Lionheart: Review @ RPG Codex
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Lionheart: Review @ RPG Codex

RPG Codex has published a <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=98" target="_blank">review</a> of Reflexive's 'Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader'. As usual with the Codex, there is no score but here's an early snippet:<blockquote><em>Lionheart wasn’t a good game by any standards. There was too much click fest combat to make it a good adventure RPG. The combat itself was poorly implemented and thus failed to meet the standards of today’s action RPGs, and Lionheart definitely didn’t qualify to be an RPG in a role-playing kind of way. So, why write a review if the game clearly sucked, you ask? Lionheart should have been a very good, if not a great game. It took a lot of talent and skills to bury that promise. Let’s follow each choice and see where and how it went wrong. </em></blockquote>
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:07 am
Garrett

wow...rpgcodex' style is getting more and more arrogant
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:08 am

Yes, but you do realise that they hit the nail on this one? It`s not like they didn`t predict every single error in design that Lionherat has, and they even warned the creators of the game, but still eveything went the wrong way. So they`re entitled to a "i told you so" session.

B.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:11 pm

Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I agree the the 'Codex can get VERY harsh, but on this occasion they are right. Lionheart was a complete mess of a game.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:12 pm

Arrogant? Care to elaborate, Garrett?
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:16 pm

I'd have to agree with their review; Lionheart was a terrible game.
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:06 pm

Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

No, allow me to disagree -> Lionheart was really a horrible game, and was one of the few games these days that I didn't even bother to finish, although at some point I was determined to see it finish, no matter how bad the ending was.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:06 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I just grabbed the demo, and it looks interesting at the beginning ... I've been warned that it starts off with some promise, but then quickly becomes totally useless. Is that about right?

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:35 pm
niteshade

Yeah that's about accurate. What made Lionheart such a memorable flop was the fact that it should have been a great game, and in fact the beginning of it was really good. The first 1/4 to 1/3 of it in Barcelona was in fact really good with lots of decisions to make and talking to people, roleplaying, and different ways to reach your objectives. However there isn't really a game after that. It's like they ran out of money and just inserted filler (in fact that's almost certainly what really happened). So after that it's just mindless hack and slash. And not fun mindless hack and slash like Diablo. It's just boring and pointless. I kept going through it in the hopes that after the boring combat was over we'd get back to more roleplaying and fun stuff, but it never happens except for one small town you go to later which is actualy fun again. But you only stay there for a small time, and then it's just mindless boring combat again.

So yeah I'd say that review sounds pretty accurate.
Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:16 am