Members
Usergroups
5 FPS with a GeForce 4?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
WhiteRaven

5 FPS with a GeForce 4?

Yep kids, I'm getting 5 FPS at 800x600 with my shiny new GeForce 4 Ti 4200. The card benchmarks 4 times faster than my old card, yet there seems to be no difference as far as Morrowind is concerned Anyone have any tips how to get this thing up to a decent framerate. I'm already using the hacked Morrowind that turns off the copy protection....

Help! Anyone!
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:36 am

Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You didn't list your system specs. They might help.

Zaal

Yes, that's my face; I'm constipated.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:53 am
WhiteRaven

System Specs

Here ya go...

Duron 900 Mhz
Asus A7Pro motherboard
256MB PC133 SDRAM
60GB ATA66 7200 RPM hard drive
Windows XP

Fairly recent drivers (2 months?)
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:00 am

boinkboink
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: System Specs

I might be wrong ...... but 256MB RAM is the minimum requirement for XP. And also, u are using SDRAM.... i think 5FPS has nothing to do with your GC but its your system as a whole.

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRaven
Here ya go...

Duron 900 Mhz
Asus A7Pro motherboard
256MB PC133 SDRAM
Windows XP

Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:03 am
KPeh
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: System Specs

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRaven
Here ya go...

Duron 900 Mhz
Asus A7Pro motherboard
256MB PC133 SDRAM
Windows XP

Unlike the other games/benchmarks you've been trying, Morrowind is very CPU intensive - so that's your problem here.

And anyway, having a GF4 Ti4200 in a Duron 900Mhz is like putting a Ferari engine in a mini - the mini can only go so fast before the other weaker parts of it 'break' - regardless of the motor.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:42 am
Lisje
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I hate these kind of posts, where its too late to help with any advice you might have offered. But I'm going to say this much anyway...

For anyone else who hasn't done a video/sound upgrade with an older processor but is thinking of it, I'd recommend taking a good hard look at the Hercules products (ATI for video, Fortissimo/Game TheaterXP for sound). They handle more of the processing on the card itself than their Nvidia/Soundblaster counterparts and put far less demand on the CPU. At this point, I can't honestly imagine ever going back to the "big names", though I make it a policy to avoid saying "never".
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:26 am
Guest Dare

Yep, your problem is definately your RAM/processor. It's just screaming road block. Your processor is beefy enough that it should be able to handle things a lot better than your reporting so I'm betting that you just need to double or triple your RAM for a significant performance boost. I don't know what all is compatible with your motherboard/processor but you might want to look into changing the type of RAM your using also, if you can get away with it...
Also, visit some WinXP tweaking sites for instructions on how to improve the gaming performance of your OS. There is a lot of room for tweaking with XP that will definately squeeze more fps into your games.

Make sure you have all the startup programs that you don't need turned off, you'd be surprised what a difference this alone can make. Background programs are also the biggest culperit of game crashes. You may want to unplug your network connection also, especially if you have cable/DSL.

I could probably have a field day tweaking your system

To Lisje:
Hercules makes Nvidia based graphics cards also... and they are a VERY big name. I myself have a Hercules Geforce 3 ti 500 with a nifty purple fan
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:39 am

WhiteRaven

Alright, let me throw a little more fuel on the fire. When I first installed the card, I ran 3DMark2001 on the card just to see how it would perform. It scored four times higher than my old card. However, I see little if any difference in Morrowind. Anyone know why the benchmark would show a huge increase, but there would be no perceptible improvement in Morrowind?
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:39 pm

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Simple. Your benchmark does only graphics drawing routines. Those are generally native to the card and the card can do them fast. Which is what it does.

On the other hand, a lot of what MW does is CPU intensive. Running scripts for each and every NPC around you at all times can be daunting. It's like running 10s of programs in parallel to MW. The thing is, before it can draw the next video frame, it needs to compute what to draw. In order to do that, it needs to compute all the NPC, activator and object scripts/positions/interractions. That computation eats CPU for lunch. Only once its done computing all the objects in the world, does it render an image. Try testing this by lowering/increasing AI distance setting under the options.

I suppose they could've done display rendering separate from object computations, but then people with very good vid cards and lower end CPUs would experience literal lag, as if though they were playing an online game. Things would just warp all over the place and rubberband and such.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:06 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Your first problem is the duron. Second problem is its only 900mhz. Third is the ti4200 sux. Besides if your going to get a better video card you have to keep things even. Get an athlon 1700xp at the least wich is 1.4ghz. Then get the geforce4 ti4600. Then you will run decent fps. But to make things worse this game is the worst designed game in the history of game making. Good luck.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:59 am
Orestes

quote:
Originally posted by Lordr31z
Your first problem is the duron. Second problem is its only 900mhz.
uhh, that's kinda the same thing.
quote:
Third is the ti4200 sux.
bullshit. it's faster than a GeForce 3 Ti500 which is a VERY VERY capable video card today. Also, most 4200's can be overclocked to between 4400 and 4600 speeds.

quote:
Besides if your going to get a better video card you have to keep things even.
makes sense.

quote:
Get an athlon 1700xp at the least wich is 1.4ghz.
1.46 GHz
quote:
Then get the geforce4 ti4600.
not many people have $200 (or whatever the price difference is) lying around for a very small performance increase. you might.
quote:
Then you will run decent fps. But to make things worse this game is the worst designed game in the history of game making. Good luck.
yea, your knowledge is obviously incredibly vast. thanks for that little fact there.

Lisje: I agree with you that the Soundblaster products are way overrated, but so are ATi's chips IMO. I buy the products that are best-supported. That means nVidia's graphics cards. Name brands be damned I buy what works. ATI's driver support doesn't have to be bad (which IMO it was/is) for games to run like ass, not at all, or with graphic glitches if the developers of the games are writing for nVidia's chips.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:24 am

Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

A possible help, I am running a p3 700 500+ ram and a gforce 3 card. I put both desktop and game at same sttings graphic wise, and run game in windowed mode. In this mode I can even run 4x and high quality digital and get great results with very little slowdown.Hope it works for ya
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:58 pm

I dont care what you can afford. I am telling you the facts you tool. The geforce4 ti4200 can be overclocked? Who gives a F@!#k it still sux. 1.46ghz not 1.4ghz ...<<< {TOOL} Do you ever get out? And as far as this morrowind.. Very cool game but the worst game engine and programming ever. You shouldnt even try to argue about that. Go get a life grey skin tool.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:39 pm

Geo

I agree with you Orestes on everything you said. People don't talk trash about GeForce 4 Ti 4200. Because it isn't much slower than it's big brothers, the 4400 and 4600. The difference between the 4200 and the 4400 is only about 5-10% performance drop and I don't think people would want to pay $100 more for that much difference. Also, the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 got better scores in an all the reviews that I've read about the GeForce 4 family.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:43 am

HAHAHA..... Wake up and admit that the 4200 and the 4400 are low end crap. Keep telling yourself that and maybe you will feel better.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:03 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next