FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Random Crashes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Random Crashes

well i played this game for like 10 hours with no problem,starting having random crashes after i left some dungeon (dont remmber name)
neway game seem to freeze up usually when i run or switch alot back and forth to map (menu),running game with gf4 ti4600 28.32 drivers,win me 1700xp,any ideas or suggestions that might helped would be appriciated
Post Wed May 22, 2002 4:47 pm

Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have experienced none of the slowdown associated with the reported memory leak but I do get random crashes when the game loads data for a new area. This can be entering or leaving a dungeon or more usually when walking accross the countryside.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 5:31 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I'm running Morrowind with a p4 1.8 ghz and an ATI Radeon 8500le, i only seem to get dumped to desktop if i've left my computer on for a long time (8 hours or more)

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Wed May 22, 2002 5:48 pm
Nuvian

quote:
Originally posted by Delmonte
I have experienced none of the slowdown associated with the reported memory leak but I do get random crashes when the game loads data for a new area. This can be entering or leaving a dungeon or more usually when walking accross the countryside.

yeps happens mostly on big runs on country side,i can still move mouse pointer around but it cant do anything,cant get back to windows ither,any1 found a solotion to this problem?btw i made the thread,forgot to use a nick before soz
Post Wed May 22, 2002 6:42 pm

Common Morrowind Errors and what may cause them

Just a thought, but the game is very CPU intensive.... After only a few minutes of play, your CPU will be working very hard and producing a lot of heat..... If your bios has a hardware monitoring function, check it out when you haven't used it for a while... This will show you your CPU's temperature without much stress.... if your CPU temperature is 45 C or more with no CPU load, chances are you will get a lot of crashes.... once Morrowind is started, your CPU temp will rise quickly and if it reaches 60 C or more it will cause a lot of trouble... the most common crash caused by cpu heat is a dump to the desktop.... it can also cause the blue-screen error.... if you
do play Morrowind and you CPU is not cooled very well, you will get many random crashes.... if your CPU temperature is high, get a new heatsink... I'd recommend thermaltake Volcano 7.... they cool very well and are quite affordable ($30 Canadian).... get some thermal compund as well (artic silver).... If your not comfortable installing a heatsink, take your system down to a local computer shop... it will only take them a few minutes and make sure they don't try to overcharge you...

another thing you should check is you expansion slots.... if you have any PCI cards in slots 1 or 5 (1st one under the AGP port and last one), they will share an IRQ with your video board.... this isn't a good thing... it won't cause too many errors with older software, but anything that stresses your system (aka Morrowind) will ussually cause random timing errors... make sure to move any PCI cards into slots 2,3,or 4 on your board....
Post Fri May 24, 2002 1:53 am