View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:

On 2002-03-20 17:15, Chekote wrote:
I hate it, I cant even steal from nice people e.g. Diego without feeling so bad I need to re-load. Is there something wrong with me or what?

You're just a nice person, I guess .

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:48 am
bleedingrose
City Guard
City Guard

Mine would say that I like swords. A lot. Sometimes I swing it just for fun....of course, I do happen to have sword training (sabre fencing (and foil and epee too, but they suck)), so maybe it's accurate after all!!

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:52 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

It's great to meet a fellow fencer on these boards. Although I haven't fenced in awhile. I rather liked Sabre. Of course, sabre tends to get more physical then foil I've noticed. Maybe that's why I like it.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:17 am
bleedingrose
City Guard
City Guard

hehehe...exactly! I was actually going to join the sabre team at my college, but they don't have a women's team, and they wouldn't let me on the men's team. If I cared enough, I could file a lawsuit about that!! Too bad for them, too, 'cuz I'm good.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:19 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You just have to love the *THWAK* sound it makes when you hit your opponents mask.
Have you competed professionally?
I've only fenced at local competitions. There's a school near me that holds lots of competitions and they teach fencing. Both of the instructors are women and they compete on the national level, so I don't have to worry about discrimination.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:25 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Fencing is all well and good... but I preferred training with a hand and a half sword.

It's about as subtle as I am.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:27 am
bleedingrose
City Guard
City Guard

Right on! No, I've never competed professionally because once I was denied from the sabre fencing team, I got kinda discouraged. Yeah, we had a male teacher (although he WAS rather feminine), and I used to kick his arse! We actually had a melee in the class of about 25, fencing foil. Well, I was focusing on sabre, and I actually won the melee anyway! It was pretty darned awesome. The foil fencers were pretty perturbed. I think I must have been some sort of a warrior in a former life. Yeah, EX, I would LOVEEEE to learn hand and a half!! But I can't find anyone to teach me. I used to fantasize while looking at museum replica catalogues. I happen to be an extremely strong girl, so I figured my best bet would be to use a one-handed sword as a hand and a half...to make up for the discrepency in male-female strength ( males are generally stronger--sad but true). That way, I could hide my main gauche because people would think my fighting is two-handed...so if I ever got close, I could stab the hell out of them! But my style is extremely offensive (I hardly bothered with defense), so hopefully I wouldn't ever have to use the last defense--main gauche...of course, seeing as "gauche" is French for "left" (I also happen to be tri-lingual: English, Spanish and French) and I am ambidextrous, it might just be my "main droite"!

[ This Message was edited by: bleedingrose on 2002-03-21 00:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bleedingrose on 2002-03-21 00:39 ]
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:38 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Lucky for me, my dad is really into the martial arts. He's a black belt in Shotokan Karate and he loves sword fighting. So he has been teaching me to use my Ninja-To. Two-handed is definately fun. But frankly it's hard enough trying to find someone to fence with. It's almost impossible to find people who train with any sort of larger swords.

[ This Message was edited by: Val on 2002-03-21 00:56 ]
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:55 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

A four foot blade gets really heavy, really fast. When I was training I used to do 300 pushups a day (a full 100 more than I do now), and spend a long time just holding the blade out straight. Using it one handed was alright for presenting a side profile and slashing in a forward arc if you're stepping back.. but for any real control I used it two. Some guys I trained with used it one handed exclusively... but they had nearly a foot of height and a hundred pounds of weight on me. Size matters.

I couldn't imagine having anything in my left hand... it was always doing something... like countering the blades weight somewhat when I was stepping back and swinging defensively, or gripping the hilt when I wanted to go on the offensive.

Of course, I never sparred with the real metal blade. That's just suicidal (or murderous) until you're a lot better than I was. Fighting with the wooden practice sword was much easier. I used to get in trouble for locking my opponents blade up and sidekicking them...

But that was a decade ago before my back and leg were twisted playing rugby. I've only so much as lifted a sword twice since then... besides a few fencing foils with friends (who kept giving me hell for locking up their blade and sidekicking them. )

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:57 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-03-21 00:57, EverythingXen wrote:
I used to get in trouble for locking my opponents blade up and sidekicking them...

Hey, whatever gets the job done.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:05 am
bleedingrose
City Guard
City Guard

Well right on EX!!! Keep it up, and don't let 'em get you down!! The heaviness is why I figured on using a 1H swod as a 1.5...I'm not (terribly) unrealistic!!

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:05 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I keep meaning to get into Shotokai... there's a dojo just down the street. I haven't practiced martial arts in far too long. But there's that whole time and money thing.

Plus, I really CAN'T support my full weight on my left leg for very long. It begins to ache after as little as a half hours walking. It didn't hurt so much when I was in kickboxing a few years back... until the day after each class.

Just a lesson that 16 year old 5'5, 160 pound boys, no matter how many pushups they could do or weight they could lift, should NOT be tackled by 21 year old, 6'5, 320 pound men. It tends to lead to 26 year old athletically INCLINED men wishing they had not been so blockheaded.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:17 am
bleedingrose
City Guard
City Guard

EX: You're only 26??? You're still very young!! You talk like you're an old man!! My idea of old is like 75...

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:21 am
Gothicman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would just love to say that I LOVE medieval stuff. Im still young (15) but I actually train with 1-handers and 2-handers. I have a couple of actual weapons in my basement. Thanks to my Pa of course. My alltime favorite weapon so far is a Claymore.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Too bad you don't have someone like my dad to teach you Xen. He runs a Karate Club for free at Brigham Young University. Heck, he'd teach anyone who'd take 5 minutes to learn something. He just truely loves the art. Not the sport, but the art. Some of his students like to call him their 'wizened old master', like in those kung fu movies. Although he doesn't really approve of that.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:30 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next