to travel trought map far more faster and to kill some enemies far more effectively
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:04 am